Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JFK to New Jersey

Options
  • 17-08-2015 7:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭

Hi just looking for some advise, I am flying into JFK and we need to go straight to New Jersey to visit cousins, we have gotten quotes of $120 which we can't afford. What is the best bus route to take? I tried looking it up but the whole thing is daunting!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭jjbrien

Where in NJ?

You could take the Subway E line to world trade center and take the Path to Hoboken NJ or Newark NK. Could would be about $10 per person including the airtrain from JFK or take the LIRR to Penn Station then get a NJ Trasit train to NJ

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭Pecker31

Hackensack St, Carlstadt?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

Well to get out of NYC

Airtrain to Jamaica
    LIRR to Penn station and then path to new Jersey.

Well to get out of NYC

Airtrain to Jamaica
    LIRR to Penn station and then path to new Jersey.

Those are the names of the terminals right?!!!

Ok take the A C OR E sunway train to the port autority bus station then NJ transit bus 163 to Hackensack http://www.njtransit.com/pdf/bus/T1162.pdf

• Advertisement

Pecker31 wrote: »

Yes the airtrain from JFK goes to Jamacia station then you catch the subway from there.

Yep well

The airtrain is a train that loops all the terminals in JFK and connects to Jamaica which is a train station.

From Jamaica you can get either an E train (I think) though it goes around the world, or the LIRR which is an express to Penn station stopping in Long island though it's very fast.

The path trains are what connects NYC to New Jersey, so once you get into Manhattan you'll be looking to get that.

If I were you however I would get the LIRR to Manhattan and then get a taxi across to new jersey, might work out a little more expensive though it will probably be worth it and a hell of a lot less than going from JFK to jersey.

jjbrien wrote: »
    Ok take the A C OR E sunway train to the port autority bus station then NJ transit bus 163 to Hackensack http://www.njtransit.com/pdf/bus/T1162.pdf

Wow, sounds easy! Thanks for your help!

Actually never thought of the E to port authority.

Do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Would flying into Newark not have made more sense?

• Advertisement

Would flying into Newark not have made more sense?

Well the OP might have booked flights already no point trying to second guess why hes going to JFK. I usually try for EWR myself but if its cheaper ill head to Philly or JFK

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭Bayberry

Hackensack St, Carlstadt?

If you look for directions from JFK to that address on either maps.google.com or maps.bing.com, you will get the option of switching from the default option of directions for driving to directions for public transport. That will give you some idea of what's involved in the different options, including the time it will take, and how long you have for transfers. You can specify when you will be making the journey as well, which can be handy because it'll take longer during rush hour, but the wait between one bus/train and the next might be longer during off peak times.

It's also worth pointing out that the airtrain itself is free - it just runs within JFK.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

Bayberry wrote: »
    It's also worth pointing out that the airtrain itself is free - it just runs within JFK.

AirTrain is free to travel within the airport but costs $5 if you are going to one of the subway stations.

bee06 wrote: »
    AirTrain is free to travel within the airport but costs $5 if you are going to one of the subway stations.

Fair 'nuf - the fee to take the subway from JFK to downtown is $7.75 instead of the flat $2.75 subway fee.

The fee to take the LIRR to Penn station is $15 instead of $10.

http://www.panynj.gov/airports/jfk-airtrain.html

The OP mentions "we". If there are 4 of you, a taxi might work out cheaper, but I presume that the $120 that you mentioned was per head for an "airport limo"?

Bayberry wrote: »
    Fair 'nuf - the fee to take the subway from JFK to downtown is $7.75 instead of the flat $2.75 subway fee.

The fee to take the LIRR to Penn station is $15 instead of $10.

http://www.panynj.gov/airports/jfk-airtrain.html

The OP mentions "we". If there are 4 of you, a taxi might work out cheaper, but I presume that the $120 that you mentioned was per head for an "airport limo"?

They could get Uber or Lyft which is cheaper again than a Taxi and arriving at that time of night means it would be off peak. OP check out Uber as well if you can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭iusedtoknow

They could get Uber or Lyft which is cheaper again than a Taxi and arriving at that time of night means it would be off peak. OP check out Uber as well if you can.

Uber works out at around 120 due to tolls and going across state lines

TBH - you need to balance hassle verses saving a few $

Getting across to NJ from JFK via public transit is going to take 2.5 hours more or less, after a flight and with luggage - you'd also be looking at $25 (guestimate here) where as you could have door to door for an extra $10 a person

Getting across to NJ from JFK via public transit is going to take 2.5 hours more or less, after a flight and with luggage - you'd also be looking at $25 (guestimate here) where as you could have door to door for an extra $10 a person

The OP didn't say that there are 4 of them, he just said "we". I mentioned the possibility of 4 because public transport costs and taxi costs scale differently.

Advertisement