Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Could any Mac users recommend a Decent USB hub for Mac

Options
  • 17-08-2015 8:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭

Hi folks,

I'm currently working with a 2007 macbook and up until now I've been using it for my video editing and using my pc laptop for music production etc. But recently my pc laptop finally packed in and as I can't afford to replace it yet I'm using the mac for music production now.

Here's my problem: I've only 2 usb ports and with one going toward the audio interface (fast track pro) and the other used by my external hard drive I've no ports left which means I can't use my midi controller Oxygen 8.

I've been using this crappy little advent usb port but it just doesn't work, the mac won't recognise it when it has more than one thing plugged into it and it often struggles if the external hard drive is plugged in so it's time to get a new one methinks.

I can't afford anything too expensive but at the same time there's no point in buying something that won't be any use so I was hoping if there are any mac users who've found a reliable (hopefully affordable) usb hub?

Macs are pretty popular for music production so I'm hoping there must be something out there!!

If anyone could point me in the right direction that would be really appreciated.

Thanks!

Ps. (just a side note I've got the bootcamp set up on the mac so I can use the session files and vsts from my old pc recordings but I also do some recording in mac mode...most will be in pc mode - windows on my mac - via bootcamp...don't know if that's relevant at all but thought I should mention it just in case)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭TroutMask

Any decent hub will do it. If power is an issue (as in: too many powered devices drawing juice off the same USB socket) then you might need to get one of those hubs that has a 5V adapter – this boosts the USB power rails so that you don't get those annoying underpowered messages. Some external hard disks can draw a lot, and not all Macs are the same: my old Macbook Pro would power any device, USB or Firewire; my new one frequently sulks on both the USBs and the FW.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭ZV Yoda

I had similar issues in the past & found that getting a powered USB hub (i.e. with its own power supply) solved the problem.

This is the one I have.

It's never given me any probs (touch wood). I bought it new about 5 or 6 years ago & have used it with various iMacs/MBPs in that time.

Advertisement