Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog in Mayfield stabbed to death.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

Heard it on Neil Prendeville this morning. Very worrying for all pet owners and just sickening to think of the evil in the city...

• Registered Users Posts: 2 beltainerose

A friend in Animal Welfare told me today that it was youngsters who did this .She did not know their ages but if that is true I fear for the future ..What must a child have seen for this to be how they behave..That poor wee dog ,heartbreaking and I bet this is not the 1st time ..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

poor little dog. What goes through the mind of someone that can do that to an animal.
    I hope they catch the little f**kers and make them suffer.

Unfortunately more people probably are more upset by this, than if a person was brutally stabbed.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭cardinal tetra

poor little dog. What goes through the mind of someone that can do that to an animal.
    I hope they catch the little f**kers and make them suffer.

Unfortunately more people probably are more upset by this, than if a person was brutally stabbed.

Rightly so. A dog can't defend itself. Go to the police. Cry for help. I would cry for a random dog I did not know. Not for a person I didn't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭barneystinson

Rightly so. A dog can't defend itself. Go to the police. Cry for help. I would cry for a random dog I did not know. Not for a person I didn't know.

Huh? How does that make any sense to you? How the f%#k is a person who's being stabbed going to go to the police?! A person or a dog, overpowered and helpless, stabbed to death - and you say the dog's case evokes more sympathy in you, I think you need help yourself.

Unless you're a dog. In which case, top marks for literacy, have a Scooby snack on me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭cardinal tetra

Huh? How does that make any sense to you? How the f%#k is a person who's being stabbed going to go to the police?! A person or a dog, overpowered and helpless, stabbed to death - and you say the dog's case evokes more sympathy in you, I think you need help yourself.

Unless you're a dog. In which case, top marks for literacy, have a Scooby snack on me.

Why is that so hard for you to understand?
    That I could empathise more with a dog being stabbed than a human being?

I would equate a dog being stabbed to death to that of a baby. Both helpless and innocent.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭barneystinson

I would equate a dog being stabbed to death to that of a baby. Both helpless and innocent.

How any more so than a (adult) person?

"Helpless" - if outnumbered or overpowered, an adult human is no better off / equipped tha a dog.

"Innocent" - what does this even mean? If a person who is unlucky enough to be in the wrong place at the wrong time gets stabbed, they're less "innocent" than a dog in similar circumstances?!

You're making no sense.

And just to be clear, I'd love to see whoever did this shot with a ball of their own excrement, but your posts are nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Missyelliot2

Give it up .....it raised a smile, but you look like a saddo:D

• Registered Users Posts: 24,153 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

I'm posting as a Dub because this sort of barbarism is going on here too. I think people are getting away from the core point that there are people around, existing with a new sort of mental level, a lack of morality, a lack of reality, a complete disconnection.

I'd be a fairly straight up person, try to do right by others, live and let live, help out a neighbour in need, mind my own business where it isnt wanted. However I believe too that the justice system as it now stands is entirely impotent for dealing with people like these. It just doesnt phase them or discourage them. These sorts were lost to society at an early age, and we don't need to hear a rehearsal of their deprived circumstances.

The only correct and just action on the occasion that a defenceless animal is tortured to death, like something out of the background of a serial killer, is the type of punishment that would have been dealt out to drug dealers by paramilitaries in days gone by. If they turned up crippled in a ditch it wouldnt be enough for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

How serious are the Gardai taking this? There are folk ringing into 96 and Red FM saying they know who might have done it, would the Gardai be expected to follow up on this or would the radio shows pass the details on? Assuming the callers were genuine and not stooges for the two shows in question.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Larbre34 wrote: »
    The only correct and just action on the occasion that a defenceless animal is tortured to death, like something out of the background of a serial killer, is the type of punishment that would have been dealt out to drug dealers by paramilitaries in days gone by. If they turned up crippled in a ditch it wouldnt be enough for them.

I really hate posts like this. It was apparently some children who did this? I'd like to see them psychologically assessed for a start, and their own backgrounds checked for abuse.

I'm not going to join the mob calling for some potentially brain-damaged abused children to be kneecapped.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Sure why not send them off to the Caribbean on a holiday altogether? FFS, its rubbish like that which empowers scum to go and do their scummy thing. They know they can play the "disadvantaged background/don't know any better card" and people will say "sure god love them, they come from a disadvantaged background and they don't know any better. Maybe send them on a cruise to the Caribbean".

Vigilante justice isn't the answer either, but I know if I saw someone attempting this on my dog its me who would need the Caribbean holiday.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭calnand

I think the monatary reward for information would be better used by donating it to the CSPCA.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,032 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

gimmick wrote: »
    Sure why not send them off to the Caribbean on a holiday altogether? FFS, its rubbish like that which empowers scum to go and do their scummy thing. They know they can play the "disadvantaged background/don't know any better card" and people will say "sure god love them, they come from a disadvantaged background and they don't know any better. Maybe send them on a cruise to the Caribbean".

Vigilante justice isn't the answer either, but I know if I saw someone attempting this on my dog its me who would need the Caribbean holiday.

To be fair, no one suggested that they should be sent on a cruise, or even that they should escape punishment. I agree that some serious assessment is required if children did this and looking at possible abuse situations that they might be in - and rectifying the situation and possibly taking action against any possible abusers. There is something seriously wrong with kids that do something like this and something seriously wrong with their environment to produce kids like this. It needs investigation.

No one was condoning the act, just decrying the whole vigilante mob rule sentiment that always gets trotted out in situations like this.

if so, I'd rank you a level above the "people" who did this
    no animal (human or dog) should be made suffer like that poor dog, but to have less empathy for a person than a dog suggests there is something amiss with you.

pwurple wrote: »
    I really hate posts like this. It was apparently some children who did this? I'd like to see them psychologically assessed for a start, and their own backgrounds checked for abuse.

I'm not going to join the mob calling for some potentially brain-damaged abused children to be kneecapped.

and should it transpire that these were kids, what should be done? They're psychologically assessed and it transpires they did this as "a cry for help", they didn't get enough cuddles? What is appropriate sanction? I'd like to see the parents held responsible.

I'm no profiler, but I imagine anyone that can do this to a dog, would have no problem doing it to a person. this suggests some serious intervention is required.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,032 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I'm no profiler, but I imagine anyone that can do this to a dog, would have no problem doing it to a person. this suggests some serious intervention is required.

Which is exactly what the poster you quoted wants - intervention.

The vigilantes, on the other hand would have the kid beaten to within an inch of his/her life as if said kid might learn a lesson and never go on to reoffend.:rolleyes:

That kind of mentality would surely increase the chances of the kid going on to do some serious harm to a person.

Also lets exchange the hypothetical "didn't get enough cuddles" with a hypothetical "was grossly sexually and physically assaulted from a young age".
    Would that change anything? (hypothetically)

Which is exactly what the poster you quoted wants - intervention.

The vigilantes, on the other hand would have the kid beaten to within an inch of his/her life as if said kid might learn a lesson and never go on to reoffend.:rolleyes:

That kind of mentality would surely increase the chances of the kid going on to do some serious harm to a person.

Also lets exchange the hypothetical "didn't get enough cuddles" with a hypothetical "was grossly sexually and physically assaulted from a young age".
    Would that change anything? (hypothetically)

so society/social services has failed the perpetrators?
    plenty of people unfortunately were/are physically and/or sexually abused, very few of them go on to do this to a dog. if these were kids that were abused it shouldn't take a tortured dog to have them removed from their abusive environment.

lets introduce "what if the person is just a f**king scumbag", and maybe people should be held responsible for their actions, or that of their kids.

TBH, if i found someone that did that to my dog, I'm not sure it would be the cops i'd be calling.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Paz-CCFC

Maybe if we assessed children like the person/people who attacked this dog, we might prevent future attacks on innocent people and animals? And maybe if we could get to people and treat them before they actually do something wrong, we could prevent them from becoming criminals?

Nah, that sounds like work and effort. Let's just beat the sh*te out of them. That definitely won't make things worse.

gimmick wrote: »

You think getting to the root of the cause is a caribbean holiday?

There is something very seriously wrong with someone, if beating a small animal to death is what they do for fun.

Get out the probes and find out what it is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

You think getting to the root of the cause is a caribbean holiday?

I think you completely misinterpreted that post.

Ludo wrote: »
    I think you completely misinterpreted that post.

Or I'm showing that they completely misinterpreted mine....

and should it transpire that these were kids, what should be done? They're psychologically assessed and it transpires they did this as "a cry for help", they didn't get enough cuddles? What is appropriate sanction? I'd like to see the parents held responsible.

They definitely need some intervention, but how on earth can you decide what that is before you know all the details?

Do you think there are people who beats small dogs to death and are normal and well? Because I think there must be something fairly seriously wrong with them to be able to do this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭holyhead

First off R.I.P. Marvin. Poor little jack russell. Makes me almost sick when I think of what they did to him. I really hope the little gurriers who did this to him are caught. The problem is what do you do then. As they are likely children can you hold the parents responsible for there actions. I think naming and shaming the kids and maybe there parents would be a good start. Maybe if they were subjected to social isolation it might make the parents wake up and smell the coffee about what is socially acceptable. I certainly wouldn't be going down the namby pamby route of making excuses for outlandish behaviour towards a defenseless animal. What those feckers did to the dog was barbaric. If it was a human the papers would be full of psycho kids on the loose headlines. Could you make a case for withholding state money for a year if there parents are in receipt of? Maybe the're rich kids who knows. Either way this has to stop and only the fear of consequences will help avoid a repeat.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

The treatment of people who are capable of inflicting such pain is best left to experts. If it was a child it could be any one of a number of issues, a severely abused or neglected child, a child with mental health issues who may not have known what they were doing, a form of hazing or intimidation....rather than attack first or blame the parents ( this kind of behaviour is possibly more than just lazy parenting ) I'd like to see help and medical attention. If there is no intervention I dread to think what they might do next.

They definitely need some intervention, but how on earth can you decide what that is before you know all the details?

Do you think there are people who beats small dogs to death and are normal and well? Because I think there must be something fairly seriously wrong with them to be able to do this.

there is the possibility that these were just common garden scumbags; no doubt one of them videoed it for later gratification.

any word on those responsible?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Justin Credible Darts

Other way around. This thread is older.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Dannyboy83

No one was condoning the act, just decrying the whole vigilante mob rule sentiment that always gets trotted out in situations like this.

I understand your sentiment but let us not pretend people will not respond to judicial failure by some other means. Vigilante deterrence is one of a number of outcomes when laws are not enforced.
    And even when laws are enforced - if people feel sufficiently threatened...it's just a few months ago that a convicted rapist was beaten and hunted out of Cork. And a radio host was cheering them on if anyone recalls.

This week, a viciously tortured Jack Russell in Cork.
    Last week, a dog blinded in both eyes with acid in Waterford.

It may very well be that this bloodcurdling act in Cork this week was committed by some deeply disturbed children, but we know there are plenty of examples where this is not the case...

This was just over 2 weeks ago:
    After failed attempts to suffocate his 9-year-old family dog in the field, Dowling was then seen swinging the dog overhead by its lead and smashing it repeatedly into the ground as he walked through Clonliffe College Park, which at the time was full of children and their parents.

Witnesses said they saw Mr Dowling putting his foot on the dog’s head while it was on the ground and pulling the lead tight. They also said they saw him “smash” the dog into the ground up to 30 times as he walked through the park.
    The father-of-one pleaded guilty to killing a protected animal at the Dublin Circuit Criminal Court but claimed he thought it was the right thing to do as he could not afford the sick dog’s vet bills. He also claimed to have no knowledge about the euthanasia service procedure provided by the Irish Blue Cross.

With a verdict that has absolutely flabbergasted local animal welfare groups, Judge Martin Nolan sentenced Dowling to just 200 hours of community service and shockingly did not bar 44-year-old from keeping animals in the future. He said he would not impose a ban on Mr Dowling keeping animals, as he “didn’t want to deprive the man’s child of having a dog.” and noted that Mr Dowling was caring for a child and was a “contributing member of society.”
    In a statement, the DSPCA said they had written to Director of Public Prosecutions requesting that the leniency of the sentence in this case be appealed.
    “Our inspectors have seldom seen such blatant cruelty to an animal perpetrated in full view of children and parents in a public park,” they said.

“The DSPCA are calling for the full implementation of the penalties under the Animal Health and Welfare Act 2013 in this brutal and horrific case of animal cruelty.
    “Given that this animal was a family pet, we are also at a loss to understand why a lifetime ban on the ownership of animals has not been imposed on this individual.”

Animal abuse is on the increase in Ireland in general and legislation is not the problem, the problem is failure to enforce it.
    http://theoutspokenpost.com/2015/02/02/irelands-animal-cruelty-crisis/

Even those who attempt to rescue the animals have been targeted.
    An animal welfare officer — a star of the RTÉ TV series Animal Rescue — revealed yesterday how she had to quit her job after receiving threats and verbal abuse from Travellers.

She told the Employment Appeals Tribunal sitting in Galway she had been employed full-time by the GSPCA in 2006 and part-time from 2009 when the recession hit. She left the job in late February or early March of 2012 suffering from depression.

“I was threatened by Travellers over one case I can remember,” said Ms Zanon. “They knew where I was living and they followed into a bog to get an animal. Then they cornered me in the van. They threatened me and I got panic attacks.”

As many as 20 dogs a day are being stolen by a gang in Co Kildare, with gardaí confirming that in some cases they are returned to owners for a reward which is in effect a ransom.
    Dog owners warned to be vigilant against dognappers after mysterious chalk marks appear

DOG owners have been warned to be extra vigilant after the appearance of mysterious chalk markings on properties following a spate of dognappings.

When a convicted rapist is chased out of Cork, it must send the message to other rapists, that rapists are not causally tolerated here.

Hypothetically speaking, if an animal murderer lost a hand, I'd imagine it would send the same message.

• Advertisement

Dannyboy83 wrote: »
    I understand y... I'd imagine it would send the same message.

i think too often there's an assumption that the people who do evil stuff like this have either suffered abuse; are mentally defective; or are for some reason temporarily not responsible.

Sure we should determine if there is an underlying reason, but some people are just that, evil. Not sick, evil. Nasty pieces of work. They have no regard for other human beings, animals or society's norms in general. Society hasnt failed them, they have failed society, so why should they be tolerated in it.

hopefully the 11K offered will result in one of the scumbags squealing.

Advertisement