Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Two week old iPhone 6

• 17-08-2015 9:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 30,731 ✭✭✭✭

So I bought my iPhone 6 two weeks ago, the first day or two I thought the battery was great but since then I find I get about eight hours out of the battery at most.

I have friends with the same phone and they'd get over 24 hours!!

I don't have a lot of apps, I have location turned off, wifi is always off!!

Anything else I may be missing to try extend the battery life?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

So I bought my iPhone 6 two weeks ago, the first day or two I thought the battery was great but since then I find I get about eight hours out of the battery at most.

8 hours is about right for an average user. 24 hours? In their dreams...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,234 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Are you charging it till it's done and plugging it out or leaving it in overnight? Easiest way to kill your battery stone dead is to routinely overcharge it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

naasrd wrote: »
    8 hours is about right for an average user. 24 hours? In their dreams...

I'd be a heavy enough user and I easily get 16 hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Mick Murdock

It depends on usage. 8 hours seems right if it's heavy-ish usage. If you are a moderate user there may be an issue.

24 hours if you never use the phone, perhaps!

You won't kill a battery stone dead in 2 weeks..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30,731 ✭✭✭✭princess-lala

I have it charged before I go to sleep, it gets to 100% then! In the morning it could be down to 90% (all apps closed)

Then by 4pm it's down under 20%! I have to charge it on the way home from work every day!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

It's worth trying a restore anyway

Sounds like it's faulty to me..

Check what apps are using the most juice. Sometimes a particular app installation can cause your battery to drain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,906 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

sdanseo wrote: »
    Are you charging it till it's done and plugging it out or leaving it in overnight? Easiest way to kill your battery stone dead is to routinely overcharge it.

You can't overcharge the iPhone battery. Leaving it plugged in overnight isn't a bad thing and won't affect battery life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭YouTookMyName

screen brightness will kill the battery.

Apps being used most would be Safari and Facebook!

I totally understand when I'm at home with nothing to do all day and I'm on the phone non stop but when I'm working and rarely touching the phone the battery is still going down at an alarming rate??

• Advertisement

screen brightness will kill the battery.

It's down quite low and I have the auto-brightness off!

Post screenshots of what you see in settings > general > usage > battery usage for both the last 24 hours & also one for the last 7 days.

Is it dropping 30/40/50/60% when unused during your work day? Or are you killing the battery on the way to work, during lunch etc.

I use my phone pretty much all day for work (has a similar battery but larger screen than 6) and I usually get about 6-7 hours before having to charge.

If it's faulty return it to where you bought it.

Here we go

Is it dropping 30/40/50/60% when unused during your work day? Or are you killing the battery on the way to work, during lunch etc.

Say it's 80% when I arrive to work at 9, at 12 it could be down to 50/60% and I may have touched it once and possibly not have even opened the home screen!

Here we go

Seems like you're doing a lot of web based usage on a 3G connection and a low signal at that. Your phone struggling with signal on those apps will never be good for battery. Compare your usage to the fact that you would be getting 10 hours of usage on a wifi connection. Safari & FB on 3G + signal issues = 6-7 hours.

Do you have background app refresh turned on?

People saying they get 24 hours of usage are either not being honest or genuinely just use their phone for SMS.

If you honestly think you have an issue, call a Apple who can confirm over the phone if you have an issue with the battery hardware (unlikely).

I usually have pretty decent coverage, 4G mostly!

Very rarely am I down to 3G!

Turn off background app refresh and if you go to location settings and the system services section you can pretty much turn everything off in there except the find my iPhone part.

Test for a few days and report back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭NorthStars

As far as I know, the battery takes a good few cycles to reach optimum performance.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

FourFourFM wrote: »
    Seems like you're doing a lot of web based usage on a 3G connection and a low signal at that. Your phone struggling with signal on those apps will never be good for battery. Compare your usage to the fact that you would be getting 10 hours of usage on a wifi connection. Safari & FB on 3G + signal issues = 6-7 hours.

Do you have background app refresh turned on?

People saying they get 24 hours of usage are either not being honest or genuinely just use their phone for SMS.

If you honestly think you have an issue, call a Apple who can confirm over the phone if you have an issue with the battery hardware (unlikely).

Why would anyone lie about the battery life they get? I'm not a heavy user, emails during the day, a few texts and calls and I only need to charge by the second night. I got it replaced a while ago when the battery started dropping like the OPs. Apple said they could see it was draining too fast with their diagnostic check.

• Advertisement

whiterebel wrote: »
    Why would anyone lie about the battery life they get? I'm not a heavy user, emails during the day, a few texts and calls and I only need to charge by the second night. I got it replaced a while ago when the battery started dropping like the OPs. Apple said they could see it was draining too fast with their diagnostic check.

Not so much that they are lying, maybe more they aren't describing the battery life correctly.

The big diffference is usage vs standby time. Someone saying "Oh I get 2 days out of a single charge" can often mean that they are getting 5 hours of on screen usage time and 48 hours on standby. Everyone will use their phone differently so you can't really compare to someone else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

I managed to get 19 hours 57 mins standby on my iPhone 6 before it hit 20%, in saying that though there was less than 2 hours usage. I'm on the public beta and would use the phone much more but was just busy that day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

I usually have pretty decent coverage, 4G mostly!

Very rarely am I down to 3G!

Try and connect to wifi at work if possible. Also it's the strength of the signal that matters to your power consumption.

Basically a low signal means your radio chip has to ramp up power to communicate and to amplify incoming signals.

With usage being almost 50% on Safari & Facebook & on 4G or 3G, she isn't going to get the battery life she is expecting. The apps are also suggesting low signal. Having 4G doesn't mean she has a strong connection.

Background app refresh being turned off should help squeeze more out of the battery though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

With usage being almost 50% on Safari & Facebook & on 4G or 3G, she isn't going to get the battery life she is expecting. The apps are also suggesting low signal. Having 4G doesn't mean she has a strong connection.

Background app refresh being turned off should help squeeze more out of the battery though.

Safari probably doesn't do much in the back ground but FB could be downloading any number of posts.

Turn background app off for both, location off for most things and get into wifi.

get into wifi.

Unfortunately at the moment I have no access to wifi! Hopefully within the next month I will.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,234 ✭✭✭sdanseo

You can't overcharge the iPhone battery. Leaving it plugged in overnight isn't a bad thing and won't affect battery life.

I've always found the opposite. If I charge overnight over the course of a few weeks, I'll start to get noticeably less battery life the next day and I've seen it on 3 different iPhones (as well as other models).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭YouTookMyName

Tinder eh?

How you doin'?

Well Aren't ye just a bunch of clever clogs :D battery is still at 63% :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭waynegalway

Safari probably doesn't do much in the back ground but FB could be downloading any number of posts.

Turn background app off for both, location off for most things and get into wifi.

Facebook is a battery killer, full stop! Even with background refresh turned off, it was chugging away at my battery (I'm iOS9 beta so I could see a bit more detail on the battery stats).

A good tip, if Facebook continues to show up in the battery usage even with background refresh turned off, is to give Facebook the boot for a week and access it through Safari. Granted, it might not look as slick as the app, but try it for a week and see what you think of it and what it does for your battery.

Advertisement