Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Two week old iPhone 6

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,906 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

Well Aren't ye just a bunch of clever clogs :D battery is still at 63% :)

I deal with that type of thing every day so was well used to it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭Type 17

Re battery life, I charge mine (6 plus) all night, every night (8+ hours), and don't use the phone much (virtually no calls, only an hour of surfing etc). It's on wi-fi at work and home and auto screen brightness is on (good for battery life), but wi-fi, 3G, Bluetooth, background app refresh and location services are always on (bad for battery life).

When going to bed, the battery is usually in the high 70's or low 80's percent remaining, and my last iPhone, a 5s, was the same after 18 month's of this usage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

I can manage 2 days with light usage on my 6. 24 hours should be no bother for moderate usage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭waynegalway

I can manage 2 days with light usage on my 6. 24 hours should be no bother for moderate usage.

Key phrase there is "light usage". I find that the standby time is incredible, far better than anything I ever got out of android. With wifi and mobile data turned off at night, the phone only loses about 1-2% in about 7-8 hours. So with "light" usage I could easily get well over 24 hours, but in reality, with what I would consider essential usage for a phone of this type, 24 hours is pretty much the most I can squeeze out of a charge. If I was on the train for a couple of hours from Galway to Dublin, playing a few games or something like that, I'd say I'd be lucky to get 6-7 hours out of a charge. Intensity of usage plays a huge role, and everyone uses their phone differently. I know that if I barely touched it, in theory it would last 48 hours. But that won't happen because I like to actually USE it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30,731 ✭✭✭✭princess-lala

In fairness I like to use my phone but when I'm in work for 9-11 hours a day I'm not near it, I may send a few texts during the day and use it on my lunch but that's it!

I wouldn't be a heavy user during the day at all!! It's now at 4% And realistically I only started to use it at 7:45 when I got home!!

Gah is it a fault or what? :mad:

• Advertisement

iPhone 6 plus.

Everything turned on except for Bluetooth & Mobile data. Connected to wifi all day, location services turned on for every app & all system services, background app refresh on, push for all iCloud services inc mail, push notifications for most apps, handoff on, automatic downloads and updates.

Discharged at around 9:30, died pretty much 12 hours later. Solid 8 hours usage.

Tinder must be killing the battery :pac:

Tbh that seems good for iPhone 6. If you were connected to WiFi more often your usage time could be around 8 hours or more.

Wifi at home should be sorted in two weeks! Depending on Eircom :rolleyes:

Unfortunately no wifi in work :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

FourFourFM wrote: »
    iPhone 6 plus.

Everything turned on except for Bluetooth & Mobile data. Connected to wifi all day, location services turned on for every app & all system services, background app refresh on, push for all iCloud services inc mail, push notifications for most apps, handoff on, automatic downloads and updates.

Discharged at around 9:30, died pretty much 12 hours later. Solid 8 hours usage.
    How is your home screen usage so high? Leaving it unlocked sitting there is hardly any useful usage.

• Advertisement

I notice in the screenshots above that the iOS system is suggesting turning on Auto Screen Brightness - you should do it, as it actually dims the screen during indoor usage, which is more common/likely for most people.

PS: It really is the usage that counts - while I have 70-80% at bedtime on weekdays, weekends mean a lot more screen-time and with much more standby time/usage spent outside of wi-fi. So today (Saturday, 16:50hrs), my battery is already at 56%.

guil wrote: »
    How is your home screen usage so high? Leaving it unlocked sitting there is hardly any useful usage.

Why do you think it is sitting there unlocked? It isn't. It auto locks after 1 minute. That makes up the times the lock screen is woken either by the user or by a notification. I have most of my apps set for notifications and I check my phone a lot throughout the day as its front of me on my desk.

I use mine a lot as well and auto lock is set for 3 mins but I never have more than 10% home and lock screen

What's your brightness set to?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭mohawk

The biggest thing I have noticed with my 6 is that the battery doesn't really drop unless I am actually using the phone. When I wake up in the morning my battery will have only dropped ~3% even with notifications for Facebook, Twitter etc turned on.

It sounds a bit weird that your battery drains so much when the phone isn't being used.

What's your brightness set to?

Automatic

Key phrase there is "light usage". I find that the standby time is incredible, far better than anything I ever got out of android. With wifi and mobile data turned off at night, the phone only loses about 1-2% in about 7-8 hours. So with "light" usage I could easily get well over 24 hours, but in reality, with what I would consider essential usage for a phone of this type, 24 hours is pretty much the most I can squeeze out of a charge.

Well when I said light usage, I mean I'm not excessively trying to prolong the life. I never turn off wifi, mobile data or bluetooth. I'd regularly have 1 bar of coverage so I'd imagine the phone is trying constantly to boost the signal. And I'd use the phone for whatever I need to when I need to. I never use sleep mode, phone receives all fb/messenger/email/etc notifications, all the time. Its still essential usage.

Currently 1 day, 5 hours and 30 mins since last charge. Battery at 72%. Using the phone as normal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

You are still getting the low signal remarks on the usage monitor. When wifi is sorted at home you'll solve the battery drain at home problem.

Currently 1 day, 5 hours and 30 mins since last charge. Battery at 72%. Using the phone as normal.

2 days 6 hours give or take since last charge. That's 54 hours. Still 33% left.

2 days 6 hours give or take since last charge. That's 54 hours. Still 33% left.

Can you post a screen shot of the battery info? Probably need 2 pics to get all the usage info and standby time etc.

• Advertisement

guil wrote: »
    Can you post a screen shot of the battery info? Probably need 2 pics to get all the usage info and standby time etc.

I'll put one up when its around 1-2%

I'll put one up when its around 1-2%

It's still going?? :eek:

It's still going?? :eek:

Day 3: They still haven't noticed I'm not dead

D89XRI7.jpg

That's great battery life but you have tiny usage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bmm

Hoping the old 5c model gets a bit cheaper too !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,064 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

bmm wrote: »
    Hoping the old 5c model gets a bit cheaper too !

If you are likely to store stuff on the device, I'd proceed with caution. There is only a little over 5gb useable space on the base 8gb 5C. It's ridiculous.

dodzy wrote: »
    If you are likely to store stuff on the device, I'd proceed with caution. There is only a little over 5gb useable space on the base 8gb 5C. It's ridiculous.

And the 5c is likely to be discontinued when the 6s launches.

And the 5c is likely to be discontinued when the 6s launches.

You mean the 6c?

You mean the 6c?

There was never a new, cheaper-market phone launched with the 6 & 6Plus, they just continued selling the 5s and the 5c.

• Advertisement

Type 17 wrote: »
    There was never a new, cheaper-market phone launched with the 6 & 6Plus, they just continued selling the 5s and the 5c.

Seeing as I have a launch day 6, I'm fairly certain I know what was launched :pac:

My point was the 6s won't replace the 5c. The 5c will probably be discontinued after the launch event, but because the 6c which will launch alongside the 6s is replacing the 5c.

Advertisement