Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neighbour Moved Caravan to Housing Estate (Mod warning post #7)

Options
  • 17-08-2015 10:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Neighbours pulled up with hitch caravan with jeep. Spoke to guards & they said that the weight restriction for towing was not really enforced in Ireland. Has anyone successfully got their neighbours to move their Caravan in an estate as it brings down the estate & is unsightly! What's more is the neighbours are only renting & no one seems to know who the landlord is.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Have you talked to your local council?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Into The Blue

What on earth did you say to the gardaí when you rang to report your neighbours for having a caravan?

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭cassid

There are two guys living in a caravan at the back of my house. Sound <mod snip>, I can't see them as have large old trees, one of our neighbours wants to report them but I reckon if they had loads of money they would not be living in a caravan in a rented house in the first place. They do no harm and are quiet. I would not be too concerned about a caravan in the driveway but each to their own

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭ronan45

<Mod snip>
    Max of 9 months every year its allowed stay there for storage only mind you
    Not for living in

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Funkyfox

What on earth did you say to the gardaí when you rang to report your neighbours for having a caravan?

Vehicles (other than work vehicles or land tractors) having a MAM1 exceeding 3,500 kg (Caravan+Jeep weight total -this would most definitely be over which pushes it into the Licence Category C.

Licence Category C: Trucks having a MAM* exceeding 3,500 kg, having passenger accommodation for not more than 8 persons in addition to the driver and where the MAM* of the trailer is not greater than 750 kg.

So, it is a matter for the Guards if the driver does not have a C Licence or the correct insurance!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Mod Note:
    Can I ask all posters to familiarise yourselves with the A&P charter and boards rules before replying further in this thread. A number of posts have been deleted, consider this a warning.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Maybe its a job for the ex top gear dudes.

They really hated caravans but had some amount of fun.

There are certain regulations for different councils where certain vehicles/caravans can only be parked up for only a certain amount of time.

Is it enforced probably not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭ronan45

Fingal County Council

15. Can I store caravans and boats?
    One caravan, one campervan or one boat may be stored
    in your garden for up to 9 months of the year as long as it
    is not lived in or used for business purposes

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Funkyfox

Paulw wrote: »
    Have you talked to your local council?

Private estate. Nothing to do with Council really.

• Site Banned Posts: 777 ✭✭✭Youngblood.III

Funkyfox wrote: »
    Vehicles (other than work vehicles or land tractors) having a MAM1 exceeding 3,500 kg (Caravan+Jeep weight total -this would most definitely be over which pushes it into the Licence Category C.

Licence Category C: Trucks having a MAM* exceeding 3,500 kg, having passenger accommodation for not more than 8 persons in addition to the driver and where the MAM* of the trailer is not greater than 750 kg.

So, it is a matter for the Guards if the driver does not have a C Licence or the correct insurance!

Did you know the tow rating of the jeep? and the jeep and caravans weight?

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 777 ✭✭✭Youngblood.III

Nothing to do with the op as well....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,311 ✭✭✭alias no.9

If its a single axel caravan, its unlikely that they needed anything more than a B licence, even if the MAM of the train did go above what's allowed on a B, an EB licence rather than a C licence would be required, C would be useless in that circumstance.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

first of all they actually only need an EB licence and they can tow a caravan up to 3500kg gvw , you'd be surprised how large a caravan comes in under this weight. most of the landcruiser / discovery size 4x4s and almost all the pickups can tow around 3 tonnes , some getting to 3.5

secondly they'd have to be caught actually towing it for a licence issue

thirdly , OP is it an old caravan or in disrepair ? , I don't think newer ones look that unsightly , especially if it can be put to the side of a garden etc..

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Is it a caravan that they use to go on holidays with? or is it an unsightly wreck?is someone living in it?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,344 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Yes it is as it relates to planning and development.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭desertcircus

Neighbours pulled up with hitch caravan with jeep. Spoke to guards & they said that the weight restriction for towing was not really enforced in Ireland. Has anyone successfully got their neighbours to move their Caravan in an estate as it brings down the estate & is unsightly! What's more is the neighbours are only renting & no one seems to know who the landlord is.

What are you hoping for here? Law enforcement aren't interested, possibly because no violation of the law has occurred. At this point, going any further with it simply isn't an option.

Aside from the nitty-gritty, why do you think you should have any say over what your neighbour chooses to park in their driveway?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

ronan45 wrote: »
    <Mod snip>
    Max of 9 months every year its allowed stay there for storage only mind you
    Not for living in
    ronan45 wrote: »
    Fingal County Council

15. Can I store caravans and boats?
    One caravan, one campervan or one boat may be stored
    in your garden for up to 9 months of the year as long as it
    is not lived in or used for business purposes

I always thought it was 6mth. Maybe that's just round where I live.

OP what resolution are you hoping for? It is not against the rules to store a caravan in your garden, the fact that they are renters changes nothing. I am assuming it is a normal looking caravan, not a wreck, and that nobody is living in it.

As to the weight restrictions. A, that is not an A&P issue, B you cannot be sure of the weight restrictions of the specific jeep and caravan in this case and C, I doubt you know WHAT kind of licence the neighbour holds.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,209 ✭✭✭mel123

They are causing no harm, no disturbance, no issues only its 'unsightly' in your estate?

Get over yourself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

This thread is going nowhere fast. Making work for the mods is against the charter. Thread closed

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement