Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Macbook Pro or Macbook Air?

• 17-08-2015 10:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hi Guys,

I'm a student going into a journalism course and I need a laptop for college. I was thinking of getting a Macbook as I've always wanted one. From my research the Macbook Pro is said to be better than the Macbook Air. The Air is lighter and more compact, and easier to manage though the Pro is said to be a better machine. There is a significant price difference between the two, with the Pro being the more expensive. While this isn't a major problem, is there a significant difference between the quality of the two? and is it enough to justify the higher price tag?

Also, I've heard that the keyboard on the Macbook Air is uncomfortable for typing on a lot. From anyone's experiences with the Air is this the case? My studies will probably require a lot of typing, so this is a concern for me.

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Hi Guys,

I'm a student going into a journalism course and I need a laptop for college. I was thinking of getting a Macbook as I've always wanted one. From my research the Macbook Pro is said to be better than the Macbook Air. The Air is lighter and more compact, and easier to manage though the Pro is said to be a better machine. There is a significant price difference between the two, with the Pro being the more expensive. While this isn't a major problem, is there a significant difference between the quality of the two? and is it enough to justify the higher price tag?

Also, I've heard that the keyboard on the Macbook Air is uncomfortable for typing on a lot. From anyone's experiences with the Air is this the case? My studies will probably require a lot of typing, so this is a concern for me.

Thanks

There is a Mac forum here: Mac where this question has been posed a lot. With regard to the keyboard, maybe have a look at a demo of each in Harvey Norman or Currys or CompuB. I find the MBA ok personally.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

The Air and Pro keyboards are basically same. You are thinking of the new 12-inch MacBook with Retina display, the eventual replacement for the Air, which has a different, shallower keyboard with less travel. And even that probably just takes some getting used to.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

The MBP has a higher resolution screen while the Air hasn't really been updated in a while apart from CPU bumps. The price difference isn't as big as the performance jump.

For journalism you probably won't be doing any heavy number crunching. So either machine should do. However once you go retina...

There's also a decent student discount available form Apple's education store.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

If you are going to be bringing it into college everyday, the thinner, lighter and more battery life the better. So I think the 13-inch Air is the way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭osnola ibax

Over on the MacRumors forums, they absolutely rave about the new Retina Macbook. You will get the lightest most portable laptop available and a retina screen.

http://forums.macrumors.com/forums/macbook.129/

• Advertisement
Advertisement