Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

research methodology query

Options
  • 18-08-2015 12:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭

HI All, just a quick question. what methodology is being used if an author uses secondary readings as their main source of reference, rather than empirical research. Im doing a lit review and one of the authors hasn't actually done empirical research but has chronicled others who have researched in the area, and their own opinions are shaped by the previous work they have cited.
    stupid question I know...

cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

HI All, just a quick question. what methodology is being used if an author uses secondary readings as their main source of reference, rather than empirical research. Im doing a lit review and one of the authors hasn't actually done empirical research but has chronicled others who have researched in the area, and their own opinions are shaped by the previous work they have cited.
    stupid question I know...

cheers

Sounds like a meta-analysis, perhaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭positivenote

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    Sounds like a meta-analysis, perhaps?

cheers, but its not statistical data. Rather its somewhat of a historical track of previous research in a communications field.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

cheers, but its not statistical data. Rather its somewhat of a historical track of previous research in a communications field.

Meta-analysis is not just for statistical data, it is a methodical trawl through previously published work.

I don't have any methodology books to hand, but I'm sure if you look through one you'll find a better definition than I'm providing.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

As in a review article?

Advertisement