Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Waterford for work. Where should I live?

Options
  • 18-08-2015 1:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 5

I'm moving to Waterford from donegal and I don't have a clue where is "good" to live. IE safe. Im looking for something close to the city but far enough away from noise. But it's so big, I don't know where to start looking.
    Any advice would be great
    Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭reni10

Where will you be working and are you looking to rent or buy?

Do your have a family or are you just looking for a 1 bed apartment for yourself?

What is your budget?

You need to answer these questions for people to give you some decent advice.

In general the Dunmore Road area of the city is considered nice and safe but is mainly family houses.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,434 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Which side of the city will you be working? Tramore is very pleasant, even though it has a visitor influx in the summer this does not affect the vast majority of people, most housing is away from the beach area. It would probably be more attractive to a family though, you need to give us a bit more information.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Min30

Sorry, I should have been more specific. I'm 30, single looking for a nice terraced house to buy. Ill be working in the cleayboy industrial park near town and I want to be close to work and the city but in a nice place. No kids, just me. Budget would be around 75000 and I'd like 2 bed

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭dzilla

Min30 wrote: »
    Sorry, I should have been more specific. I'm 30, single looking for a nice terraced house to buy. Ill be working in the cleayboy industrial park near town and I want to be close to work and the city but in a nice place. No kids, just me. Budget would be around 75000 and I'd like 2 bed

Thanks!

Close to work you are looking at the likes of Lismore Park, Hillview, Hazelbourne.
    http://www.daft.ie/sales/1-lismore-park-waterford-city-waterford/1058158/

http://www.daft.ie/sales/cleaboy-avenue-waterford-city-waterford/1070888/

I am just posting these to give you an idea of the area on the map
    These are 30 minute walk to down or a 10euro taxi.

Closer to the town you have the "top of the town" area, older houses, but terraced and you would definitely find a house in your budget there.

http://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/no-19-upper-yellow-road-waterford-city-waterford/3180493

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭JIdontknow

There is numerous options. Ferrybank could be an option, about 10-15 minute drive to where you work. Likewise you could go the opposite direction, even south Kilkenny, Kilmacow, Mooncoin, that would be a 20 minute drive (You can use the new Toll Road to avoid city centre traffic). Then there is places in the city itself as mentioned above.

Otherwise you may find a small terraced house in the city itself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,299 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Keep out of Ballybeg and Larchville and you'll be grand!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,434 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I would not have thought crossing the city bridge from Ferrybank every day, or going through the toll would be first choice!

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Raised Eyebrow

Would you not do a room share for 6 months rather than committing to a house/area? You may fall in love with a particular area or you may not be happy in your job but are tied to a mortgage

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭tonc76

looksee wrote: »
    I would not have thought crossing the city bridge from Ferrybank every day, or going through the toll would be first choice!

It'd be insane!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,384 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    Keep out of Ballybeg and Larchville and you'll be grand!

yea feck off

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭kingsofoffaly

up by oakwood is a really nice spot

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭jezko

Do you drive? If so i would pick one of the many villages around the city

• Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭Mr_Muffin

Waterford is a tiny, tiny city so everything is only a few minutes drive at most away. As already suggested maybe rent a room/apartment and get to know the place first then decide where you like best!

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭jezko

Would you not do a room share for 6 months rather than committing to a house/area? You may fall in love with a particular area or you may not be happy in your job but are tied to a mortgage

Totally agree,
    Give it a year or two, move about.

You have no ties and can still do this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭dzilla

More than likely going to have to rent / houseshare for 6 months. Prob wont get a mortage till probation period is up

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭reni10

You could try some of the apartments on the Carrick pherish road to rent for a while.

There are a few undesirables around there but it would be close to work and probably pretty reasonable for a 1 or 2 bed to rent.

Advertisement