Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

is this the right psu for my build ?

Options
  • 18-08-2015 1:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭

hi guys im building my first ever pc I bought one of them all in one case and psu deals and found out the psu is crap, so ive decided to buy a new psu its called antec vp450p here is a link to it http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Antec-VP450P-450W-12cm-Black-PSU-ATX2-3-Dual-Rail-OCP-OVP-SCP-OPP-PFC-ROHS-/380839012326?hash=item58abc627e6 im wondering will this be sufficient to power my build the specs are as follows i3 4170 1tb HDD 120gb sdd Samsung sh-224 optical drive corsair xms3 8gb DDR3 msi h81m e33 motherboard GTX 750Ti GeForce superclocked graphics card any help would be much appreciated if this psu is no good could you suggest another preferably under 50 pounds as im on a budget thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

It's a grand one

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭superfish

It's a grand one

that's great was just a bit worried because the 750ti superclocked said it needed 500w psu on ebay also will the connectors fit this graphics card ? thanks again digital ive purchased few more bits since we last spoke on being the msi military grade motherboard

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

It should do, they're fairly universal.

Military Grade only covers the operating temperatures AFAIK so don't be expecting some unbreakable board or anything

It should do, they're fairly universal.

Military Grade only covers the operating temperatures AFAIK so don't be expecting some unbreakable board or anything

lol so long as it works I don't mind oh I also bought 8gb of ram today corsair xms3 picked it up for 35 quid

ok so it says this psu has a pci-e connection and the graphics card says pci-e 3.0 is this the right combo just some youtube videos say it wont power newer cards because of the type of conector, also they do a 630watt model for an extra 8 quid what would you do ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

The PSU is a good quality and reliable one and far more than you'll need for your build - but it's a pretty bad price for that one. Cards always overstate power requirements due to the abundance of crap quality supplies on the market. Even if you wanted to upgrade to a €350 GTX970 down the line, that PSU would still be OK. Under load your new build will use about 200w.

The Superclocked GTX750Ti doesn't need a 6-pin PCI-E connector, it's powered entirely from the PCI-E lane.

You are wasting a lot of money buying all this stuff separately, you would save a lot of money just buying everything from Dabs at once and you'd only have a single postage charge. Examples:

Corsair VS350 - 19.99

Thermaltake Challenger 500W PSU - 27.99

EVGA 500W PSU - 33

• Advertisement

The PSU is a good quality and reliable one and far more than you'll need for your build - but it's a pretty bad price for that one. Cards always overstate power requirements due to the abundance of crap quality supplies on the market. Even if you wanted to upgrade to a €350 GTX970 down the line, that PSU would still be OK. Under load your new build will use about 200w.

The Superclocked GTX750Ti doesn't need a 6-pin PCI-E connector, it's powered entirely from the PCI-E lane.

You are wasting a lot of money buying all this stuff separately, you would save a lot of money just buying everything from Dabs at once and you'd only have a single postage charge. Examples:

Corsair VS350 - 19.99

Thermaltake Challenger 500W PSU - 27.99

EVGA 500W PSU - 33

thanks for the help all I have left to buy now is the processor and graphics card, also one more thing im looking on youtube and it would seem the evga 750ti ftw is better than the super clocked so if I decide to buy this instead will my psu fit it and be power sufficient sorry for all the questions I just want to be 100 percent sure and thank you so much for all your help

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

The FTW card just consumes a bit more power than the Superclocked, but you're just talking a few watts. 250W+ power supply is fine for any GTX750Ti card.

Just make sure you're not paying too much for the card, the GTX750Ti starts to loose it's value when you start heading for the better models.

It's currently £103 on Dabs which is about right. Any more and you'd be better off spending another £20 to go to the next tier of cards.

Advertisement