Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wasp takeover

Options
  • 18-08-2015 8:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭

How do I get rid of a bunch of wasps that has taken over a bush in front of my front window. The Bush got a bit overgrown while I was away and now has been taken over by a family I have wasps. Can't even opened the window now.

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Find the nest and kill it.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

With fire.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Petroglyph

Find the nest and kill it.

I did mention there's wasps right?

Pter wrote:
    With fire.

best not

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Petroglyph wrote: »

That's what the fire's for :pac:

There's no persuading them to move on, whether you do it yourself or pay someone to do it for you the wasps are going to have to die, unless you want to wait until winter when they've all died off.

• Advertisement

Petroglyph wrote: »

If you want rid of it you're going to need to either grow a pair or pay someone with the proper equipment to do it for you.

Best to try at night if you can when they return to the nest. It's a nasty job but if it needs doing, it needs doing.

Other option is to grin and bear it until the winter and then burn it out when it's not active.

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭iainBB

A softer option is two set a load (10+) of wasp traps around the nest at night.
    You can buy them in Dealz
    fill them with sugar water and replace nightly

But I agree fire and ball will solve this problem

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Berberis

Had something similar a couple years back and found a way of removing them on Internet using loads of soapy water. Had to cover myself up well mind you and waited till it was evening time. Worked though.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Cumin

Unfortunately I had to have a wasp nest removed by professionals recently. Nasty chemicals... Don't ever want to have to do that again. So I got 4 waspinanors (fake wasps nests) from ecostore for the future. A friend had trouble with wasps for many years. Got waspinators two years ago and since than he has a wasp-free garden. They also have very good reviews on the internet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭Gest

I had a small nest in my shed. One night I went out and managed to scoop it into a sealed container before they woke up.They were going mad inside in the container though!

I then put the container in a field and waited a few hours. I took the lid off and ran like f**k.

Can you see the nest?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 Cumin

Very brave! Thanks Gest for letting them live! 🐝

I can't really light a fire. its an estate house and the bush is right by the front window. can't see into it to see the nest either.

maybe the soapy water option might work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭Jimmy_M

I had 2 in a pile of hedge cuttings that id left down the end of the yard for a good year.

This is the way i went about it - there were no injuries- i used 2 men to be safe.
    - Cover up. (I just pulled a hood over my head - the other fella had a tea towel on his head - looked comical)
    - Arm yourselves with a bottle of wasp killer spray - one for each hand (keep backups close by if required)
    - Go at the nest with a rake, breaking it open, then move in straight away with the wasp killer spray. Be brave, get in as close as you can, keep spraying till the amo expires.
    - The second man should be covering you to make sure you're not being attacked on a blind side. If you've someone to cover him, well and good.
    - Come back out to where the nest was through out the day, to get the dopes that came back from work looking for the nest. They can hang around a bit and they could possibly build a new nest in the area.

They dont take long to drop after coming in contact with the spray. You might want to cut around your hege to get as close to the nest as possible - if you can drag the nest out onto an open area of grass or whatever thats better.

Best of luck with your mission :)

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭hiujn

empty jam jars pour some hot water into it swish it around so the jam melts into the water leave it beside the bush they will go into it and drown i have one at the bottom of the garden i have about 20 wasps caught in a few days ya might need to change the water once a week sugar might do the same if ya don't want to waste the jam but it works

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Probably worth saying you could consult a professional pest control company for advice/to do the job for you - just in case any of the above doesnt work/you are wary of doing the above.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

hiujn wrote: »
    empty jam jars pour some hot water into it swish it around so the jam melts into the water leave it beside the bush they will go into it and drown i have one at the bottom of the garden i have about 20 wasps caught in a few days ya might need to change the water once a week sugar might do the same if ya don't want to waste the jam but it works

Maybe you mean warm water? hot water might make the glass shatter due to thermal shock, they'll have a worse injury than ever they might get off the wasps, especially if they just leave them alone and let them move on when they want, which will be no injury.
    Wasps actually are beneficial, if you stay away from them and even ignore them they wont even bother with you and in any experience Ive come across, they move on.

You're right i forgot to mention to put a spoon into it but yea warm water would suffice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

Put a spoon in it? eh? that wont stop boiling water shattering glass.

Whats all the concern of wasps? leave them alone and they wont give you a bit of notice.
    They eat other bugs, at the least gardeners friends

cerastes wrote: »

Whats all the concern of wasps? leave them alone and they wont give you a bit of notice.
    They eat other bugs, at the least gardeners friends

Hot water i never mentioned boiling water ya seemto have a bee in your bonnet about killing the wasps :P

The op wants them gone so we are trying to help get rid of them.

cerastes wrote: »

Em, it will actually as long as the spoon is metal. Been regularly pouring boiling water into glasses when brewing and have never had one shatter as long as there's a spoon in it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement