Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starting costs to obtain planning

Options
  • 18-08-2015 8:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Good morning,

Just enquiring as to the rough costs of actually obtaining planning permission prior to starting building...

I understand each engineers cost vary, but a few people have said we need at minimum €20,000 to commence the planning stage, Can anyone advise?

Kind Regards

Dave

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,456 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Dave M203 wrote: »
    Good morning,

Just enquiring as to the rough costs of actually obtaining planning permission prior to starting building...

I understand each engineers cost vary, but a few people have said we need at minimum €20,000 to commence the planning stage, Can anyone advise?

Kind Regards

Dave

Planning for what?

163 Apartments, 4 retail units, a house or an extension to a house?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Dave M203

Sorry new, to this, A 1.5 story dwelling house in Loughrea...

I cannot see where the 20k is comming from but maybe that includes, architect fees, and some (not all) of the contributions required such as water, esb, gas, roads, planning contributions.

Best way to find out is to get 3 quotes.

All we are using is engineers, do we have to pay for water and esb prior to planning submission....

• Registered Users Posts: 13 RexBanner

Based on my own experience, just to get to the actual planning submission we had the following costs:
    Architect/Engineer for Concept to planning - 3-4k
    Site assessment study - ~€700
    Site Topological survey - Not sure, friend did this for us
    Ordnance Survey map pack - €115
    Cost of notice in paper - ~€40
    Planning application submission fees - €65

If the sites not in your name you may have site transfer fees also, in our case at the planning stage we submitted a letter from my parents confirming that they would transfer the site subject to planning. We also had to get a letter from our local group water scheme confirming that they would allow us join in the event of planning approval, this cost €1k, but was refundable if planning wasn't approved, and also counts as the joining fee.

So all in we spent about 4-5k on getting to planning submission. The Architect/Engineer is obviously the biggest cost so as kceire said - get 3 quotes. One piece of advice I'd give is don't scrimp on the architect, get a good architect that suits your design ideas and pay the extra 1-2k if required. You'll be spending anything from 300k-400k on a 3000sq ft house, so scrimping on the design of that house isn't a sensible place to make savings....

• Advertisement

Thats great thanks for that, we're in the exact same boat, with the site, we have a quote from a good local engineer....so he can do all the above prior to submission for approx €2500.....so i can deal with that.....

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭delfagio

Also I know your saying the architect is about 2,500 Euro for the plans, design and planning application. Just make sure you enquire off the architect that he will act as the Assigned Certifier for the build and what he will charge for this service.

That 20k you mentioned could be including the contribution fees to council. Each council is different in what they charge. For me in Co. Louth it was 7k for Road Improvements, Local Amenities and the Sewerage Connection to the foul drainage line.

Water connection to our local group water scheme was 1300euro including the connection fee. If it's a council water main it may vary depending on where the water main is. For example is it in the footpath, road or verge along the roadside. Depending on location it could involve road opening license and reinstatement requirements etc. Check this with your Architect also. If your drilling your own well this could be in regions of 5 - 7k.

ESB depending on the kVa connection you need and distance from nearest pole/transformer/mini pillar, could be between 1850 - 3000euro

ruskin wrote: »
    I know an architectural technician who does full planning permissions for one-off houses in Cork for €1500 (plus expenses).

That's about the same as what the Architect gets when he quotes 3k give or take when you take out the expenses.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 chikatee

Sorry to gate crash. We recently bought a semi- detached and plan on adding an extension. Maybe 90-100msq, so will need planning permission. We have been quoted by an engineer 1850 for the following:
    1. Site and house survey drawings
    2. Extension proposal and planning drawings
    3. site layout drawings
    4. prepare planning package including application form
    5. site notice laminated and erected on site
    6. Purchase of ordnance survey maps
    7. newspaper advertisement fee
    8. Planning application fee
    9. Planning check on existing property
    10. submission of application to county council.

Does this seem reasonable?
    Once this is done then what extra costs should we expect in relation to drawings etc? What drawings do we need?

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Wegian

Dave,
    Slightly ahead of you by a few months only, planning due in South Galway in the next few weeks. Costs to date:

Water Scheme Connection €2,000
    Engineer Planning €1,200
    Trial Holes €60

Total for Planning: €3,260

Other costs to date:
    Quantity Surveyor: €250

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭FiOT

Just come to the end of planning permission and site purchase in Meath.

Costs:
    Engineers fees including design, planning application, pre planning meeting, planning maps, newspaper notice etc: €3000
    Planning Fee: €65
    QS to check boundaries: €150
    Solicitors fees including land registry and all the costs associated with buying a site: €3000 (The solicitor's fees alone were €1250).

Council fees to be paid when commencing: around €15000 including water connection fee payable to Irish Water.

FiOT wrote: »

Council fees to be paid when commencing: around €15000 including water connection fee payable to Irish Water.

FiOT

Could you give a breakdown of the 15K?

That seems like a serious bundle of money before turning a sod

Wegian wrote: »
    FiOT

Could you give a breakdown of the 15K?

That seems like a serious bundle of money before turning a sod

It's the most painful money to hand over too as you're effectively getting nothing for it!

I think around €4000 goes to Irish water for your connection but your planning grant gives an outline of it.

Then we paid €5971.15 for roads and €5321.44 for "social infrastructure". You have to pay it, no way around it and it's calculated on the size of your house. Ours is 2650sqft.

It's the most painful money to hand over too as you're effectively getting nothing for it!

I think around €4000 goes to Irish water for your connection but your planning grant gives an outline of it.

Then we paid €5971.15 for roads and €5321.44 for "social infrastructure". You have to pay it, no way around it and it's calculated on the size of your house. Ours is 2650sqft.

Painful indeed.

I dont know what our contribution will be but I hope it doesn't scale those heights!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 144 ✭✭THE DON FANUCCI

Do you pay these fee's before you get a mortgage or can these come from your mortgage??

Do you pay these fee's before you get a mortgage or can these come from your mortgage??

These fees are payable once you submit your commencement notice, so just before you start your build. We will have saved enough to pay them outright and in Meath they allow a 10% reduction in the fees if you pay them in a lump sum so that's the plan for us anyway. I think you can work out payment plans with the councils too??

I'm sure you can put it through your mortgage but I feel as bad as it is paying it, I wouldn't want to pay half as much again through a mortgage!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,003 ✭✭✭893bet

What county? Is it Tipperary?

Advertisement