Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Garda recruitment- the long wait!

• 18-08-2015 9:25am

So we have passed the medical and the physical...... Now it's the long wait for vetting and the call!!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Dublingirl88

So we have passed the medical and the physical...... Now it's the long wait for vetting and the call!!!

I'd love to know what dates in October to plan for... been trying to save some €'s as I know the first week is unpaid and the PE stuff and parade shoes are gonna set us back €200-250....

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭Blueandwhite15

Have a few hundred saved. Need to get a new laptop and a few bits.
    I hope I get October !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭WillFerrell93

Have a few hundred saved. Need to get a new laptop and a few bits.
    I hope I get October !

I have a bit of savings too.. Can never have enough though ha Need to pass this bloody medical and PCT before I can even think of the rest ha

• Registered Users Posts: 40 conzcro

Does anyone know how long generally the vetting takes? Mine was sent away the middle of may and still not back. I havnt lived abroad. It's so frustrating waiting not knowing if il make the October intake

conzcro wrote: »
    Does anyone know how long generally the vetting takes? Mine was sent away the middle of may and still not back. I havnt lived abroad. It's so frustrating waiting not knowing if il make the October intake

Do you have family that live abroad?

• Advertisement

Mine wasn't back 3 weeks ago either and I've also never lived abroad... It's he height of summer leave so I am hoping when I ring next week there will be an update!

Mine wasn't back 3 weeks ago either and I've also never lived abroad... It's he height of summer leave so I am hoping when I ring next week there will be an update!

Hopefully they'll be back to normal soon and everything will be sorted for October

That's sort of relief for me what you're guys saying :) 2 weeks back I was told that my vetting wasn't ready yet, neither. Started to lose hope for getting in in October. But it looks like I'm not there alone.

Although I lived abroad and have close relatives in 3 different countries... guess it doesn't speed the things up for me :(

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Mcnulty101

That's sort of relief for me what you're guys saying :) 2 weeks back I was told that my vetting wasn't ready yet, neither. Started to lose hope for getting in in October. But it looks like I'm not there alone.

Although I lived abroad and have close relatives in 3 different countries... guess it doesn't speed the things up for me :(

Getting worried myself for October, lived in Australia for a year and from talking to HRM that is all left on the vetting....if were all in the same boat tho makes me feel slightly less anxious!!!!

Hopefully they'll be back to normal soon and everything will be sorted for October

Mcnulty101 wrote: »
    Getting worried myself for October, lived in Australia for a year and from talking to HRM that is all left on the vetting....if were all in the same boat tho makes me feel slightly less anxious!!!!

And out of curiosity where on the OOM are you all? I'm mid 500's....

• Advertisement

I ranked in the upper half of 500's.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Mcnulty101

Mid 500's too

Mid 500's too

Ah so we're all in the same boat!

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭jwm85

I'm early 600's. Have emailed twice about vetting and they just said they're still waiting for final checks to come back.

Mid 500's too

Im early 600 608 I think

I know one lad who made the July intake who was 520's but he was a Garda Reserve which is why he made down it so quick! Think another person from here made it down also who was early 600's so fingers crossed all our vetting comes back and our turn will be October!

I know one lad who made the July intake who was 520's but he was a Garda Reserve which is why he made down it so quick! Think another person from here made it down also who was early 600's so fingers crossed all our vetting comes back and our turn will be October!

Do ya reckon he made it quick cause his vetting didnt take long as he was a reserve? Think they only go from when you started as a reserve to present dont they?

Do ya reckon he made it quick cause his vetting didnt take long as he was a reserve? Think they only go from when you started as a reserve to present dont they?

Yea that's my assumption anyway!

Yea that's my assumption anyway!

That would suit me perfect haha

That would suit me perfect haha

Are you a reserve too?

• Advertisement

Are you a reserve too?

Yep.. So hoping that would speed up my Vetting.. Nothing has changed since I joined so shouldnt be any more work on it..

Yep.. So hoping that would speed up my Vetting.. Nothing has changed since I joined so shouldnt be any more work on it..

Well the lad I know had his physical the last week of June and the offers went out for the July 27th intake on June 30th.....

Well the lad I know had his physical the last week of June and the offers went out for the July 27th intake on June 30th.....

And he got in? Jasus that is quick.. 3 days ha Looking good so.. Provided the class isnt full.. I know there are lots of people above me on the OOM waiting

And he got in? Jasus that is quick.. 3 days ha Looking good so.. Provided the class isnt full.. I know there are lots of people above me on the OOM waiting

No they got 3 1/2 weeks notice, but he had only done his physical the week before the offers went out....

No they got 3 1/2 weeks notice, but he had only done his physical the week before the offers went out....

Yeah thats what I am saying.. Only completed his physical and sorry a few days later was offered a place ha

Yeah thats what I am saying.. Only completed his physical and sorry a few days later was offered a place ha

Well yea he only had a week of waiting compared to me who is still waiting around on news... Can't believe my physical was nearly 2 months ago now.... with no updates since either :( (not including the updates I got when I rang up myself)

Well yea he only had a week of waiting compared to me who is still waiting around on news... Can't believe my physical was nearly 2 months ago now.... with no updates since either :( (not including the updates I got when I rang up myself)

Shocking isn't it.. That would kill me

Feel like I shouldn't complain though because one poster was ready last November and only got down in July....

• Advertisement

So I caved and rang again today... vetting still not back �� so best prepare for not getting October as hoped just in case... though a girl just a few spots after me in the mid 500s from the other side of the country is in the same boat so we'll see what September brings!

So I caved and rang again today... vetting still not back �� so best prepare for not getting October as hoped just in case... though a girl just a few spots after me in the mid 500s from the other side of the country is in the same boat so we'll see what September brings!

Someone posted in stage 5 thread said he met his Sgt today said they'reunder pressure for numbers for September. He/she is fairly low in the OOM. Im low too and met my Sgt too I'm meeting my Supt early next week so we'll see

My whole process went through extremely quickly, but vetting not back!!! Just dont expect anything!!! You will kill yourself waitin around to hear something! Jus consider yourself on the list until further notice!

• Registered Users Posts: 45 clarky09

Hi all, sorry to butt in! Hope the calls come soon for ye. Just been called for Stage 2 between 25th Aug & Sept 9th. Anyone guestimate a rough time line of when I could be called for Stage 3, 4 or 5...?!

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭ollieo

clarky09 wrote: »
    Hi all, sorry to butt in! Hope the calls come soon for ye. Just been called for Stage 2 between 25th Aug & Sept 9th. Anyone guestimate a rough time line of when I could be called for Stage 3, 4 or 5...?!

I was waiting 14 months between stage 2 and 3, just focus on doing well in the aptitudes and reach the required standard, it can and probably will be a long process, no point in getting too concerned about when you will be called to next stage, you'll drive yourself crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Hupp15

Hi.
    I've heard that if you enter the guards with a degree you earn more wages or start on a higher scale. I'm however unable to find confirmation of same. Has anyone heard if this is true?
    Thank you

• Advertisement

Hupp15 wrote: »
    Hi.
    I've heard that if you enter the guards with a degree you earn more wages or start on a higher scale. I'm however unable to find confirmation of same. Has anyone heard if this is true?
    Thank you

Yes, that kicks in after you finish your probation period. Depending on the qualifications you're holding, it may go 1 or 3 increments up the salary scale.

The only bit in writing I could fine comes from the 2008 recruitment (http://www.garda.ie/Documents/User/Notes%20for%20Candidates%20-%20English.pdf), but the Super that interviewed me said it is still in place as far as he knows, plus one of the recent trainees confirmed that as well - I think it was in this thread: Garda Recruitment - Garda Trainees (Templemore)

So rang appointments today again..vetting still not back. October intake is looking less likely by the day

So rang appointments today again..vetting still not back. October intake is looking less likely by the day

What's your OOM?
    When you ring do they actually look up your file there and then?
    I sent an email and they said they would be in contact when it comes back.

jwm85 wrote: »
    What's your OOM?

I rang last week and was told some parts of my vetting are still outstanding and I'd be contacted when it is all back..... But I am not expecting them to let me know when it does come in, I am only expecting to hear from them when they do a call to enquire if I would be available for a start date on X of October.

But I'm trying not to get my hopes set on October just in case....

What's your OOM?

My order of merit is 608. They look it up and just tell you of its back or not they don't tell you nothing else really shouldn't be taking this long

• Advertisement

My order of merit is 608. They look it up and just tell you of its back or not they don't tell you nothing else really shouldn't be taking this long

I'm a few places behind you so! I'm waiting for mine to come back too.

I'm a few places behind you so! I'm waiting for mine to come back too.

Do you guys have foreign addresses or anything? Anything that would explain it taking so long?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

Is that 608 following on from the 425 new recruits that have been and currently are in Templemore?

Or how does it work

Do you guys have foreign addresses or anything? Anything that would explain it taking so long?

Lived in England for few months last year

It works like say 1-100 were class 1 get me?
    I was told to expect towet the Supt this week but nothing yet :/

I'm mid 500s and have never lived abroad, I've an uncle in Edinburgh I don't have any contact with and an aunt in the Isle of man I also haven't seen in years....
    D Trent wrote: »
    Is that 608 following on from the 425 new recruits that have been and currently are in Templemore?

Or how does it work

It's a continuous OOM each group that pass their interviews get added onto the end...

Lived in England for few months last year

You reckon thats what is holding it up?

I wouldn't think so

I've aunts in the US and England I rarely see I was told it wouldn't hold me up

It's likely just delays due to staff shortages in HRM and throughout due to summer holidays etc....

• Advertisement
Advertisement