Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Garda recruitment- the long wait!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭JoeyJoe93

Sorry to be interrupting you but I figure ye are the people ask

I'm in stage 2 still but if all goes well and I get to the medical can anyone give me information on where they stand with the eye sight test.
    I need glasses/contacts to see as I'm sure plenty other stage 2 applicants do aswell. Is moderate short sightedness enough to make you fail or are contacts acceptable?
    I'd hate to get to that point and fail due to it.
    Thanks in advance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Dublingirl88

JoeyJoe93 wrote: »
    Sorry to be interrupting you but I figure ye are the people ask

I'm in stage 2 still but if all goes well and I get to the medical can anyone give me information on where they stand with the eye sight test.
    I need glasses/contacts to see as I'm sure plenty other stage 2 applicants do aswell. Is moderate short sightedness enough to make you fail or are contacts acceptable?
    I'd hate to get to that point and fail due to it.
    Thanks in advance.

General requirements are as follows;

[*]A good standard of general mental and physical health.
      [*]Weight within normal limits.
      [*]Eyesight; Good level of vision (minimum distance of 6/18 on both eyes that can be corrected to 6/9 and 6/12)
      [*]Good level of hearing

The following tests shall be carried out on the day;

[*]Eyesight test – An unaided eyesight test will be carried out on the day (glasses/lenses to be removed one hour prior to testing)
        [*]Hearing test – air conduction audiogram (unaided)
        [*]Urine testing for routine clinical screen
        [*]Manual peak flow check
        [*]No blood tests will be taken on the day.

Thanks Dublin Girl, some new info there.

I think my eyesight is about 6/18 but just borderline, it could go either way. I mean with glasses it's 20/20 so contacts wouldn't be an issue and I don't see that getting in the way with police work.
          I wonder if any short sighted people here went through the medicals with the same worries of failing that I have.

Thanks Dublin Girl, some new info there.

I think my eyesight is about 6/18 but just borderline, it could go either way. I mean with glasses it's 20/20 so contacts wouldn't be an issue and I don't see that getting in the way with police work.
          I wonder if any short sighted people here went through the medicals with the same worries of failing that I have.

Well I have good eyesight so that's just what was on my medical invitation form that I had pulled out today anyway as my brother is about to do stage 2 and he needs glasses!

when it says "(minimum distance of 6/18 on both eyes that can be corrected to 6/9 and 6/12)", it means they allow glasses and contacts, but from what people have posted on here you get 6 months to get laser eye surgery and then go back to them if your eyes are quite bad, a pretty big financial investment but at least it's something!

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭Blueandwhite15

How long between meeting your Sgt did it take to meet your Supt?

Well I have good eyesight so that's just what was on my medical invitation form that I had pulled out today anyway as my brother is about to do stage 2 and he needs glasses!

when it says "(minimum distance of 6/18 on both eyes that can be corrected to 6/9 and 6/12)", it means they allow glasses and contacts, but from what people have posted on here you get 6 months to get laser eye surgery and then go back to them if your eyes are quite bad, a pretty big financial investment but at least it's something!

Thanks again, there's a lot of information and misinformation out there regarding many aspects of the process. I wouldn't say most people with glasses have outright defective vision, the classification is in a grey area like. I'd imagine most applicants in their early 20s like myself can't afford laser eye surgery either.
          Sure we'll see how the process goes.
          Good luck with what's left of your own application anyway

How long between meeting your Sgt did it take to meet your Supt?

For me it was less than 2 weeks between them, and both gave me 2 days notice of when they wanted to meet me....
          Thanks again, there's a lot of information and misinformation out there regarding many aspects of the process. I wouldn't say most people with glasses have outright defective vision, the classification is in a grey area like. I'd imagine most applicants in their early 20s like myself can't afford laser eye surgery either.
          Sure we'll see how the process goes.
          Good luck with what's left of your own application anyway

Thanks I - like many others - am only waiting on the invite to Templemore now!!

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭Blueandwhite15

For me it was less than 2 weeks between them, and both gave me 2 days notice of when they wanted to meet me....

Thanks I - like many others - am only waiting on the invite to Templemore now!!

Cheers thanks should be this week so

So it's September... there'll be at the very least phone calls made checking peoples availability this month!
          I also think as they have physicals starting today, with people who are being considered for the 153 intake, it is making the start date for the 153 intake more than likely to be October 19th.....

• Advertisement

So I bit the bullet and called hrm, and my vetting came back!!! So looks like I'm on the list!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭jwm85

So I bit the bullet and called hrm, and my vetting came back!!! So looks like I'm on the list!!!!!!!

Ah good stuff! Hopefully they'll all be back soon so. I must phone them tomorrow. They must be fed up of everyone ringing at this stage!!

jwm85 wrote: »
          Ah good stuff! Hopefully they'll all be back soon so. I must phone them tomorrow. They must be fed up of everyone ringing at this stage!!

I wasn't planning on ringing again.... but the temptation is mighty now!!!

I wasn't planning on ringing again.... but the temptation is mighty now!!!

Ha ha!! You think anyone will answer at this time?? Somebody here mentioned about receiving an email at 10pm recently!

Ha ha!! You think anyone will answer at this time?? Somebody here mentioned about receiving an email at 10pm recently!

Ah I wouldn't ring them now, I'd wait til tomorrow morning after 10 possibly... I hate annoying them with calls but I am going mad with the not knowing :rolleyes:

Ah I wouldn't ring them now, I'd wait til tomorrow morning after 10 possibly... I hate annoying them with calls but I am going mad with the not knowing :rolleyes:

Ha! I'll do the same so. Let us know here anyway and I'll do the same

• Advertisement

Ha! I'll do the same so. Let us know here anyway and I'll do the same

Yea hopefully we will all have good news and be seeing each other in October :)

Did you ring yet?!
          I'm afraid that they'll tell me it's still not back!!!

Did you ring yet?!
          I'm afraid that they'll tell me it's still not back!!!

Yea, mines not back :(

Oh. Crap. I don't want to ring now....

Are they fairly polite on the phone or do they sound annoyed that you're ringing?

• Advertisement

Are they fairly polite on the phone or do they sound annoyed that you're ringing?

I've just been told they can't give me any information....

I've just been told they can't give me any information....

Hmm well they were polite when I rang.... another girl I know who is a few spots after me on OOM has been told hers isn't back either.... Could be so many are ringing they're getting fed up now....

I rang them a few weeks ago, and I asked if they're fed up with people callin, but they responded sayin it's their job to answer questions.
          I'd say my meeting with the detective pushed my application forward!

I'd say my meeting with the detective pushed my application forward!

What meeting was that do you mind me asking?

What meeting was that do you mind me asking?
          It was just a meeting going over an uncle who's address I couldn't find! He said though that night that he was sending the files on!

It was just a meeting going over an uncle who's address I couldn't find! He said though that night that he was sending the files on!

Ah I see, I'd love to know what the hold up with mine is... I'm just finding it tough not being to plan past the end of sept...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭FGR

Ahh man..brings me back to 2005..the memories. And by that I mean the waiting and not knowing..!! :pac:

At least things are in motion and with word that 500 are being taken in next year it can only mean more good news for those on the panel.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Dublin112

Hey guys just before my medical public jobs rang me to say I would have to do an irish exam before getting in as I done foundation level irish in my leaving
          I got an email yesterday 2 months later giving me the date of the exam (October 8th)but as its to do with public jobs it said if I am successful in the exam my information will be forwarded to Garda Siochana for stage 5 even doh I have already done stage 5 (medical,physical) and met with my local seargent and superintendent .
          Anyone any idea as its a bit of a head wreck
          Thanks

File is all good to go! happy days!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Dublin112

Congrats have they given you a date for when to start templemoore

• Advertisement
        • Registered Users Posts: 9 Mcnulty101

Happy days, congrats!! did ye ring them today?

Dublin112 wrote: »
          Congrats have they given you a date for when to start templemoore
          Mcnulty101 wrote: »
          Happy days, congrats!! did ye ring them today?

I rang them myself cause I was too impatient to wait until offers were issued, so my file is ready but October is no guarantee as the offers will go out according to the OOM so now I am hoping they reach my number :o

I rang them myself cause I was too impatient to wait until offers were issued, so my file is ready but October is no guarantee as the offers will go out according to the OOM so now I am hoping they reach my number :o

Congrats, Dublingirl88! Hope you get there in October.

Did they say anything when they would start contacting people or sending out offers? I reckon it should be happening pretty soon if the next intake is starting on 19/10 as was said somewhere here.

Did they say anything when they would start contacting people or sending out offers? I reckon it should be happening pretty soon if the next intake is starting on 19/10 as was said somewhere here.

My rough calculations:

OOM starts at approx 457
          Apparently there were approx 80 waiting before that
          Approx 100 started in July and they're apparently taking 150 before the year is out so they should approx reach 627

Well it's possibly the 19th or 26th, my guess is offers could be out Friday week or by the 2nd the absolute latest if the intake is the 26th...
          My rough calculations:

OOM starts at approx 457
          Apparently there were approx 80 waiting before that
          Approx 100 started in July and they're apparently taking 150 before the year is out so they should approx reach 627

Well I'm 550's so that maths works well for me!!

Check your emails boys and girls, I've got some exciting news in mine ;)

Did you get the offer though???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭WillFerrell93

When ya starting ya lucky person?? :)

My email is just confirming my file is complete. Just waiting for an offer now

• Advertisement

What's your OOM???

Same here. If I remember well, my OOM was in 570's.

Good news for both of yas :) Yous are in so.. Wonder when start date is

Good news for both of yas :) Yous are in so.. Wonder when start date is

Proposed date for the beginning of the induction week is 27th to 30th October.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Collielover

Same as me, it's asking me to confirm what notice if any needed in my current employment...

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Collielover

I'm mid 500s.... should I take it I'm in or not get my hopes up....

• Advertisement

Same as me, it's asking me to confirm what notice if any needed in my current employment...

Ah good stuff.. Fair Play lads.. Say yas are delighted!

So no one has the official offer yet?
          God they love making us squirm!!
          Driving myself mad in work here. Just send the bloody offer already!!!!

Will the offers be made today???

Will the offers be made today???

I suppose not before the deadline they gave to reply with our availability.

I suppose not before the deadline they gave to reply with our availability.

is that email not just to tell them how much notice, if any, is needed by your employer?

• Advertisement
        Advertisement