Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

The Green Hell. Anyone been?

• 18-08-2015 10:14am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭

So thinking of heading up for one of the open days next summer and just wondering if anyone here has been?

Basically just wondering what it's like and whether it's worth it. Does everyone bomb around at 200+kph or are there people who go fast but not THAT fast? Basically would i feel like a fish out of water going around at whatever speed i feel happy with? I'm guessing it's a stupid question but that (and the risks) are making the decision a little more difficult than i would have thought :p

I'll head up to do the 'taxi' in any case which i guess will show me a bit what to expect but opinions from here are always welcome :D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭Wossack

wouldnt do it on a bike :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Notch000

+1,

I was there wouldn't go out on a bike, some seriously fast machinery out there and plenty of idiots as well, unless your fast you would be pretty intimidated by the fast cars and spend the whole time looking over you shoulder, I was there 2 evenings and saw two bike crashed

DSC_0383-1.jpg

asides from the other traffic it would be perfect, the track is very busy from what I saw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭KTR1C

Ahhhh I'd give it an auld whack anyway !! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

If you think 200kph is "THAT fast" I'd leave it awhile.. Seriously, not mocking you but 200kph isn't crazy fast at all and you'd be eaten alive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭BKtje

Being eaten alive is not something that would generally bother me as long as I'm not considered a danger (that said I know tour buses do it as well).

With regards to 200kph being fast or not, I basically took a an arbitrary number that I haven't gone before, that seems fast and used it. Fastest I've been is around 160kph (indicated) on the motorway, not because it scared me but because I'm not a bloody idiot looking to lose his licence (:p).

I've no idea what my limits are which is why I'd be nervous (and hence this thread) and I don't fancy being the cause of an accident either. I know that on it that the rules of the road are followed (in general) which is to say drive on the right pass on the left. I like to go fast (or fast in my version of the world) but have never driven around a track or at speeds approaching those that people seem to drive there. I guess I'm initially naturally cautious which tends to disappear as I become more confident (like most people I guess) although a lot of my caution on the road is a healthy respect for oncoming traffic!

I was planning on going a weekend when the "taxis" service is in operation (probably the sunday) and then come back on the monday evening to have a go myself when there would be less traffic.

I'll have a think (won't be going till next summer anyway) and see what I end up doing. It really seems like something I could enjoy but I've no intention of pushing my limits too far and risking my life (well, even more than just being there).

Cheers for the stories, opinions and advice folks :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Sure I had my sprint 1050 absolutely redlined in Germany last summer easily 160+ mph on the Autobann and I was being overtaken by mature ladies in top of the range jeeps and estate cars.....I can only imagine what goes on that track.

Plus if you are found at fault you have to pay the clean up of the track (oil, recovery etc) could cost you a small fortune.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

If you think 200kph is "THAT fast" I'd leave it awhile.. Seriously, not mocking you but 200kph isn't crazy fast at all and you'd be eaten alive.

I do close to that on most commutes!

After doing it loads of times on Gran Turismo on the PS3, theres a crazy long straight at the end, you'd have any bike at full throttle for a good while on it.

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Plus if you are found at fault you have to pay the clean up of the track (oil, recovery etc) could cost you a small fortune.

Well if I'm at fault for an accident I think I'd have bigger things to worry about than the costs :p
    I do close to that on most commutes!

After doing it loads of times on Gran Turismo on the PS3, theres a crazy long straight at the end, you'd have any bike at full throttle for a good while on it.
    You living in Germany or are you one of those nutters :pac::D

I've watched the "best time" video where a guy on a bike flies around and I think he's doing about 280kph on the final straight. Pretty sure I'd hit the top speed of my bike on that, think it's about 260kph (if i dare, seeing as it's a staight I guess I would).

All this thread has done is to give me the desire to go :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 201 ✭✭Plopli

Why would you not do a trackday in Mondello to get a bit of track experience ?

No idea on the cost but that would probably give you more confidence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 552 ✭✭✭enumbers

Did a weekend a while ago in a hired track car megane cup , really nice car to try and get to grips with the track, the only major crashes I came across were bikes, the surface is very changable and with the traffic no way of knowing whats been spilled so makes it very tricky if your trying to push a bike hard on a public day. As far as going to slow there is everything on the track from tours to stripped racers so no need to worry about going slow but you need to keep a constant eye out behind some guys are fast beyond comprehension

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Plopli wrote: »

No idea on the cost but that would probably give you more confidence.

This is the best idea, do a normal track day first.
    From the PS3, it's a long track, fairly narrow and loads of really fast corners.

[QUOTE=BKtje;96665625
    I've watched the "best time" video where a guy on a bike flies around and I think he's doing about 280kph on the final straight. Pretty sure I'd hit the top speed of my bike on that, think it's about 260kph (if i dare, seeing as it's a staight I guess I would).

[/QUOTE]

Thats Just the straights all the same, you would want to have a very high "average speed" around the track not just pinning it on the straights!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭batman_oh

Honestly from what you have said maybe try a track day here first! I'd say you may find yourself a rolling roadblock out there and that wouldn't be fun for anybody.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭KT10

batman_oh wrote: »
    Honestly from what you have said maybe try a track day here first! I'd say you may find yourself a rolling roadblock out there and that wouldn't be fun for anybody.

Cotters Motorcycles are having a full track day in Monday the 14th of September for €99, full international track with lunch provided I think.

Get booked in, get down there and from the first session grab a marshal (either Jay Murray or Eric O'Byrne are excellent) and get them to assess your riding, then lead you round.

You'll be flying in no time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Lads the guy is living in Switzerland, so I'm guessing Mondello is out of the question ~ OP?.

Sorry for the delay in getting back, been super busy with work and footy the last few days not allowing me the time for much more than a quick read.
    Plopli wrote: »
    If I was living in Ireland I would love to but those things just don't seem to exist here very much.
    Thats Just the straights all the same, you would want to have a very high "average speed" around the track not just pinning it on the straights!
    Ah yeah I realise that, I wouldnt plan to potter about at 120 or 130kph ( :P), I'd be giving it the full welly up to what I feel comfortable doing. It's just I don't know what that speed would be.
    KT10 wrote: »
    Cotters Motorcycles are having a full track day in Monday the 14th of September for €99, full international track with lunch provided I think.

Get booked in, get down there and from the first session grab a marshal (either Jay Murray or Eric O'Byrne are excellent) and get them to assess your riding, then lead you round.

You'll be flying in no time.
    That sounds fantastic and would be there in a shot if I didn't live in Switzerland.

I have no problem doing 80-100kph on small mountain passes (road permitting, those endless hairpins don't always allow for those kind of speeds :p ). Sure I'll watch a few more videos and see what speeds people are doing on various bits of the track and decide if I could do similar. It's funny the more I discuss it on here, the more I feel like I should just go and do it. If after 1 lap I feel hopelessly out of my depth then I'll just head home and cherish the memory that I did it and tell big stories how I blew past everyone :pac::D

I can't be the only person who's gone (or wants to go) and never been to a trackday. Come to think of it my "IBT" (swiss version) instructor was a highly respected racer (10 years world championships) from the region, think I'll give him a shout to discuss it. I'm sure I won't be the first person who has asked him!

EDIT:
    Just been to my old instructors site and he organises trips to France for track days and also advanced driving courses tailored to what you want to do. Sounds like it might actually be a decent thing to do either way! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭hrcbob

Ive been there in a car a few years ago op.

I can honestly say its the most intimidating bit of road ive ever been on and that was in a car with a full cage and proper harnesses..

I race bikes in ireland and there is no way in hell id even consider taking a bike out on the ring.
    Ive seen first hand how they get cut up by the locals in their m3s and gt3s trying to get the perfect lap time.

As has been said the surface is varied from rough as hell to pool table smooth, none of which have any grip should it rain..
    Crashes are plentyful and painful.

By all means go and take a taxi spin or even spectate from behind the fences but id leave the bike in the carpark.

Thanks hrcbob, exactly what I was looking for. I'll find some other way to scratch this itch. Might even try to coincide my next drive to ireland with a day trip to Mondello.

Surely you can pay to get taken around in a high performance car....by a ex racer or the like?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭Wossack

yea they do 'ring taxi's alright - scud around in an IS-F etc

• Advertisement

Surely you can pay to get taken around in a high performance car....by a ex racer or the like?

Yeah in an m3 or for a bit extra some other beast of a car.
    Something i still plan to do!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 552 ✭✭✭enumbers

If your into your driving , even with all that has been said I wouldn't miss the opportunity to ride it, It really is a unique experience that some day wont be available anymore, trying to get my own car ready for a trip next year, cant wait

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭robinwing

• Registered Users Posts: 42 DaveHumphreys

I've done it in cars and on bikes. The busy days can be a bit hairy at times, though a lot of the time it's more of a case of trying to avoid becoming part of someone else's accident.

I'd also keep an eye on the time you plan on going there as not every day is a public day, so make sure you don't just plan on turning up on spec.

Advertisement