Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off to NYC next city next Tuesday for 4 days no plan yet

Options
  • 18-08-2015 10:20am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 268 ✭✭

I fly out to NYC next Tuesday for 4 days and have absolutely no plan made. I arribe in JFK at 11.30 NY time and I'm staying at New Yorker near Penn Station, firstly how do I get to my hotel taxi or train, is a multitrip subway ticket a good idea. Would appreciate any tips/advice and a plan, thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭Monkeysgomad

I fly out to NYC next Tuesday for 4 days and have absolutely no plan made. I arribe in JFK at 11.30 NY time and I'm staying at New Yorker near Pent Station, firstly how do I get to my hotel taxi or train, is a multitrip subway ticket a good idea. Would appreciate any tips/advice and a plan, thanks

We organise a car everytime we go to get to the hotel, I suggest you get a taxi. Make sure you go to the Empire State Building and the rockerfellar centre. For shopping Woodbury common is amazing I never used the subway any time I'm there, it's easy to walk and taxis are cheap enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭yew_tree

I don't see the need to leave New York and go up to Woodbury Common especially if you are only there for 4 days. Great shopping downtown.

Get a subway pass: http://web.mta.info/metrocard/mcgtreng.htm

From JFK you can get on the AirTrain to Jamaica Station and take the E train or Long Island Railroad all the way to Penn Station. If it is just yourself than that is the cheaper option than getting a cab.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Greenpointers

If I were you I wouldn't go to Woodbury Common unless your sole reason for going is to do some shopping. It will take a full day of your trip and you could use the valuable time to do other things.

Definitely agree with the Empire State and Rockefeller but I would pick one instead of doing both, unless you do one during the day and one at night.

If it is your first trip to New York I would organise a car or get a yellow taxi outside the terminal. It is a bit tricky to navigate JFK to the city on your first time by Airtrain/Subway. I have stayed in the New Yorker, very nice hotel and central.

I think the Statue of Liberty/Ellis Island trip is well worth it, interesting bits of history if that's what floats your boat.

Are you interested in going to a sporting event? Basketball, hockey and football are on off season at the moment but the baseball and soccer seasons are well underway. They have two baseball teams and two soccer teams.

Anything else you want to know? Shoot me a PM too if you want to glad to help.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭jjbrien

Jersey Gardens is far nearer than Woodbury Commons and easy to get to from the Port Authority bus station its bus 111 a great outlet mall with no tax clothes there .

The Mets are doing very well in baseball this year if you can head out to citi field and catch a game. The NY Giants and Jets are doing preseason games now for cheap too if you ever wanted to see a amercian football game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭Bummer1234

Heading to New york in November myself and thinking of heading to woodbury common, I was thinking of getting a early bus from Port authority but would people recommend renting a car?

Paddy Dreadful - If you have time to burn, Head to chinatown, You may pick up a cheeky bargain, Also experience central park, I went on the horse carriage with the GF and it was great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

I'd recommend the LIRR as well. It goes to Penn Station and will probably get you into the city faster that a cab. I wouldn't bother with Woodbury common if you only have 4 days. It's a full day and unless you're really into your designer gear and shopping it wouldn't be worth it. Jersey Gardens is a bit more accessible and has more high street stuff. Century 21 downtown does designer stuff at discount. It's a bit of a mad house though.

If you're into history try the Tenement museum. http://www.tenement.org/ I really enjoyed Ellis Island too.

I always walk everywhere in NY so I never bother with a subway card. If I was staying in midtown and wanted to go downtown I'd just pay for the one trip then walk back or vice versa. You get to see more or Manhattan that way.

Bummer1234 wrote: »
    Heading to New york in November myself and thinking of heading to woodbury common, I was thinking of getting a early bus from Port authority but would people recommend renting a car?

Paddy Dreadful - If you have time to burn, Head to chinatown, You may pick up a cheeky bargain, Also experience central park, I went on the horse carriage with the GF and it was great.

I would go to woodberry common. Go there everytime I go and they have all the good brands not just high street shops and it's all within one place. I went to jersey gardens before and prefer woodberry common over it

If I were you I wouldn't go to Woodbury Common unless your sole reason for going is to do some shopping. It will take a full day of your trip and you could use the valuable time to do other things.

Definitely agree with the Empire State and Rockefeller but I would pick one instead of doing both, unless you do one during the day and one at night.

If it is your first trip to New York I would organise a car or get a yellow taxi outside the terminal. It is a bit tricky to navigate JFK to the city on your first time by Airtrain/Subway. I have stayed in the New Yorker, very nice hotel and central.

I think the Statue of Liberty/Ellis Island trip is well worth it, interesting bits of history if that's what floats your boat.

Are you interested in going to a sporting event? Basketball, hockey and football are on off season at the moment but the baseball and soccer seasons are well underway. They have two baseball teams and two soccer teams.

Anything else you want to know? Shoot me a PM too if you want to glad to help.

Woodberry common is far superior than jersey gardens. Who goes to New York and does no shopping ? Haha it's a must for shopping

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Greenpointers

Woodberry common is far superior than jersey gardens. Who goes to New York and does no shopping ? Haha it's a must for shopping

Where did I mention anything about Jersey Gardens? They only have 4 days why waste a day on leaving the city to do some shopping.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jaymcg91

Those outlets are mainly for the tourists anyway - I've never met anybody from New York who goes to them!

• Advertisement

Because if they want to shop they should go there - that's why! Who cares if they have 4 days everyone does shopping there. Every year I go there I go shopping. Even last year when I stopped before going to LA I did shopping

My opinion is there are enough stores and bargains to be had in Manhattan rather than heading up to Woodbury.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Cakerbaker

I would recommend wandering around soho/ little Italy and China town. They're very close together and are great for shopping and food. If you're planning on going to the Statue of Liberty go online and see if there are tickets available to climb up inside. We did it this year and it was really cool. You need to book this in advance though. With regards to shopping, I was there in March and found most things to be the same price as or more expensive than here as the exchange rate was / still is so bad. We didn't go to any outlet though.

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭Bayberry

Because if they want to shop they should go there - that's why! Who cares if they have 4 days everyone does shopping there. Every year I go there I go shopping. Even last year when I stopped before going to LA I did shopping
    Someone who "needs" to spend a day in Woodbury out of a 4 day trip to NYC already knows about it, and won't be asking for advice here.

(My inner mischief maker also feels the need to point out the fact that the OP is probably a man :D )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

I found the Zagat guide great for finding small local restaurants around the city last few times I was there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭iusedtoknow

Been to NY going on 25 times and have never been - hope to keep it that way as well..same with the wife...absolute waste of time in the city

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭dave2pvd

Reminds me of all those people that used to take the ferry to Hollyhead to buy cheaper booze. What a total waste of life.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,438 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

dave2pvd wrote: »
    Reminds me of all those people that used to take the ferry to Hollyhead to buy cheaper booze. What a total waste of life.

I'd have to agree. Anyone who say they're off to NYC 'to do some shopping' is kidding nobody except themselves. When you take the cost of the airfare and hotel into account, you might as well go to Dundrum and save yourself a few hundred euros.

Go to NYC and see the sights, visit nice restaurants and bars, forget the shopping.

coylemj wrote: »
    I'd have to agree. Anyone who say they're off to NYC 'to do some shopping' is kidding nobody except themselves. When you take the cost of the airfare and hotel into account, you might as well go to Dundrum and save yourself a few hundred euros.

Go to NYC and see the sights, visit nice restaurants and bars, forget the shopping.

Absolutely - life is too short!

Agree with ye. Remember back in the boom days all the Irish going to NY before Christmas to "save" money on gifts, clothes etc....fact is their credit card was paying for it. My friend was in Macy's 2 weeks before Christmas in 2007 and said it was like being in Cleary's with all the Irish accents she heard around the place.

NY is about so much better and bigger things than shopping.

• Advertisement

If you go for long enough you can do shopping and sights. I've been there a lot and have seen all the sights and had time for shopping. The fact of the matter is anyone who says 'I'm off to ny for some shopping' is telling the truth as there is a much bigger selection there than here. Why would you go to dundrum, was there once and it was so rough!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 190 ✭✭baldtooyoung

we went in feb,it is class!
    Go to see the lion king!I am not ones for theatre and musicals but it is unreal.we did rockerfeller at night and empire state during the day.top class.

Go to ellis island,we didn't get off at the statue of liberty just got photos from the boat.it's super.I think there is a huge waiting list to get up to the crown.not sure.

We didn't do any nightlife over there because you are up early and on the go constantly.

Food can be as cheap or as expensive as you like.great choices either end.may I reccomend carmines,italian restaurant,think there is 2 of them.the portions are HUGE!1 lasagna would do 2.not too pricey either.

I am a massive seinfeld fan too,the tour only runs a few months of the year so we couldn't do it.but the hop on/off sight seeing buses stop near 'toms restaurant'(inside was a studio on the show) and we got soup from the soup nazi,tasty tasty tasty.

We went shopping in jersey gardens.if ye like sporty gear get to the puma shop.savage runners,size 13 $16.should have bought 10 pairs.oh and bring your passport too,you get a book of vouchers.it's mad cheap.

Taxi from airport to manhattan is $52 flat fee plus tolls.
    that's all I remember but we did loads and loads and loads.I never wanted to go to new york but now I can't wait to go back!

Fao schwarz!play the big piano.I did and I'm 31!don't go to m&m world,the chocolate is crap over there.

Super super super city!

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭maisiedaisy

Was in New York last spring, would love to go this time of year!

World Trade Centre-Morbid, but worth seeing. We went into the museum, would advise getting there early to avoid queues. Even the memorial outside is worth seeing if you didn't want to do the museum.

Wall Street-we accidentally stumbled onto Wall Street and it was cool just to see it!

Chelsea Market-if you're into food it's well worth a visit, lots of good places to eat there.

Ellis Island-we got the boat that went by the statute of Liberty, but didn't get off there and headed straight to Ellis Island. BE WARY OF TOUTS!! We were told at the entrance to the park that you go through to get to the ferry that you had to buy tickets from the touts, and that you couldn't get out to Ellis Island with out emigration clearance. We went for a wander further on and found the actual ferry that's way cheaper and takes you to Ellis Island.

Empire State-expensive, well worth it. We got tickets for some Empire State birds eye experience thing that puts you in a simulator on the way up-That wasn't really worth it at all.

Times Square-go at night!! Food and bars are extortionate around there though.

Tenant Museum-interesting if you're into history. New York was the third largest German speaking city at one point!

Natural History Museum-they had a special butterfly exhibit when we were there, other than that it was nothing special.

The High Line-park built on an old railway track above the city. We thought it was interesting in February covered in snow, probably well worth a visit now if things are in bloom

Also another tip on food, there is a lovely restaurant in the Waldorf Astoria. Not sure what hotel your staying in, but I always stay here and the food is divine. If you get a chance to go there, do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

FAO Schwartz is sadly closed as of last month.

High Line is a good shout.

Central Park is beautiful and a great resource and oasis. Also check out Grand Central Terminal. Stunning. Just stand by the information stand in the middle or watch from the steps as the world rushes by.

Find yourself a rooftop bar as the sun goes down. Spectacular.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 268 ✭✭Paddy Dreadful

Is the New York pass definitely not worth it?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 268 ✭✭Paddy Dreadful

Is the 7 day subway pass worth getting?

Im confused about the below

7-Day Unlimited Pass
    Cost: $31, reduced fare $15.50
    Good for unlimited subway and local bus rides until midnight, 7 days from day of first use.
    Note: PATH, AirTrain, and Express buses do not accept 7- and 30-Day Unlimited Ride MetroCard.

Wont I need access to the Air train also?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Morpheus

Get the yellow "MetroCard" ticket for the subway - just keep it topped up at the machines in the subway
    its useable on some regular overland commuter trains also you can continue on for free if used within 2 hours of the beginning of your journey.

i was there for 2 weeks in june and this was the recommendation of my NY cousin who showed us around the city and it was handy.
    even better, look around in the subway station and youll see a dumped metro card or two lying around, pick them up and then just load them at the machines, as you get charged a dollar to print a new one first time :)

Anyway read here and see what it says, also download the subway map - better yet get a foldout one when you get over there (ask for this in subway station) and when you get home, frame it and stick it on a wall as a momento, they look awesome!
    https://www.newyorkpass.com/En/new-york-subway-transportation/?aid=5&gclid=Cj0KEQjwgeuuBRCiwpD0hP3Cg4kBEiQAHflm1iU9nMnwD2VCryNoHkHBd5uJJNMKQcnYpo2V8majNXAaAivJ8P8HAQ

also do the top of the rock (rockefeller) rather than empire, empire is really only open on one side to view, where you can walk all around the roof section of the rock.

take the staten island ferry - its FREE! and you get some amazing sites and photos of manhattan and of ellis island and liberty as you cross over, then just stay on the ferry and return to the city, all done in under an hour and a half!

get thee to chinatown too, go to Doyers street and the Nom Wah Tea Parlour!
    My girlfriends family are from hong kong and she was blown away by chinatown, said that it was just like hong kong!

Is the 7 day subway pass worth getting?

Im confused about the below

7-Day Unlimited Pass
    Cost: $31, reduced fare $15.50
    Good for unlimited subway and local bus rides until midnight, 7 days from day of first use.
    Note: PATH, AirTrain, and Express buses do not accept 7- and 30-Day Unlimited Ride MetroCard.

Wont I need access to the Air train also?

Yes, so you'd just top it up as well with the $5 each way. When you get it you can either add "Time" or "Value". Time will ask "7 Days" or "30 Days", and value will let you input how much you want to put on.

So you'll add $10 to cover Air Train both ways and "7 Days" in time.

There are apps on Android and iOS that have the map - look less of a tourist gazing at your phone ;).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭tippgirl123

we went in feb,it is class!
    Go to see the lion king!I am not ones for theatre and musicals but it is unreal.we did rockerfeller at night and empire state during the day.top class.

Go to ellis island,we didn't get off at the statue of liberty just got photos from the boat.it's super.I think there is a huge waiting list to get up to the crown.not sure.

We didn't do any nightlife over there because you are up early and on the go constantly.

Food can be as cheap or as expensive as you like.great choices either end.may I reccomend carmines,italian restaurant,think there is 2 of them.the portions are HUGE!1 lasagna would do 2.not too pricey either.

I am a massive seinfeld fan too,the tour only runs a few months of the year so we couldn't do it.but the hop on/off sight seeing buses stop near 'toms restaurant'(inside was a studio on the show) and we got soup from the soup nazi,tasty tasty tasty.

We went shopping in jersey gardens.if ye like sporty gear get to the puma shop.savage runners,size 13 $16.should have bought 10 pairs.oh and bring your passport too,you get a book of vouchers.it's mad cheap.

Taxi from airport to manhattan is $52 flat fee plus tolls.
    that's all I remember but we did loads and loads and loads.I never wanted to go to new york but now I can't wait to go back!

Fao schwarz!play the big piano.I did and I'm 31!don't go to m&m world,the chocolate is crap over there.

Super super super city!

Hiya u went to see the lion king. How did you book your tickets and did u book before you go. They are very pricey from what I see

Advertisement