Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Orientation week and Electric Picnic

• 18-08-2015 10:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 46

I have an Electric Picnic ticket and am wondering would it be advisable to sell it? I'm going into first year so I have to go to Orientation week but it'll be a 2hour train journey home that Friday and them an hour journey to Stradbally. Have other students sold their tickets or what time would it be acceptable to leave on the Friday?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,560 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

I dont remember orientation being all that useful but that was almost 9 years ago. Is it mandatory attendance now?

You'll regret the things you didn't do more than the things you did.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Iamtheduchess

I dont remember orientation being all that useful but that was almost 9 years ago. Is it mandatory attendance now?

You'll regret the things you didn't do more than the things you did.

Yeah student information said it's obligatory. Like I really would like to go to both and if I could leave Galway at three of four on the Friday I would be able to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭0byme75341jo28

Unless you need to register for a lab or something on Friday you should be fine I imagine. You won't be the only first year missing a few hours of orientation.

You can check your orientation schedule here to see what you'll miss; http://www.nuigalway.ie/orientation/

Unless you need to register for a lab or something on Friday you should be fine I imagine. You won't be the only first year missing a few hours of orientation.

You can check your orientation schedule here to see what you'll miss; http://www.nuigalway.ie/orientation/

I can't see anything about having to register for the labs on Friday timetable (mine are anatomy and physiology?) and if I were to leave at 3 I'd be only missing the Vice Presidents speech on the student experience and then the closing introductory speech. Will they call a roll if I'm not there?

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Banaba

Orientation is a waste of time really, all it entails is a campus and library tour really. I skipped mine last year and it didn't affect me, Im sure your not going to be the only one

• Advertisement

Banaba wrote: »
    Orientation is a waste of time really, all it entails is a campus and library tour really. I skipped mine last year and it didn't affect me, Im sure your not going to be the only one

Did they realise you weren't there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭pmasterson95

Did they realise you weren't there?

They dont check. Never bothered with mine and heard nothing. Enjoy EP you'll get more from that than the orientation!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

Don't worry about it at all. College isn't like school, no one is overly bothered about whether you're there or not, most of the onus is on you to make the effort. There won't be a roll call or anything, yes you might have to register for labs etc. but the beauty of college is also its flexibility - if you miss out on something, most of the time e-mailing the relevant person with an explanation and a plan to make up for something is enough.

Orientation is worth it for meeting people and getting used to college, but it's not going to make or break your whole college experience, especially if you're only missing a few hours. Anyway, think of all the hungover people that will be missing it anyway after a Thursday night. :P

Thanks guys think I'll just leave early Friday afternoon if orientation isn't all that important. 😊

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Don't worry about it. I didn't go to any of my orientation week either time in college. 2 years ago in NUIG or when in college before
    If you may miss something that could be important, registration etc. Email relevant people within university explaining you wont be there and that will be fine

• Advertisement
Advertisement