Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clonakilty Waterfront Marathon, Half & 10k

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Cant believe what i read. It was obvious that this race couldn't go ahead.
    Refunds should be offered and free entry also for those into next years race

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭SeanPuddin_

How do you make the general running population aware of the downside of commercial running races?

It's something I'm only aware of due to trial and error, but often succumbed to the glitz and glamour of a profit event.

Most commercial events I've done have been good, but have never matched the feel of an AC organised run. Smiling volunteers and tea lady's, good will of the community. Etc etc.

So I'm wondering why this isn't promoted to the fullest. Could Athletics Ireland do a better job of educating the masses?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭groovyg

I just had a look at their fb page and the supporters of the event are not doing it any favours. Any negative comments about not cancelling on time are met with abuse and feck off somewhere else to do a marathon type replies. Despite what happened I'm sure it will still get the numbers next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭ASIMON0V

I have no connection to the race but I would think that refunds should be offered in line with their terms and conditions of entry - has anyone seen those? Also they are not liable for any consequential loss or expenses (they were not negligent as far as i can tell).

Whatever they do on top of that is a reflection of their customer service ethos and i suppose how much they are willing to invest in their reputation for future events.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ger664

How do you make the general running population aware of the downside of commercial running races?

It's something I'm only aware of due to trial and error, but often succumbed to the glitz and glamour of a profit event.

Most commercial events I've done have been good, but have never matched the feel of an AC organised run. Smiling volunteers and tea lady's, good will of the community. Etc etc.

So I'm wondering why this isn't promoted to the fullest. Could Athletics Ireland do a better job of educating the masses?

This is the big issue with racing. For whatever reason the general jogging/fit4life runners dont like to do club races as they feel that they are out of place lining up against the skinny guys and gals with singlets on.

They also want the medal t-shirt and all that goes with it. Clubs in general thus far have struggled to tap into this market. For example Our club 10K is on 3-4 weeks after GLR. ~6000 run the 9.8K race in Limerick where we struggle to get near 300.

There are very few AAI clubs running marathon distances races and those that are have relatively small numbers < 200. Clubs need to start stepping up to the mark and offering viable alternatives to these races else nothing is going to change. The recent substantial increase in the numbers running marathons under MCI and EOI means the numbers are there.

As for the AAI educating the masses. GIR and Rock an Roll half are national championship races run on a commercial footing. nice example to set.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭chinguetti

Now I know some people (myself included) can be fair whingers but this non-event has been handled in a terrible way.

Do people who support the organisers really think the race was going to happen with a huge storm hitting the west coast on Saturday? The way people were informed - by an A4 sheet stuck to a door, the lack of details (yet?) on refunds and the attacks on social media of anyone who doesn't agree with the organisers' version of events is crazy.

They might haven ridden out this row if they held their hands up and were honest (Waterford AC as a prime example) but the bad PR they've caused themselves with this makes me wonder if anyone in their right mind would enter it next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭amcgee

I think that this race series bring a lot of spending money to Clonakilty and therefore the local busineses are very supportive to the runclon crew, and these are probably the people defending them in fb, thats only my thought, i am probably wrong!!
    I think people who entered should be given options in terms of deferring entry till next year and or refund.
    i dont think people can expect anything else like hotel refunds etc, thats just bad luck.
    I dont think they will get this option
    they are ignoring anything bad..
    they will still hold the race next year and get enough

this is the type of race club runners and seasoned runners are best served by ignoring them, sure we are only whingers and not real runners apparently runclon organise the best races in the country for real runners..with a smile as they say

• Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭thomas anderson.

RESCHEDULED CLONAKILTY MARATHON VI

NEW DATE SATURDAY FEB 6 TH 2016

Dear runner ,walker and wheel chair participant

First i would like to apologise in my delay in updating you regards information.

I have been having on going meetings throughout the past few days with the Gardai ,County Council ,Red Cross and road contractors whom are undertaking major road works through the town of Clonakilty at present.

As you can appreciate their resources were been stretched throughout the area due to storm and flooding this past weekend.

We the Clon Crew would like to acknowledge their incredible support though past weekend and appreciate in all of their support in facilitating our new agreed race date this evening .

I understand your frustration in not receiving information but we must all appreciate others in towns like Bandon and surrounding areas were not as fortunate with flood damage so close to Christmas.

The Clonakilty Waterfront Marathon appreciates your support and understanding throughout the past few days .

The decision to cancel so late in the day was not taken lightly ,and one I would not like to take again ,that said your health and safety comes first and foremost to me, the Clon Crew and and all our
    support crew .

Every effort and chance was given to allow you to enjoy a safe and great race day sadly the odds on the day were stacked against us.

We are bless to have had five out of six safe and great weathered races days and God willing for Clon VI round II on Feb 6 th 2016 we will again.

I will get to answer every one who has emailed me in person over the coming week, so please bear with me.

You are welcome to email me with any queries but again please understand it will take me time to respond.

Our Web site RUNCLON.IE will be updated in the coming days and now that we have a race day agreed we will be in a position to keep you updated going forward .

Please note we will not be addressing any queries going forward in future on face book .Email to INFO@RUNCLON.IE only.

Thank you for your on going support and we look forward to seeing you all again in the New Year .

On behalf of myself bob and all The Clon Crew,

We wish you all a Peaceful Christmas a Healthy and Happy New Year and look forward to welcoming those of you that can make it home to West Cork in 2016 &#55356;&#57283; xx

We will be opening registration for limited new registrations for Clon VI Feb 6th tomorrow

PLEASE TAKE TIME TO READ IMPORTANT INFORMATION BELOW

http://runclon.ie/

Important Information...

1. If you have already collected your race/chip number last weekend please hold onto.

This race number is your ticket transfer to feb 6th event. You have also collected your t shirt. All you need to do is arrive on time for the 9am start. You are are good to go.

2. If you did not collect your race/chip number we will have it ready for you and your original record of registration is on our system.

We would advise you to bring a copy of your original registration as back up...We Will have your t shirt ready for you when you collect your race/chip number.

3. If you cannot make the rescheduled date Feb 6th 2016, you can transfer to the Clonakilty marathon on Dec 3rd 2016.

4. Refunds; If you cannot attend either dates Feb 6th or Dec 3rd 2016 a refund can be requested directly to bob Hilliard in writing to info@runclon.Ie.

Refund request deadline date Dec 23rd 2015.

If you have already collected your race number and t shirt please return to us, otherwise as you can appreciate €10 will be deducted from the original entry fee.

Thank you for your support and understanding.

RETURN POSTAL ADDRESS .

CLONAKILTY WATERFRONT MARATHON

SOLBACKA

BALLINAFFRIN CROSS

TAWNIES LOWER

CLONAKILTY

CO.CORK .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,560 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

Anyone else thinking of changing up to the full from the half for this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Killerz

Irish_rat wrote: »
    Anyone else thinking of changing up to the full from the half for this?

I'm going for the refund myself. Donadea 50k - which I am signed up for - is on the weekend after the rescheduled event

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Triangla

http://us12.campaign-archive2.com/?u=75051e74eb2d9b432fa298206&id=e7ddcc3141&e=d843046f47

I just got an email about a second medal for finishers to commemorate Martin Luther King Jr, JFK and the French people who were killed in the recent attacks.

There is also to be a minutes silence for those killed.

I am gobsmacked at this. Can't organise cancelling a race in a considerate amount of time then add this dimension to it.

I want to run a marathon, not start world peace. Seriously considering cancelling because of this rubbish. Absolute idiots at the helm of this event.

Still going to do the half, it'll fit in nicely with my training for Rotterdam

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Shane12

Cant believe the waffle I received from them today, what the fcuk are they on.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭paulers06

The new medals are ridonk. Have you seen the faces? When did MLK turn into an Asian man?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

That's hilarious.
    This second additional medal is to acknowledge the late Dr. Martin Luther King Jr and Robert Francis Kennedy for their outstanding contribution to mankind throughout their short-lived lives and to acknowledge all our Participants, our Marshalls, the Gardai, the Town and County Council, The Red Cross, Rapid Response, all our Family and Friends aka. The Clon Crew whom without, these events could not take place. We thank you.

Not a mention of the 2004 Asian tsunami, the Irish Famine or the late Nelson Mandela.

Disgraceful.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

They got a job lot of free medals then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭Myles Splitz

3420365.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ger664

Ladies and Gents.

Its marketing and we are not the target audience
    We only probably will account for 10% of total participation in this type of race.

This ****e works as their is a huge amount of casual runners who want to feel loved and appreciated regardless of how fast or slow they run. They want a t-shirt and the medal and now they will get two happy days. Oh its got a picture Martin Luther on it :)

We might not like it and make fun and jokes but the sad fact is that they will get 2-3 times the participants of most club races at twice the entry fee. Mad but it works.

Until clubs start to market and get their races/events out there then commercial races will still be financially viable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

ger664 wrote: »
    Ladies and Gents.

Its marketing and we are not the target audience
    We only probably will account for 10% of total participation in this type of race.

This ****e works as their is a huge amount of casual runners who want to feel loved and appreciated regardless of how fast or slow they run. They want a t-shirt and the medal and now they will get two happy days. Oh its got a picture Martin Luther on it :)

Ironically MCI are their biggest audience and given they run marathons every week they ought to be the least casual/least commercial.
    Then again: it's all about the Bling!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Out of curiosity, is there any particular reason for Dr. Martin Luther King Jr and Robert Francis Kennedy? Seems an unusual combination to have lying around on medals! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭pampootie

Anyone do this today? I ran the half, found the hills a killer!

I did the half fairly tough plus the conditions didn't help. Question was the finish at the mat as you entered the car park of the hotel or where the clock was situated?. Did anyone notice that the mile markers were out by about 200 metres or so, i.e longer race.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Shane12 wrote: »
    . Did anyone notice that the mile markers were out by about 200 metres or so, i.e longer race.

God sake!!!

I did the full, the amount of hills was crazy and got soaked through a few times.

But, despite the debacle in December and the hippy dippy medals it was very well run.

No hassle picking up race pack later than advertised times, no faffing about at start, plenty of water at the prescribed mile markers, plenty of sweets, Jaffa cakes, Coke and crisps at the prescribed food stations.

Finish line was right at the hotel, loads of free coffee, water, bananas, black & white pudding and free access to the leisure facilities.

I got a swim, jacuzzi, shower and shave in before hitting the road.

The course was tough but the surroundings were just jaw dropping especially with the bad weather.

I would definitely do again after swearing leading up to it I wouldn't after how the December cancellation was handled.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭pampootie

I can't remember where the mat was at all- I know it definitely wasn't under the clock cos I don't stop my watch until I'm over the mat and remember noting it wasn't there but I can't remember running over it before that? I'd run it again but I'd have to do serious hill training beforehand

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

Shane12 wrote: »
    I did the half fairly tough plus the conditions didn't help. Question was the finish at the mat as you entered the car park of the hotel or where the clock was situated?. Did anyone notice that the mile markers were out by about 200 metres or so, i.e longer race.

Compared to your GPS watch?

Yeah, compared to my gps watch, I have referenced this distance against previous events and they are all between 13.13 and 13.16 miles, yesterday I ran 13.26. I was wondering if it was just my watch or did anybody else have this issue?

My watch had me at 13.25 miles. Time said 1:32:28 but they gave me a time of 1:32.56. There was no difference between my gross and net time and I didn't start up the front.

Something is definitely wrong there. Feel a bit cheated as I would have come a few places ahead

So I emailed them and asked them to check my time and they confirmed that my official time should have been 1:32:28. But this time is still for a 13.25 distance run.

Joke shop

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 Glonass

Is this course tougher than connemarathon or dingle? Any gps data from those events? Thanks

Advertisement