Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clonakilty Waterfront Marathon, Half & 10k

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

If your watch showed exactly 13.1 then you'd have to suspect a short course: nobody ever runs the exact shortest route around any course so, even without GPS error, you're bound to measure a bit long.

Presumably it was the same distance for everyone so there's no reason to feel hard done by.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

My watch had me at 13.25 miles. Time said 1:32:28 but they gave me a time of 1:32.56. There was no difference between my gross and net time and I didn't start up the front.

Something is definitely wrong there. Feel a bit cheated as I would have come a few places ahead

So I emailed them and asked them to check my time and they confirmed that my official time should have been 1:32:28. But this time is still for a 13.25 distance run.

Joke shop

13.25 is an acceptable reading on a gps watch for a properly measured course. Berlin marathon generally reads 26.5 to 26.6 on gps ie 400 meters "long". Watches are just a guide and are fairly accurate but they are not the the method used to officially measure a course, a Jones counter is used and is the most accurate method.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭thomas anderson.

ultrapercy wrote: »
    13.25 is an acceptable reading on a gps watch for a properly measured course. Berlin marathon generally reads 26.5 to 26.6 on gps ie 400 meters "long". Watches are just a guide and are fairly accurate but they are not the the method used to officially measure a course, a Jones counter is used and is the most accurate method.

That's fair enough but the time on the watch should be my net time on the results sheet. There's no difference between my gross and net time which would suggest the chip didn't work and they went off the gun time instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

That's fair enough but the time on the watch should be my net time on the results sheet. There's no difference between my gross and net time which would suggest the chip didn't work and they went off the gun time instead.

But it doesn't affect your placing just your time which they have now adjusted. All placings in any races are done by gun to tape. You can't beat someone who crosses the finish line before you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭thomas anderson.

ultrapercy wrote: »
    But it doesn't affect your placing just your time which they have now adjusted. All placings in any races are done by gun to tape. You can't beat someone who crosses the finish line before you.

No they haven't adjusted my time or reissued a new certificate. What do you mean all placings are done from gun to tape? What's the point in having chips so? And of course you can beat someone that crosses the finish line before you, if it was based on your chip time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭Myles Splitz

No they haven't adjusted my time or reissued a new certificate. What do you mean all placings are done from gun to tape? What's the point in having chips so? And of course you can beat someone that crosses the finish line before you, if it was based on your chip time.

All races are governed by AAI (and in turn IAAF rules) which are based on gun time for placing and prize purposes. Chip timing is for personal records only.

http://www.iaaf.org/news/news/sometimes-rules-can-be-complicated-to-explain

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Chip time is for your personal info only. For placings, gun time must be used at all times. It's a rule that is in place for all races.

Advertisement