Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Servicing a Leaf; costs & process

• 18-08-2015 12:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭

As I whizz towards the 20,000km mark, it's time to organise my first service (sounds like the title of a Ladybird book; "My First Service" :)).

Anyway, just wondering what kind of prices I'm looking at and what's involved? Yes, I'll end up going back to where I purchased my Leaf for the service, but I'd like to know what to expect before I book it in.

Anyone got any experience of this?

How much?

How long does it take?

What "raw materials" are involved?

Any tips, questions I should ask, etc.?

Comments

As I whizz towards the 20,000km mark, it's time to organise my first service (sounds like the title of a Ladybird book; "My First Service" :)).

Anyway, just wondering what kind of prices I'm looking at and what's involved? Yes, I'll end up going back to where I purchased my Leaf for the service, but I'd like to know what to expect before I book it in.

Why would you service a Leaf at 20,000 Kms ?

First service (inspection) is 30,000 Kms , 18,000 miles or every year which ever comes first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

I was quoted €99 by Windsor Belgard. Cheapest car service ever if so.

I thought it was 1 year or 50,000km which ever comes first according to the manual?

As far as I know it's pretty much a visual inspection, just making sure there's no corrosion to the body and structural components.

EDIT. I think they may also rotate the tyres.

d3fbbd4b-a871-4d95-b8aa-49397d3e054f.jpg

It's no big deal really if this is stretched to 20,000 miles, 32,000 Kms. Going over a "service" on an EV means nothing, just don't go mad in case it effects the warranty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭cros13

Going over a "service" on an EV means nothing, just don't go mad in case it effects the warranty.

Nissan's guide is that an inspection at least every 50,000km is required for them to honor the warranty.

• Advertisement

cros13 wrote: »
    Nissan's guide is that an inspection at least every 50,000km is required for them to honor the warranty.

50K ? happy days, is this in the manual do you know ?

If it is then I'm not bothered about the "service" cough cough.

I don't bother rotating my tyres, never did, never will.

Nope... It's something I was told by a Nissan Ireland employee. At 100,000km some of the major fluids/lubricants do need to be changed, so that's the first mechanically essential service.

We'll rotate the tires ourselves 'cause we have a lift. But wearing seems fairly even so far so there's no need.

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭shanemkelly

Oh! They put a little sticker "reminder" on my windshield saying "service at 20,000km or Feb-16"...
    Obviously happier to go with the 30,000km interval... or even the 50,000km!
    Thanks all...

Nope... It's something I was told by a Nissan Ireland employee. At 100,000km some of the major fluids/lubricants do need to be changed, so that's the first mechanically essential service.

Wow! :eek:

I think I remember reading on the U.S leaf forum the fluids are changed every 100,000 miles not kms ?

Come to think of it the brake fluid needs to be change, not sure the interval but I presume the normal 2 years would apply.

• Advertisement

I think I remember reading on the U.S leaf forum the fluids are changed every 100,000 miles not kms ?

Come to think of it the brake fluid needs to be change, not sure the interval but I presume the normal 2 years would apply.

The 100,000km is brake fluid, power steering fluid and the cabin air filter.
    160,000km is the lubricants in the gearbox/motor assembly.

On the i3 my services are every 50,000km or two years. Next scheduled service is January 2017, but I'm probably going to hit 50,000km in early 2016.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

I was told 50k km by the sales guy anyway, then again, they say more than their prayers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Scottie99

I'm financed through PCP, all my services are included (3 for 3years). I'm sure you'll have something similar

Scottie99 wrote: »
    I'm financed through PCP, all my services are included (3 for 3years). I'm sure you'll have something similar

I din't get any "servicing" included that I know of.

The dealer stuck a "service due at 15,000 Kms" on my windscreen, snakes !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Scottie99

Yea they did that with me for 14K. Like yourself I just ignored...

Me neither.
    Just wondering now if the dealer perhaps calculates the service intervals based on the PCP mileage, i.e. my annual for PCP is 30,000km and the service-sticker shows "due at 20,000km". :(
    (if hashtags worked & I was a skeptical soul, I'd probably stick in #incomegeneration there :rolleyes:)

Me neither.
    Just wondering now if the dealer perhaps calculates the service intervals based on the PCP mileage, i.e. my annual for PCP is 30,000km and the service-sticker shows "due at 20,000km". :(
    (if hashtags worked & I was a skeptical soul, I'd probably stick in #incomegeneration there :rolleyes:)

No, what they should have done was put a next service due at 30,000 Kms or a year from date of purchase or whichever comes first.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭peposhi

I wonder what the dealer who sold me the car would say if I ask about the 15000km service reminder sticker on my windscreen and the 30000km or a year whichever comes first recommended in the book... My PCP is wset at 20K annual mileage while I've been reminded to go for a service at 15000km...

peposhi wrote: »
    I wonder what the dealer who sold me the car would say if I ask about the 15000km service reminder sticker on my windscreen and the 30000km or a year whichever comes first recommended in the book... My PCP is wset at 20K annual mileage while I've been reminded to go for a service at 15000km...

Well in one way I don't blame them, but it is dishonest. No doubt they'll try and justify it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭peposhi

If you think deeper here the car makers, main dealers, garages will loose serious money with the EVs being N-times more reliable than Ice cars... Less parts, less service, less troubles = less work, less money... One girls on facebook just posted that she paid €49 for wiper changing at 21000km service, no filters, no oil to be replaced. I don't know if anyone here has seen an American video of a renown garage that scams its customers. Ex - oil changing that has never being done, filter replacement never happened but the customer got charged for it... This sort extra income will also disappear or significantly be reduced.

Cros13 mentioned the Beemer is serviced every 50k... that's awesome!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,918 ✭✭✭Soarer

This Leaf in the UK seems to follow the 18k miles model.

Don't see why someone would bother, if it's supposed to be double that.

Soarer wrote: »
    This Leaf in the UK seems to follow the 18k miles model.

Don't see why someone would bother, if it's supposed to be double that.

18,000 miles would be over 28,000 km. So pretty much the 30k from the manual.

Al they do for the first two/three services is rotate the tires (if they even bother) and check that nothing crucial has rusted away. The only reason to service before 100k would be to keep the warranty up.

Al they do for the first two/three services is rotate the tires (if they even bother) and check that nothing crucial has rusted away. The only reason to service before 100k would be to keep the warranty up.

Right; first service happening Friday morning (38,000km).

Anything I should ask for that's not the standard "service type" stuff?

Actually, is that all that the first service includes???

Visual inspection, maybe rotate the tires, fill up the washer fluid and if they are feeling generous they might change the pollen filter.

You should ask for a copy of the battery health report.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,050 ✭✭✭nokia69

its the lack of servicing that makes some in the car industry anti-EV

With the ICE its an easy source of profit

I never rotate the tyres, I always like a good set front and rear.

Advertisement