Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Student laptop

• 18-08-2015 12:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭

Hi, I've just been accepted into Trinity to do science and was wondering if there were any suggestions for a great laptop.

My budget is probably around €750 but I would be grateful for any recommendations.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20 shoopdeboop

What are you looking for? Is it just student stuff, facebook etc. , or gaming/content creation?

There's also a board for laptops here at boards, but I can't post links. You might have more luck there.

I got science too, hope to see you in September! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

Laptop forum is your best bet.

€750 is a lot for a laptop for college though, unless you plan on using it for gaming.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Anderson0702

Oh yeah good point, completely forgot about the tech thread for some reason.... Pretty much just student stuff though as I already have a desktop.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,372 Mod ✭✭✭✭andrew

I'd advise getting something which is as light as possible while having as much battery power as possible, since you'll be lugging it around all day and plugs are in short supply in some libraries (and non existant in lecture halls).

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

If you have a desktop with all relevant apps in it such as office etc then get a chromebook.

There is free WiFi in all buildings on campus. You get a decent amount of online storage free with your college email account which is through Gmail and Google drive.
    Battery life is better than most laptops
    They are small, light and inexpensive

• Advertisement

andrew wrote: »
    I'd advise getting something which is as light as possible while having as much battery power as possible, since you'll be lugging it around all day and plugs are in short supply in some libraries (and non existant in lecture halls).

The Ed Burke has plenty of plugs in each row, and the other Arts block theatres have some on the walls of the the theatre afaik.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 142 ✭✭whoopsadaisy

ToxicPaddy wrote: »
    If you have a desktop with all relevant apps in it such as office etc then get a chromebook.

There is free WiFi in all buildings on campus. You get a decent amount of online storage free with your college email account which is through Gmail and Google drive.

I second this. I think I paid €230 for a Chromebook and couldn't be happier with it. Fits in the handbag and it's really light, and the battery life is unreal. Does everything I need it to.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,372 Mod ✭✭✭✭andrew

The Ed Burke has plenty of plugs in each row, and the other Arts block theatres have some on the walls of the the theatre afaik.

Are the Ed Burke plugs new? Come to think of it I haven't had a lecture there in a long long time.

The plugs in other theatres are barely useable from what I remember, seeing as there are so few and they're pretty far away from even the edge seats.

andrew wrote: »
    Are the Ed Burke plugs new? Come to think of it I haven't had a lecture there in a long long time.

The plugs in other theatres are barely useable from what I remember, seeing as there are so few and they're pretty far away from even the edge seats.

They could be; I was a first year last year so I've no idea what was there before.

Yeah it's always pretty awkward setting up a plug but if you're desperate to charge a laptop, at least there's something there.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Anderson0702

ToxicPaddy wrote: »

Yeah I've heard that chromebooks are great but I dont really have any microsoft office stuff on my desktop since I built it myself and never bothered to get anything other than the bare essentials. Seeing as the chromebook is so cheap though I could buy a chromebook and a student microsoft office for my desktop. Thanks for the help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭Bears and Vodka

They could be; I was a first year last year so I've no idea what was there before.

Yeah it's always pretty awkward setting up a plug but if you're desperate to charge a laptop, at least there's something there.

Yep, new. I think they appeared just before 2013/14 academic year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Polka_Dot

I'm pretty sure plugs are still non-existent in any of the science lecture theatres. I'd advise a decent light laptop with good battery life also. Although in science you shouldn't really need it much. If you prefer to type your notes that's fine, but otherwise there's little need for a laptop in first year science.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

Yeah I've heard that chromebooks are great but I dont really have any microsoft office stuff on my desktop since I built it myself and never bothered to get anything other than the bare essentials. Seeing as the chromebook is so cheap though I could buy a chromebook and a student microsoft office for my desktop. Thanks for the help.

No worries, there is a student site that you have access to by being a full time student and it gives you a yearly license for Microsoft and other applications for free. So I believe you can get MS office, MS project and other applications for nothing to install on Windows or Mac based systems.

Advertisement