Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for a partial capo

• 18-08-2015 12:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭

I was considering buying a partial capo. I wasn't sure what tuning to go for but then I saw this: http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B004A85EB8

I like the idea of being able to use the capo on any combination of strings. However the reviews make it sound like it doesn't work very well. I was wondering if there is a similar capo of better quality available anywhere? Or does anyone here own one of the capos in the link and if so is it as bad as the Amazon reviewers say?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭martinedwards

get a bog standard Kyser copy of ebay and you can cut the rubber to suit.

I've never tried the split capo thing, but I know a guy who does it a lot and he had a bag full of capos with different combinations of pad and gap to allow all sorts of variety.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

I have a Kyser one that frets three strings, so it would be the A,D, G strings or the B,G,D depending on how you put it on.

It opens up the guitar to mimic alternate tunings without having to retune it.

For example, if you cover the A,D,G on the second fret, you can play chords similar to what you might be able to if you were in DADGAD.

I can't even remember where I got it from, but it was online for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Triad

I guess a Spider Capo should do the trick. I'm not allowed to post links but if you search with Google you'll find it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

I ended up ordering the Spider Capo from Amazon but they sent me a cheap copy (a 'Flanger Flexi-Capo') which I've read falls apart after a week or two. The Spider Capo costs about three times as much so I'm going to try and return the cheap piece of rubbish I was sent. I've ordered a real one from the manufacturers website.

In the meantime I cut up a cheap capo I bought from Argos a few months ago. I don't have a hacksaw or anything suitable for cutting steel so I couldn't cut the actual capo. I just cut the rubber. It works and I got some nice sounding chords, although if I cut the end off of the capo it would make it easier to play.

359882.jpg

Advertisement