Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

CL Qual | Manchester United V Club Brugge | 7:45 pm | BT Sport Europe & TV3

12345679»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭caviardreams

That's why we didn't sell Fellaini - great plan B off the bench. A different option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,196 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

HOOF BALL FTW,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Rossi IRL wrote: »
    Lump of a lamppost?

I dont ****ing care right now, GET IN

This humble pie could do with some frosting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,068 ✭✭✭yermandan

Memphis was outstanding

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Ouch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 655 ✭✭✭marvsins

Get in the big man !!

Haunted the whistle hadn't gone though !

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

The Belgian gives us breathing space against the Belgians.

Great game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

Better off playing Fellaini upfront does more then rooney :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Simply Red

Big goal, takes a bit of the pressure off for the next leg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭aligator_am

Mic Fellaini!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Fellaini. Legend.

2 goals and a sublime assist from Memphis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

OctavarIan wrote: »
    Doesn't matter, Utd are winning 3-1.

Never lost faith :pac: (maybe a little)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,632 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Could see Fellaini replacing Januzaj in the starting XI - Januzaj was fairly quiet, didn't do much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Nib

HOOF BALL FTW,
    Hardly hoof ball. It was a great cross by Memphis.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Perfect time for that extra half glass of Red....to celebrate.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

FutureGuy wrote: »
    Don't see United scoring two goals, which I would consider the minimum.

Getting on Bastian and Ander asap increases my hopes.

Ye can all thank me now.

• Think all the 'bruge' fans flicked back to EastEnders

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭GreNoLi

Standard win for united.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭NoviGlitzko

Fellani, love the man!

Memphis was fantastic tonight. A really great game to watch too - best since the City game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,068 ✭✭✭yermandan

HAHAHAHAHAHA look at fellaini beside Memphis. They look like Penn and Teller ffs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nolars

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,592 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Great for him though to come on and score while he's still suspended in the PL, will be intereresting to see LvG's plans for him in the PL when he's back, probably only the occasional start but a useful sub to have

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,592 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

TV3 making me want to throw stuff at the TV. Over to R5 on satellite radio

Scrap the cap!

TV3 making me want to throw stuff at the TV. Over to R5 on satellite radio

Careful what you wish for. Chris Waddle is there.....

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Think all the 'bruge' fans flicked back to EastEnders

Absolute bantz

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,776 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Jesus he may aswell have just not out anyone on except he puts on that waste of space of a lamp post

tumblr_n0ztajkSg21qldrydo1_500.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Qualify for the Champions League and they automatically become one of the favourites. Definitely the Premier Leagues best hope.
    This was posted on the BBC coverage. Although I know it's not representative of all Man U fans (that said the BBC has a vote of who is the next side to challenge for the CL after Barca and Real and Man U are second with 15% of the vote, Bayern are first with 39%, it's still pretty deluded, tbf.

The current Man U squad is probably the weakest (relatively) they've had in twenty years. Chelsea and Arsenal have more big players with European experience in their squads and City have a stronger squad overall.

Didn't get to watch all the game but have seen Man U's first two league games and from the sounds of it, it was similar stuff. With all due respect to Bruge, Villa and Spurs are probably better sides and then the standard of sides that they'll actually meet in the CL will be a lot different. Man U have done enough so far but, like Liverpool last year, being back in Europe could cause them to struggle a bit, even more so if they don't bring in more defensive and forward options.

Their coefficients will probably get them a decent enough group but this squad has a long way to go to be considered one of the CL favourites, let alone the English CL favourites.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,831 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Rooney was OK, I didn't think he was poor.

Big goal at the end.

Memphis, Smalling and Shaw were decent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

This was posted on the BBC coverage. Although I know it's not representative of all Man U fans (that said the BBC has a vote of who is the next side to challenge for the CL after Barca and Real and Man U are second with 15% of the vote, Bayern are first with 39%, it's still pretty deluded, tbf.

The current Man U squad is probably the weakest (relatively) they've had in twenty years. Chelsea and Arsenal have more big players with European experience in their squads and City have a stronger squad overall.

Didn't get to watch all the game but have seen Man U's first two league games and from the sounds of it, it was similar stuff. With all due respect to Bruge, Villa and Spurs are probably better sides and then the standard of sides that they'll actually meet in the CL will be a lot different. Man U have done enough so far but, like Liverpool last year, being back in Europe could cause them to struggle a bit, even more so if they don't bring in more defensive and forward options.

Their coefficients will probably get them a decent enough group but this squad has a long way to go to be considered one of the CL favourites, let alone the English CL favourites.

We are nowhere near challenging for the CL right now.

But your assessment of the game is incorrect. It was nothing like the first two games. Just have a look at the shot stats and they tell the story. United should probably have won this by a couple of more goals.

We are nowhere near challenging for the CL right now.

But your assessment of the game is incorrect. It was nothing like the first two games. Just have a look at the shot stats and they tell the story. United should probably have won this by a couple of more goals.
    I will freely admit I haven't a clue about the game as I didn't get to see it in full, was just following the updates half-heartedly on the BBC and that was just the impression I got but won't stand behind it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,632 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Dunno about that - United have had weaker squads in the last 5-6 years. All this squad is missing is a right winger (soon to be solved by all accounts), and depending on your view of Blind, a ball playing centreback. That would make them the strongest side United have fielded in years.

Sand wrote: »
    Dunno about that - United have had weaker squads in the last 5-6 years. All this squad is missing is a right winger (soon to be solved by all accounts), and depending on your view of Blind, a ball playing centreback. That would make them the strongest side United have fielded in years.
    Defense still needs work. Right wing is another problem and after Rooney and Hernandez they could do with some stronger out-and-out forwards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

I think United's defence has been very strong. Smalling has morphed into a monster. Agreed on right wing, and centre forward though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭Bret Hart

It was a very exciting game,with a lot of scoring chances, good defending from Utd when it counted, come back, classic late goal and a win.

I think United's defence has been very strong. Smalling has morphed into a monster. Agreed on right wing, and centre forward though.
    Smalling looks very good so far this year and Shaw looks a lot more settled. Think Rojo still needs to settle a bit more before he can be really judged.

Haven't really noticed much of Blind when he's played in defence. He hasn't stood out, for better or for worse. Valencia just isn't a RB.

I saw Darmian against Villa and he made several clumsy fouls. Fair enough, he needs time to adjust but I can only judge him on what I've seen so far. Evans, if he stays, and Jones are alright but I don't see them ever becoming key players. Then there's McNair and Blackett who both have a long way to go.

At the moment, I think it still needs a bit of work. And if they get struck with the same kind of injuries as last year, bear in mind they didn't have any European football, the defence will really struggle.

• yermandan wrote: »
    HAHAHAHAHAHA look at fellaini beside Memphis. They look like Penn and Teller ffs

I just realised you posted for once...wahey!!! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

Haven't seen alot of United in the past year but watched the game tonight. They deserved their win but I wasn't overly impressed. I wouldn't say it's curtains for Brugge yet. If they really go for it at home then they are still in with a shout as there's massive weaknesses in United's midfield and defense which could easily be exploited. Some of Brugge's link up play was super at times, and they really seem to have an eye for picking out an over-the-top through ball. Had their player who came off in the first half not have had two horrendous first touches they could have been through twice that half, and another few times in the second only for more clumsy touches from their final man. If they get that final touch right there's a few goals in it for them, and you'd expect them to get more chances at home, but in saying that there's more goals in it for United too. Brugge's passing in tight area's and in general was very good and at home you would expect them to control the tempo and with that away goal it will make for an interesting second leg. United's stats from the game were very impressive but a bit misleading and don't tell the full story

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭MythicalMadMan

Haven't seen alot of United in the past year but watched the game tonight. They deserved their win but I wasn't overly impressed. I wouldn't say it's curtains for Brugge yet. If they really go for it at home then they are still in with a shout as there's massive weaknesses in United's midfield and defense which could easily be exploited. Some of Brugge's link up play was super at times, and they really seem to have an eye for picking out an over-the-top through ball. Had their player who came off in the first half not have had two horrendous first touches they could have been through twice that half, and another few times in the second only for more clumsy touches from their final man. If they get that final touch right there's a few goals in it for them, and you'd expect them to get more chances at home, but in saying that there's more goals in it for United too. Brugge's passing in tight area's and in general was very good and at home you would expect them to control the tempo and with that away goal it will make for an interesting second leg. United's stats from the game were very impressive but a bit misleading and don't tell the full story

Seems a bit silly to say if they had a few better touches they'd have had more goals and seemingly ignore the clear cut chances we missed. Stats dont tell the full story but most people who watched the game would think we should have won by more

Seems a bit silly to say if they had a few better touches they'd have had more goals and seemingly ignore the clear cut chances we missed. Stats dont tell the full story but most people who watched the game would think we should have won by more

Well the best of those came when Brugge were down to 10 men, but they had some other good chances too, which is why I said they deserved their win. Both teams showed alot of weaknesses in defence so there's still alot of goals left in the tie I reckon. But had the Brugge front men showed a bit more composure tonight (sure they reefed their striker off before half time for ballsing up what should have been 3 one on ones with the keeper), United could have been in serious trouble and they'll be punished heavily by better teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

ManUtd midfield and defense is not average. Midfield is very good and defense is good.

Yeah their combination play was good that they had 1 shot on goal yesterday. Romero didn't even make any save at all.
    Well the best of those came when Brugge were down to 10 men, but they had some other good chances too, which is why I said they deserved their win. Both teams showed alot of weaknesses in defence so there's still alot of goals left in the tie I reckon. But had the Brugge front men showed a bit more composure tonight (sure they reefed their striker off before half time for ballsing up what should have been 3 one on ones with the keeper), United could have been in serious trouble and they'll be punished heavily by better teams.

Not sure how ManUtd defense showed weakness this season as they have been rock solid and even yesterday apart from fluke own goal they didn't even test Romero.

• Advertisement

Smalling looks very good so far this year and Shaw looks a lot more settled. Think Rojo still needs to settle a bit more before he can be really judged.

Haven't really noticed much of Blind when he's played in defence. He hasn't stood out, for better or for worse. Valencia just isn't a RB.

I saw Darmian against Villa and he made several clumsy fouls. Fair enough, he needs time to adjust but I can only judge him on what I've seen so far. Evans, if he stays, and Jones are alright but I don't see them ever becoming key players. Then there's McNair and Blackett who both have a long way to go.

At the moment, I think it still needs a bit of work. And if they get struck with the same kind of injuries as last year, bear in mind they didn't have any European football, the defence will really struggle.

Darmian was excellent in all the games he played. Apart from one clumsy incident against Richards he has not put a foot wrong.

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    ManUtd midfield and defense is not average. Midfield is very good and defense is good.

Yeah their combination play was good that they had 1 shot on goal yesterday. Romero didn't even make any save at all.

Not sure how ManUtd defense showed weakness this season as they have been rock solid and even yesterday apart from fluke own goal they didn't even test Romero.

If that's what you think you'll be in for a shock as the season wears on. Brugge regularly had acres of space down their right wing and should have made some count only for terrible final balls. As I already said the Brugge player should have been in on goal about 3 times in the first half alone and was taken off as he messed each chance up with terrible touches letting United off the hook several times. Same in the second half with miserable final touches. Had the Brugge forwards been sharper they would have been in behind Uniteds defense about 7 or 8 times tonight, not to mention the United defence looking very shaky clearing balls over the top where Brugge nearly got in a few times. United also made some last gasp sliding clearances to cut out a few through balls which would have put Brugge through another few times showing how stretched and open they were at times. I wouldn't worry about Romero being tested or not, Brugge don't take pot shots, their whole game is based on passing and splitting defenses open with through balls and putting men in on goal. They didn't succeed tonight but on another night they could have had 3 or 4, and they will have another night at home where they'll be the ones pushing forward for the match. From a neutral point of view I don't see how anyone could have been happy with that shaky defensive display from United . The fact they only conceded one was down to Brugge themselves not being sharp enough , not Uniteds good defense, and just serves to paper over cracks. I fully expect a Brugge win in the second leg

If that's what you think you'll be in for a shock as the season wears on. Brugge regularly had acres of space down their right wing and should have made some count only for terrible final balls. As I already said the Brugge player should have been in on goal about 3 times in the first half alone and was taken off as he messed each chance up with terrible touches letting United off the hook several times. Same in the second half with miserable final touches. Had the Brugge forwards been sharper they would have been in behind Uniteds defense about 7 or 8 times tonight, not to mention the United defence looking very shaky clearing balls over the top where Brugge nearly got in a few times. United also made some last gasp sliding clearances to cut out a few through balls which would have put Brugge through another few times showing how stretched and open they were at times. I wouldn't worry about Romero being tested or not, Brugge don't take pot shots, their whole game is based on passing and splitting defenses open with through balls and putting men in on goal. They didn't succeed tonight but on another night they could have had 3 or 4, and they will have another night at home where they'll be the ones pushing forward for the match. From a neutral point of view I don't see how anyone could have been happy with that shaky defensive display from United . The fact they only conceded one was down to Brugge themselves not being sharp enough , not Uniteds good defense, and just serves to paper over cracks. I fully expect a Brugge win in the second leg

All based on assumptions and what could have happen. meh. pass.

Advertisement