Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

120 thousand euros in savings and not sure what to do

Options
  • 18-08-2015 1:40pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5

Hi, this might be an unusual one but all advice is welcome.

As a result of hard saving and a large redundancy I have 120k to do something with in property. Thats if I choose property for it all, I might travel with some of it and leave 100k to invest.

But let's say 120k. Now here's the thing, Im currently out of work and have been for nearly a year but hope to be returning soon. So Im not sure if a bank will lend me 100k or so based on the following idea I have:

Will they give me a mortgage based on me buying a 3 bed in Dublin and renting the other two rooms, thus having the mortgage covered? Ive worked it out and this is very viable.

But has anyone on here ever got a mortgage based on this kind of premise? And did you do it when out of work?

I was also thinking that another option would be to outright buy an apartment in somewhere like Drogheda for circa 60k and rent it out, at least that way my savings are in use.

Im single with no kids so thats how I can rent out any other surples rooms.

Feedback appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭Speedwell

Please don't leave yourself cashless, whatever you decide. You will need a pot of money to take care of the inevitable maintenance and repair costs, landlord taxes, and other incidentals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Why property? Why not a decent yielding savings account, or stocks?

With property, the return is poor, the hassle is high, the legal protection for landlords is grim. You can rent a place out, the tenant decides not to pay the rent, and you're left trying to evict them for a year. You will need to do a tax return, and pay ~50% of the rent in a tax bill to the govt. Plus property tax, PRTB fees, etc.

Or, you can rent a place out, they can damage it, and you're left with huge bills. And , you're the evil landlord. Zero sympathy from any quarter when you're getting ripped off.

If going into property at all, I'd advise commercial over residential. I get better return from commercial, and in my experience you're less likely to be messed about. Longer leases too. But I'd say with that small a fund to start with, stick it in savings, stocks and bonds, or feed it into a pension.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭Speedwell

I'm assuming all of your debt is paid off, especially credit cards that carry high interest rates? Paying off a debt at 10 percent is a better investment than getting 5 percent on savings.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5 Retweet89

pwurple wrote: »
    Why property? .

Im not going to go into the circumstances of why Im back living at the parent's home, but I am at the moment and I now need my own space.

I cant rent at the moment with no job but a 3 bed house at 220k for example with the other two rooms rented out would cover the mortgage and give me my own place.
    Speedwell wrote: »
    I'm assuming all of your debt is paid off

It is thankfully.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Retweet89 wrote: »
    I cant rent at the moment with no job

If you have EUR120k in cash, you can afford to rent somewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

So, you need someplace to live, rather than an investment. That's a different story.

Without a permanent job, you're unlikely to be able to get a mortgage. Most mortgage lenders expect at least 6 months of employment payslips, and a letter from your employer confirming that you are permanent.

So, you could hold off another year until you are in that position, or buy for cash now.

Wasting savings on rent is hardly a wise course of action.

If you could buy somewhere and live there while letting rooms under the rent a room scheme I think that would be a wise course of action you wont get a mortgage unless you are working though.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Speedwell wrote: »
    ... Paying off a debt at 10 percent is a better investment than getting 5 percent on savings.
    That's true. Even more valid when you consider that the typical rate on debts other than mortgages is over 10%, and that it is just about impossible to get a secure investment for a €120k sum that pays as much as 2%, let alone 5%.

OP, are you committed to Dublin?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

I can't see a bank lending you 120k with no job on the basis of renting out other 2 rooms. However I could be wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭MouseTail

pwurple wrote: »
    Why property? Why not a decent yielding savings account, or stocks?.

Savings and stocks are means when it comes to calculating JSA, whereas a persons PPR is not. I don't think you will get a mortgage OP without an income, the choice is to buy with cash outside Dublin, or wait to buy until you have built up an employment record.

• Advertisement

I was waiting for something like this to pop up :)

Renting with no income is a stupid choice when your parents are ok with you staying with them for the moment, I have looked after them and then some over the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭draiochtanois

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭gaius c

Yo want to move out of your parents to get your own space which you would then share with two total strangers?

I think you should hold off on all decisions until your employment situation becomes clearer. The money in the bank isn't running away so take your time and don't be rushed.

gaius c wrote: »
    Yo want to move out of your parents to get your own space which you would then share with two total strangers?

Im 31 and Im not getting on with my parents so yes I need to move out :)

I would of course interview any tennants to make sure they're on my wavelength.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

But let's say 120k. Now here's the thing, Im currently out of work and have been for nearly a year but hope to be returning soon. So Im not sure if a bank will lend me 100k or so based on the following idea I have
    Can't see a bank giving you a mortgage with no history of earning income to pay back the mortgage.

Buy a house for less than a hundred when you come back, so you don't have to spend money fixing it, nor spend money fixing stuff that brakes whilst you're away.

Finally, buy when you come back, in case you decide to get a job not in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭gaius c

Im 31 and Im not getting on with my parents so yes I need to move out :)

I would of course interview any tennants to make sure they're on my wavelength.

The second part of my post contained my considered advice.:P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭maggiepip

If I had 120,000 I would buy outright a house outside dublin for around 70,000. Plenty of good houses for that price down the country. I would then rent it out, rental income being mine with no mortgage. Would give me the security that whatever happens I fully own a house and would always have a rent/mortgage free place to live if I choose. Spend the leftover cash wisely!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭lima

Ignore grumpy landlords who have been burned in the boom and find somewhere to live in and rent out. You will have to get a job first though if you want to live in Dublin.

best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,577 ✭✭✭dubrov

What happens when interest rates go up but rent stays the same?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

maggiepip wrote: »
    If I had 120,000 I would buy outright a house outside dublin for around 70,000. Plenty of good houses for that price down the country. I would then rent it out, rental income being mine with no mortgage. Would give me the security that whatever happens I fully own a house and would always have a rent/mortgage free place to live if I choose. Spend the leftover cash wisely!

I totally disagree. Only buy in areas with a large amount of different industries and organisations. There is no point buying in a town reliant on one American Multinational, who decides to move the factory to a low wage countries on extremely short notice. Limerick was badly effected when Dell closed down.

OP you can buy a 2 bed apartment for around 90-100k in Ballymun. Its close to the DCU end and you can rent out the 2nd room for 12k a year tax free. Parts of Ballymun are fine. If they ever build the metro/luas to the airport, the apartment will rise in value from that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

newacc2015 wrote: »
    I totally disagree. Only buy in areas with a large amount of different industries and organisations. There is no point buying in a town reliant on one American Multinational, who decides to move the factory to a low wage countries on extremely short notice. Limerick was badly effected when Dell closed down.

OP you can buy a 2 bed apartment for around 90-100k in Ballymun. Its close to the DCU end and you can rent out the 2nd room for 12k a year tax free. Parts of Ballymun are fine. If they ever build the metro/luas to the airport, the apartment will rise in value from that

Good advice imo.

dubrov wrote: »

Rent has been on the increase year on year with no end in sight. Im sure there's a ceiling but I sure cant see it hitting it yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

This post has been deleted.

AirBnB is subject to income tax

Without mortgage interest to write off the OP could face a large tax bill when they start to work with a fully rented property.

dubrov wrote: »

If interest rates go up (there is no sign of it happening anytime soon) rent will be increased also and even if it wasn't it just means a bigger write off against tax if the interest is higher.

If interest rates go up (there is no sign of it happening anytime soon) rent will be increased also and even if it wasn't it just means a bigger write off against tax if the interest is higher.

The ECB increased interest rates when the Eurozone Economy was flat lining around 08/09. The ECB are so afraid of inflation, they dont care if they destroy economic growth. They were incredible slow to engage with QE

The Fed in the US, are increasing rates. I would expect interest rate hikes in the Eurozone within 3-4 years. Germany is doing well, Spain is improving, France is France. But if there is a hint of 2-3% inflation, you should start to worried about interest rate hikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

newacc2015 wrote: »
    The ECB increased interest rates when the Eurozone Economy was flat lining around 08/09. The ECB are so afraid of inflation, they dont care if they destroy economic growth. They were incredible slow to engage with QE

The Fed in the US, are increasing rates. I would expect interest rate hikes in the Eurozone within 3-4 years. Germany is doing well, Spain is improving, France is France. But if there is a hint of 2-3% inflation, you should start to worried about interest rate hikes.

If you are getting a mortgage now, then it would be wise to fix for at least 15 years, if not full term, given how low rates are. Not sure what the rates in Ireland are like, but you can fix for 15 years here for under 2%. It is not going to get much better and even so, being fixed at least gives you peace of mind.

jester77 wrote: »
    If you are getting a mortgage now, then it would be wise to fix for at least 15 years, if not full term, given how low rates are. Not sure what the rates in Ireland are like, but you can fix for 15 years here for under 2%. It is not going to get much better and even so, being fixed at least gives you peace of mind.

Max fixed you can get is 10 years at 4.5%. Its a horrific rates, when the ECB baselines is 0.05% and the banks aim for around a 2% margin on mortgages

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Elliottsmum79

Becoming a landlord to a property at a distance is a v tricky game. Replace a gas boiler at a weekend/bad tenants/ registration fees/tax on income. caveat emptor...

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Elliottsmum79

If/when you are back working in Dublin with 6 months of permanent employment approach the bank for mortgage. You will probably need to demonstrate the ability to pay your mortgage independent of tenants rent. But then, you will be a 50% LTV mortgage bracket which would be fine with the bank once you meet the rest of the income criteria ( can cover full mortgage repayments, in full time permanant employment, good credit rating, deposit -which you obviously have)....

• Advertisement

Just keep in mind if you buy a property, rent it out and are not living there yourself the tenants may well be very destructive, may end up refusing to pay the rent and may well end up refusing to leave until you have gone through legal loopholes... You are also responsible for their safety and well being..... if I remember correctly a prosecution for manslaughter was taken against a couple of doctors who rented a house. the gas was faulty and killed the tenant I think.........

Advertisement