Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Low usage charge- not happy

Options
  • 18-08-2015 1:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,138 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    We're selling a house and it's virtually empty for over 5 months now. just got a bill and found that
    we're being charged a low usage charge. "This is an increased Standing Charge that only applies where you use two units or less of electricity on average per day in a billing period"
    So I phoned support and were told about it in more details. I asked if it'd be cheaper to leave a lightbulb on all the time and  your colleague said yes, if it's under 2 units a day then it's cheaper.
    1. Can you tell me why this charge is in place? I see an excuse on your site ( enable Electric Ireland recover the costs associated with providing electricity to customers with very low usage.) but for someone who has been a customer for years and years it's very unfair to get this charge now I think.
    2. So Electric Ireland is openingly saying that it's better to leave a lightbulb on CONSTANTLY (wasting electricity) to save money?

https://www.electricireland.ie/residential/help/billing/what-is-the-low-user-standing-charge

Patrick

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭Electric Ireland: David

Hi dineenp,

Thanks for getting in touch, and we're sorry to hear you're unhappy about this.
    Can you tell me why this charge is in place? I see an excuse on your site ( enable Electric Ireland recover the costs associated with providing electricity to customers with very low usage.) but for someone who has been a customer for years and years it's very unfair to get this charge now I think.
    The section on our website you refer to fully explains the reasons for introducing this charge; I'm sorry I can't direct you elsewhere. As outlined there, a typical residential electricity customer uses approximately 14 units per day, so customers who use 2 units or less per day in any given billing period would be in a very small minority.

The alternative would have been to increase standing charges for all customers; however it was felt that a fairer approach would be to apply the charge only to accounts where the costs associated with providing electricity weren't being recovered.
    dineenp wrote:
    So Electric Ireland is openingly saying that it's better to leave a lightbulb on CONSTANTLY (wasting electricity) to save money?
    We're committed to energy efficiency so we certainly don't mean to be giving this message. We have set the daily threshold at a very low level and in the vast majority of cases only empty/vacant households and premises will attract this increased charge.

If you have any other questions please don't hesitate to ask.

Regards,
    David

Advertisement