Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scam E - Mail

Options
  • 18-08-2015 2:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭

Received an Email this morning, asking me to "UPDATE MY EIRCOM". I suspected that it was a scam and checked with Eircom. I was correct. It was a very professional looking message and would certainly convince some unfortunate users supply to their details.
    Bank details were being sought as were all card details. Please warn all your friends and colleagues to ignore this as it is another outrageous scam.

Comments

These scams are global, not limited to Wicklow! You would do well to post this to Facebook if you use it, Twitter or any social media site. People do get taken in by these scams. Similar threads about scams exist in many forums here on Boards.

I've had emails from "Bank of Ireland" with addresses like "bankofireland.xyz" asking for my log in details. The most prolific scam at the moment is the "Microsoft virus scam" where someone rings you up, says Microsoft alerted them that you have a virus, etc. My father fell for this. I'm still mad at the guy even though he's now passed away, I told him how the scam works yet he still fell for it! I told you so was only apt after that. Found out since an uncle and also my elderly landlord fell prey to this scam too.

Always ring the company before handing over details. If you get an email asking for details, ring the company. If you get a phonecall saying they are from such-and-such, tell them you will hang up, call the company, and do it through that. If they are genuine then they wont have a problem with this. Never reply to an email you weren't expecting.

Advertisement