Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Potato Advice

Options
  • 18-08-2015 2:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi, first time post and looking for advice on potatoes. I generally only get Roosters when shopping but occasionally get Maris pipers for chipping.

I am fairly clueless when it comes to potatoes (being Irish that sounds pretty silly) but I am trying to be slightly more knowledgeable so I can buy different varieties.

One thing I would like to know is what potatoes are good for boiling with skins off. Roosters are definitely not as they just go to mush when boiled.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated and any relevant links but definitely geared to Irish produce

Cheers in advance
    Aj

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I love roosters, and they fall apart when I boil them too so I usually steam them. They're very floury potatoes. The more waxy varieties hold their shape better when they're boiled. I really like the baby salad potatoes you can buy in little bags because they boil really well, and if you gently crush them afterwards and drizzle them with olive oil, they're lovely roasted. You can add things like rosemary and garlic to them before putting them into the oven.

There's a handy list of Irish potato varieties here http://www.potato.ie/varieties/

I've moved this into the Cooking & Recipes forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

I prefer to use Roosters when making mashed potatoes, but you're right, they fall to pieces. As Dizzyblonde suggested, you can steam them, or what I do is cut them into smaller pieces so they cook quicker. If you leaves them whole the outsides boil away to mush before they're fully cooked through.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Was at a cookery course and the chef said to bake spuds, and then scoop the flesh out for mash. He wasn't wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,269 ✭✭✭squonk

+1 for that! I discovered that on my own! :) It's so much effort to go to thogh but really worth it. It stands to reason too. Baking drives out the moisture and when you put moisture back in the form of milk and butter you get far better results.

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭bluecherry74

M&S do a lovely potato called Chopin which boils without falling apart.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭nosietoes

Best tip I ever received about boiled spuds: never let them get to a roiling boil as it will break them about. Leave them at a healthy simmer - takes longer but is much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,040 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

nosietoes wrote: »
    Best tip I ever received about boiled spuds: never let them get to a roiling boil as it will break them about. Leave them at a healthy simmer - takes longer but is much better.

Even better tip :
    Don't boil potatoes. Steam them.
    No more mush, ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭dibkins

I also can't boil spuds apart from those little tiny ones. If i want mash I bake my spuds and then squeeze them out of the skins (with an oven glove) for easy mashing.

Usually i make baked wedges or twice baked potatos though,both with the delicious skin on. nomnom.

Advertisement