Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Even if it doesnt appear to be private land, it probably is. A BAD EXPERIENCE.

• 18-08-2015 3:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭

I had a terrible experience yesterday. I went out camping after spending hours and hours on google and bing maps trying to find somewhere with a flat piece of grass that didnt look like it was a field.

I found what I thought was a suitable spot near Streedagh beach in Sligo. Set up my tent and had dinner etc. Ended up not being such a quiet spot and engaged in many conversations with passing joggers, people walking dogs, cyclists and even people riding horses. Just as the sun was setting we were washing up the plates etc when a man drives over the dunes in his 4x4 and stops literally 3 inches from the table and beckons me over. He told me that camping isnt permitted and why was I there. I said I didnt know it wasnt permitted and I asked him why it wasnt permitted and if it was private land as I assumed it wasnt as there were no fences or anything like that. He said he was one of the owners and that I had to go. I asked him if it would be OK to stay until the morning as it was literally getting dark right then as the sun had just dipped below the horizon and I promised him that I would leave no sign that I had been there and I even apologised that i had not sought permission, but that it was a genuine mistake on my part. He then exploded and started swearing at me, saying that if I didnt pack up straight away, he would go and "get the others" who would lift us off and he would be back with his shotgun and to "have a nice night!".

So my girlfriend and I packed up the tent by torchlight and trudged back to the car with a wet tent. The worst of it was all of the other people we had met were warm and friendly and even a man who lived just over the dune had stopped and chatted with us for a while and he was talking about how he had an Orkney Longliner boat just around the headland, and that we should go for a walk over and told us where his boat house was and we should feel free to walk in and have a look at it if we wished. This was my very first experience camping in Ireland and it was very distressing and disappointing to have been threatened in that way. I hate to think what it would have been like had I actually been rude to him, or even had stood up to his threats. Of course I could have called the Gardai etc, but realistically what difference would it make. I now really appreciate the rights to roam we have in Scotland, I always took them for granted!

On the plus side I did get a few photos before this all happened.

20150817_180238.jpg20150817_191113.jpg20150817_204606.jpg20150817_204625.jpg20150817_204830.jpg

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,745 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

It's a shame about the bloke you met, it may well be that others were not as thoughtful as you and had left the place in a mess, hence the attitude. That's some setup you had, looks very comfortable.

I guess the moral of the story is always seek landowners permission, or risk being evicted. I find state employees a bit more accommodating if you are caught out close to nightfall.

The have freedom to roam laws in quite a few countries, but Ireland isn't one unfortunately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭TireeTerror

Where can you go? What I was looking for was somewhere away from people. That spot was a bad choice because it became quiet busy and I didnt expect that. I honestly went scrolling up the coast, around lough after lough, followed rivers, all on bing maps trying to find somewhere from Sligo a good way up into Donegal. All along the coast its just field after field of agri land.

I would like somewhere that you wake up and there is little sign of humanity, where there is privacy. Where I can hear the birds singing and just observe nature. Because the tent is not exactly tiny, I need somewhere with a flat piece of grass, which is actually quite hard to find if youre not in a field used for agriculture. I dont want campsites or facilities or any of that stuff. You couldnt pay me to go there.

I will buy a roof tent at some stage for my Land Rover and that will open up a lot more options, but in the meantime I would love to actually try out the airbed I bought yesterday especially for this trip! Ive always used small tents and a sleeping m,at, but the girlfriend insisted on an airbed. I did lay on it when I blew it up, it was unlike any camping experience Ive ever had!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

Where can you go?

Assuming permission has been given etc, Coillte land.

It can be hard to find a good spot in this country. Even if a particular spot looks great on a map, it can turn out to be unsuitable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Where can you go?

Mountains, Forests. Certain national parks.
    Wild land.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

a few things, your man is clearly a dick most landowners would be more tolerant. All land in Ireland is owned in one form or another so it's up to the land owner, farmers can be hit and miss coillte forestry, national parks and mountains are usually grand. Using online maps isn't a good idea you would have been better off heading out and pick a spot after a few hours that way you would know it's suitable.

Finally Ireland needs freedom to roam laws

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭sheesh

sounds like a bad experience. There not much you could do in a situation like that. he should not have threatened you with a shot gun. maybe he has had a bad experience with people before.

I would imagine that camping sites would be getting pretty empty soon as the schools go back so have a look around some of them can be quiet nice.

Have a look around places that are near beaches there are a couple of places that are near beaches here in kerry that people camp and seem to get away with it.

Also go over to the sligo board and ask for local info someone might help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Sorry to hear about your horrific experience OP. I have been camping in Ireland for 30 years and I have never ever had a problem. When I camped with my parents my dad would normally ask landowners and there was never an issue. I try to find a rural enough area where the chance of passers by is minimal. Sounds like you were a bit unlucky in your choice of spot.

Regarding his threat to bring back his shotgun, if you report that to the Gardai he could very well lose his firearm license, and rightfully so. A responsible gun owner doesn't use his/her firearm to threaten people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Streetwalker

+1 on reporting this guy. No way on earth should any firearm licence holder threaten another person. Hopefully you got his reg I defo wouldn't let that go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,741 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I'm a bit late to this party, but really, looking at the photos, how could anyone imagine that was not private land? That is not a dry-stone field-wall, its a bit of recent building, and the grass looks like someone's lawn! I wonder what they were using as a toilet? Waving a shotgun was ott, certainly, but really, if you are going to wild camp, look for somewhere a bit wild!

looksee wrote: »
    I'm a bit late to this party, but really, looking at the photos, how could anyone imagine that was not private land? That is not a dry-stone field-wall, its a bit of recent building, and the grass looks like someone's lawn! I wonder what they were using as a toilet? Waving a shotgun was ott, certainly, but really, if you are going to wild camp, look for somewhere a bit wild!

Of youre going to be late to the party then you have time to get your facts right.

The grass is short because cows were wandering and eating it. The stones are not a building, there was no building in site. The stones are an ancient wall.

As for wild camping, it was as wild as I could find within an hours drive that I could use equipment this big. Its hardly stuff you carry.

Ive got my Land Rover back now, so if I saw him again I would just ram him out the way if he threatened me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,373 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

The stones are an ancient wall.

Handy they had some cement lying around :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭draiochtanois

This post has been deleted.

Next time some clown is threatening you with being shot when its getting dark and you're in a relatively isolated spot, we shall see how you react.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭draiochtanois

I think its time you grew up. If you have nothing constructive to add may I suggest you go and troll elsewhere.

Oh and I moved to County Donegal just before Christmas. Much better up here, so many places to go!

I took a small drive out yesterday, what a beautiful place it is.

20160214_164227.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭squadro

Gerroff my land!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Of youre going to be late to the party then you have time to get your facts right.

The grass is short because cows were wandering and eating it. The stones are not a building, there was no building in site. The stones are an ancient wall.

As for wild camping, it was as wild as I could find within an hours drive that I could use equipment this big. Its hardly stuff you carry.

Ive got my Land Rover back now, so if I saw him again I would just ram him out the way if he threatened me.

I am also late to the party but this part stuck out.
    There were cattle on the land and you camped there? That's a fairly big no no in any part of Ireland.

Kovu wrote: »
    I am also late to the party but this part stuck out.
    There were cattle on the land and you camped there? That's a fairly big no no in any part of Ireland.

Yep, there were about 10 cows wandering about 50 acres of land. Im not scared of cows, they dont wield shotguns.

Dont all get too excited about it anyway, its only a bit of grass. I've come to accept that the majority if Ireland has been ruined for the people. I wont even get into a big debate about it, it seems that years of being oppressed has stolen the balls from the majority of the inhabitants of Ireland, nowadays you just accept you have no freedoms to do anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Yep, there were about 10 cows wandering about 50 acres of land. Im not scared of cows, they dont wield shotguns.

Dont all get too excited about it anyway, its only a bit of grass. I've come to accept that the majority if Ireland has been ruined for the people. I wont even get into a big debate about it, it seems that years of being oppressed has stolen the balls from the majority of the inhabitants of Ireland, nowadays you just accept you have no freedoms to do anything.

Yea but what if you were injured by one of them? No farmer wants strangers in the midst of his livestock, let alone camping in the field with them. It's also a fairly good sign that the land is privately owned!!

I (and many other farmers I'm sure) would have moved you off the land too. You don't camp in a field with livestock, simple as that.

Edited to add- If you ask permission first, most campers are welcome. It only takes a few mins and shows you're respectful and responsible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭dazed+confused

To me there is one factor that really makes it obvious that it's not wild ground.

Cows aren't wild, free living creatures that inhabit wild ground!

Even if it is common ground, it's not properly wild.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,373 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Nice attitude to have.

I'd imagine wherever you come from it's also illegal to camp on private land.

Although I'm sure you wouldn't mind a few caravans pulling up on your drive and staying for a night or two.

At the end of the day feel free to move on to another country that lets you do whatever you please you won't be missed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

looksee wrote: »

Just logged in to say the same thing, the place looks mint! Id be happy if my back garden looked like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,509 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Irrelevant, the land is clearly private. You don't camp in fields with livestock, not only could you get injured but you could easily injure them.

We are free to tell trespassers to get the **** off our land, thats what we fought for after all :)

Irrelevant, the land is clearly private. You don't camp in fields with livestock, not only could you get injured but you could easily injure them.

We are free to tell trespassers to get the **** off our land, thats what we fought for after all :)

Within the constraints of the law though! I don't think the threat of a shotgun is permitted, private land or not.

I also don't think you fought for anything personally, last I looked out my front window only a few miles down the road is Northern Ireland, a large part of the country not returned to the terrorists.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,509 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Within the constraints of the law though! I don't think the threat of a shotgun is permitted, private land or not.

I also don't think you fought for anything personally, last I looked out my front window only a few miles down the road is Northern Ireland, a large part of the country not returned to the terrorists.

Lol, no wonder you were told to **** off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Jesus, this thread escalated fast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,433 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Yes I can only imagine how the conversion with the farmer really went.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

I obviously don't post in this forum so correct me if I'm wrong but for me wild camping is something you do when you hike or cycle tour. When I cycled from London to Kerry I found no shortage of great hidden spots and me and my hubba hubba were a bother to no one.

Looking at your pics OP and that's not so much wild camping imo but moving in for a night. You may as well have brought a caravan.

Having said that, the dude was still a dick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

Lol, no wonder you were told to **** off.

Mod:

No more posts like this and less of the messing, please.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭sheesh

you realise that it puts a completely different colour on you original story originally you sounded naive and the farmer overly aggressive, now you sound like you feel entitled to camp there. The farmers reaction seems to been done out of frustration and disbelief.

I'm on the farmers side now

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement