Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Even if it doesnt appear to be private land, it probably is. A BAD EXPERIENCE.

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Bigus

Our own professional travelling people have land owners wound up to this level of aggressiveness , with probably good reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭didds

Within the constraints of the law though! I don't think the threat of a shotgun is permitted, private land or not.

I also don't think you fought for anything personally, last I looked out my front window only a few miles down the road is Northern Ireland, a large part of the country not returned to the terrorists.

Wow. True colors showing there, what is your point in posting here exactly? Whinging that a landowner wouldn't let you have your own way when you wanted to car camp on his land? Reading this thread, I've gone from thinking, that was a bit of an overreaction to feeling sorry the landowner didn't smack you. Your attitude and actions are precisely why we don't have a right to roam or wild camp here.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Kraft.l

Wish we had more of a right to roam, I'd love to camp on the beach.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭TireeTerror

mickdw wrote: »
    Yes I can only imagine how the conversion with the farmer really went.

It did actually go exactly as I described it. I have a very high tolerance when I have to.

It would have been a very different situation if I had not been there with my girlfriend, most likely I would have dragged him out of his bashed up paddy wagon and thrown him over that wall into the rocks below before he had a chance to even consider phoning his friends or perhaps grabbing the shotgun if it was in his vehicle.

I couldn't react like that with my girlfriend there though, I would have never heard the end of it and I couldn't take the chance to expose her to risk.

TBH the more hostile this thread becomes, the more inclined I am to go back there without her, with some of my own mates and see what he says then. maybe I will post up some new content, firstly the video where he comes over and then his reaction when he recognises me from before and then the look of horror on his ugly Irish face as he realises the outcome wont be quite the same as before.

Land owners.....its a bit of land at the edge of a rocky shore. Im buying a roof tent in the next couple of weeks, how about I drive right through the gap in that wall and bump onto the rocks, There is plenty of space to park right on the other side of the wall. He cant stop me being on the foreshore.

Maybe I can turn this nice flat bit of grass into the most wild camping experience you could imagine.

sheesh wrote: »
    you realise that it puts a completely different colour on you original story originally you sounded naive and the farmer overly aggressive, now you sound like you feel entitled to camp there. The farmers reaction seems to been done out of frustration and disbelief.

I'm on the farmers side now

Oh my, youre on the farmers side now. I dont think I will be able to sleep in my bed tonight worrying about which side a random internet user is on.

I was perfectly nice to this clown, he probably saw my politeness, and ability to speak English properly as a sign of weakness. He was probably also jealous because my girlfriend didn't look anything like the inbred munter of a wife he was probably going back to that night after spending hours toiling all day in a career that cant support itself without handouts from the state. His self-loathing existence was probably only temporarily improved by giving the freak a little joy at the thought of having some authority over someone.

In hindsight I was back home within 1 hour of meeting the halfwit, and besides this thread, I had forgotten all about it. For him, his miserable life will continue like Groundhog day, out there protecting his little bit of grass, as if it means something, in his clapped out peasant 4x4 scrounging off the tax payers who have chosen a career that can sustain itself. Then one day he will die and that will be it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,810 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Wow, I bet all those people who posted about you 'showing your true colours' earlier are feeling pretty smug right now

Wow, I bet all those people who posted about you 'showing your true colours' earlier are feeling pretty smug right now

If it makes them feel better about themselves then good on them. Personally I think it makes them a sad bunch of losers.

Now how about we either get this back on topic is even better, just close it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

Horrendous thread.
    While being threatened with a fire arm is not acceptable the ops subsequent comments lead me to believe there's more to this story than his side.
    If I saw someone camped on my property without permission I'd certainly be angry.
    It's not as simple as being nice or mean. If someone gets injured on your property you're liable whether you knew they were there or not. The chances are this farmers insurance didn't cover unannounced campers.
    From reading your own account he asked you to leave and when you refused he lost his temper.
    The OP has also as good as admitted he knew/or should have known it was private property.
    If I was in the farmers position I would have rang the guards after my request for you to leave was refused.
    As for insulting our nationality and independence it shows a lack of intelligence on your part.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

Oh my, youre on the farmers side now. I dont think I will be able to sleep in my bed tonight worrying about which side a random internet user is on.

I was perfectly nice to this clown, he probably saw my politeness, and ability to speak English properly as a sign of weakness. He was probably also jealous because my girlfriend didn't look anything like the inbred munter of a wife he was probably going back to that night after spending hours toiling all day in a career that cant support itself without handouts from the state. His self-loathing existence was probably only temporarily improved by giving the freak a little joy at the thought of having some authority over someone.

In hindsight I was back home within 1 hour of meeting the halfwit, and besides this thread, I had forgotten all about it. For him, his miserable life will continue like Groundhog day, out there protecting his little bit of grass, as if it means something, in his clapped out peasant 4x4 scrounging off the tax payers who have chosen a career that can sustain itself. Then one day he will die and that will be it.

Train-wrecking your own thread, and your own cause there.

Maybe if you'd spent less time on google or
    actually approached one of the landowners about stopping the night, prior to setting up camp on their land.

You might have had a civil conversation with them and gotten a reasonable answer like...sorry, but no, I've got cattle in there, or...not a problem, just don't worry the cattle.
    Instead you just cruised on in there, set up shop, cooked some dinner for yourself, had a bit of a gas with the locals. (one of whom FYI probably mentioned your presence to the farmer)

I would have run you out the gate too, I'm a regular camper and I come from a farming background, so believe me I do see both sides of the argument. You have no right to be there, so the onus is on you to seek permission prior to entry.
    Was it the farmers fault he only got wind of you being there just before sun-down ?
    Did you ask any of the locals who owned the land or for a phone number to ring and ask him ?

Name calling after the fact really does betray your initial sob story.

You are entirely responsible for your own bad experience on this occasion.

Your attitude towards the people that essentially feed you stinks, you don't deserve wilderness the way you are carrying on.

Wise up.:mad:

I think the responses people here are getting is more of a reflection on them than the places they visited.

Some people just have those faces which people dont like.

Ive got a beautiful and friendly face, people respond well to me and everywhere is great....

LMFAO BTW.....

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭jimd2

OP, you probably thought that you would get the nice, easy, cheap ride off your gf when the farmer came and spoiled your party just as you were about to get down to business.:D

It doesn't excuse his behaviour but you comments here subsequently are a bit bizarre tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭Neyite

I had a terrible experience yesterday. I went out camping after spending hours and hours on google and bing maps trying to find somewhere with a flat piece of grass that didn't look like it was a field.

Dude. It had a wall around it. And 10 cows in it. It was obviously a field.

I think that you knew full well it was private land but judging by those beautiful views, you chose to ignore it and hope for the best. The farmer knows bulls!hit too, in every sense of the word so probably lying to him pretending you thought it was public land took away any shred of goodwill he may have had initially.

He probably wanted to protect his cows against potentially getting injured on your camping equipment or choking on rubbish that might be lying around. (and considering you didn't recognise a field when you saw it, you are unlikely to know how to camp safely amongst curious livestock.) Farm safety is a big issue, and anything that happened during the night to either his cows or you and your stuff could have wiped out his farm insurance. They don't farm for the craic, this is their livelihood.

You could have easily gone to the nearest house and asked "excuse me, do you know who owns *that* field?" and sorted out something amicably before you stuck a peg in the ground. You could have asked any of the locals passing by who owned the land and likely even be able to get a mobile number off them for him. Your gamble backfired and you got moved on.

If cows that weigh a ton panicked and decided to stampede your tent or damage your camping equipment, you'd not be long in finding out who owns them, assuming they didn't kill you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Mango Joe

Report him - Who does he think he is threatening young couples with a gun?

- I don't think the filth in drug gangs around our Cities sink to that low.

I'd ring the local Garda Station and give a full description of this individual, the exact location and the threats made - At the very least the local gossip might get back to his wife, friends, family, local Parish Priest etc. - At least then people would know he is an utter c**t.

*PS* - Didn't realise the OP was gone postal since, have just read more of thread! But still, this guy shouldn't be threatening to shoot people......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

It did actually go exactly as I described it. I have a very high tolerance when I have to.

It would have been a very different situation if I had not been there with my girlfriend, most likely I would have dragged him out of his bashed up paddy wagon and thrown him over that wall into the rocks below before he had a chance to even consider phoning his friends or perhaps grabbing the shotgun if it was in his vehicle.

That's a particularly nasty aggressive temper you have in your imagination.
    I couldn't react like that with my girlfriend there though, I would have never heard the end of it and I couldn't take the chance to expose her to risk.
    The risk of her realising she's going out with somebody who will resort to insults followed by violence if he doesn't get his own way?
    TBH the more hostile this thread becomes, the more inclined I am to go back there without her, with some of my own mates and see what he says then. maybe I will post up some new content, firstly the video where he comes over and then his reaction when he recognises me from before and then the look of horror on his ugly Irish face as he realises the outcome wont be quite the same as before.
    Hostile?
    Honestly, are you reading back your own replies to this thread? You sound utterly delightful to deal with.
    Land owners.....its a bit of land at the edge of a rocky shore. Im buying a roof tent in the next couple of weeks, how about I drive right through the gap in that wall and bump onto the rocks, There is plenty of space to park right on the other side of the wall. He cant stop me being on the foreshore.

Maybe I can turn this nice flat bit of grass into the most wild camping experience you could imagine.
    More threats, to landowners property. This is why landowners are so protective of their property and livelyhood. So far there's threats of violence, intimidation and threats to destroy property. How you don't realise that you are the problem is astounding.

I live surrounded by farmland. I know my neighbours and landowners and there is no way in hell I would even take a shortcut through land I was not meant to be on. It's just not on. They don't come tramping through my garden and I shouldn't feel entitled to walk on their land.

Next time, go to a campsite.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,219 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Troll.
    Had to be.
    No same person would post some of the violence/fantasy the OP is coming out with.

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Troll.
    Had to be.
    No same person would post some of the violence/fantasy the OP is coming out with.

I cant believe its taken this long. I mean how ridiculous did I have to get before someone guessed! The thread was so boring, it needed livening up a bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

I cant believe its taken this long. I mean how ridiculous did I have to get before someone guessed! The thread was so boring, it needed livening up a bit.

Good job!. Now welcome to my ignore list.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

I couldn't react like that with my girlfriend there

You should have deflated her, then you could have shown how tough you are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭draiochtanois

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,101 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Finally Ireland needs freedom to roam laws

Can we start with your backyard?

This post has been deleted.

Do my posts convey that I really care how I'm appearing to random internet posters? I think not.

The original story is 100% accurate, I was nothing but polite and courteous to the farmer and I never refused to pack up either, I only asked if it was OK to stay and promised I would leave in the morning and would of course leave no trace. He was a complete gimp and that is all there is to it.

The posts afterwards, quite some time later, were simply for mild amusement and it was comical to see the so predictable posts coming thick and fast. What amazed me was how ridiculous it had to get before the penny dropped. Normally someone would post a wee popcorn GIF after a couple of replies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,833 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

You’re not a wild camper. You’re a car camper. The type of camping best suited to you is a camp site where you can rock up, take all your gadgets out and set up.

I’m very familiar with Streedagh, been surfing there since the early nineties. It couldn’t be more obvious that that spot is privately owned. There’s plenty of good campsites, but you need to hike a bit. You obviously wanted to camp beside your car.

If you’re in to wild camping you gotta;

- change your attitude

- Learn to read the land. If you really thought that was “wild” land you obviously can’t read the land.

- learn about livestock, steer clear of livestock and respect farms

- learn some backwood skills

- leave your precious Land Rover somewhere and learn to hike/bike/canoe/kayak somewhere off the beat and track.

Until then stick to sites.

You got shifted quick! The landowner blasted you out of there and you’re sore. Get over it and stop pretending you’d have turned in to a ninja if your girlfriend wasn’t there.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement