Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Classroom world map

Options
  • 18-08-2015 5:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭

I am investing in a good size map of the world for my classroom and I have the option of personalising it. Would anyone have any nice quotes or phrases that would suit my class and all future classes - something that might stay with them!!!

Would welcome any ideas, Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,180 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page." (Saint Augustine)

"Once a year, go someplace you’ve never been before." (Dalai Lama)

"Travel is the only thing you buy that makes you richer." (Anonymous)

"To travel is to discover that everyone is wrong about other countries." (Aldous Huxley)

Many moons ago when I started teaching, I used to get the first years to promise themselves they would do something particular or go to a particular place before they were forty. It's funny now to meet them in the street triumphantly telling me they did it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭solerina

there are some nice travel quotes on Pinterest, have a look there !!

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭monaghanmissus

“Traveling- it leaves you speechless, then turns you into a storyteller"- Ibn Battuta

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭gaiscioch

Oldstyle1 wrote: »
    I am investing in a good size map of the world for my classroom and I have the option of personalising it. Would anyone have any nice quotes or phrases that would suit my class and all future classes - something that might stay with them!!!

Would welcome any ideas, Thanks

Bíonn siúlach scéalach (A traveller has many tales)

Over near Korea on the map: "An té nach bhfuil láidir, ní mór dó a bheith glic." (He who is weak needs to be clever.)

Not quite what you're looking for but a "map" class which has always stayed with me has been a geography/international politics module years ago where the lecturer had maps from all over the world, and of all shapes, all of which had the relevant country in the centre. It certainly opened us to different perceptions of the world and our place in it. They might, at least, be reminders of different perceptions of the planet next to the standard London-produced and centred map on Irish school walls.

world_map_en.gif

wus_withpanels_800RGB.jpg

World+map+USA+centre.bmp

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭trihead

• Advertisement
Advertisement