Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PRTB Advice.

Options
  • 18-08-2015 5:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭

I see the PRTB have advised Students not to sign 12 Month leases , when they will only need accommodation for 9 months. Wonder what advice they have for Landlords, as to how they can let out their properties, for the 3 month period . After all, the PRTB are supposed to be IMPARTIAL !!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

I saw that in the Sindo - along with don't pay over the odds for rent. Typical of the useless Quango we're dealing with here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

That "advice" seems to have been on the go for a number of years, I found one article about it from 2012.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

That's because they don't want a bunch of work to do May when landlords raise disputes or students claim the landlord is not returning the deposit.

I thought it was the common enough to hold a place for the summer anyway because its so hard to get places. Especially if you are out of the country for the summer as looking for a place takes quite a while.

LLs have options like airbnb now. So could accept 9mths then take the highest offer come Sept. Student might not hold on to a place though. If the choose the 9mth. 12mth would be less hassle for the LL and might be preferred.

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭hytrogen

12months can work out if the students want to stay the following college term in the same place, only means they're paying over the summer break & gives the LL more security that they're serious about the place so I can't see why PRTB would advise this?

• Advertisement

I wonder if this advice is from a good many years ago when there wasn't the same shortage. But it just keeps getting repeated every autumn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

beauf wrote: »
    I thought it was the common enough to hold a place for the summer anyway because its so hard to get places. Especially if you are out of the country for the summer as looking for a place takes quite a while.

LLs have options like airbnb now. So could accept 9mths then take the highest offer come Sept. Student might not hold on to a place though. If the choose the 9mth. 12mth would be less hassle for the LL and might be preferred.

I have yet to see a student accommodation house go on Airbnb. They are too suburbian, small and just ****ty for a tourist. Plus there is the effort of constantly cleaning and letting people out. Its more convenient to get a tenant on a 12 month lease

The PRTB are so out of touch with reality, its disturbing. I dont think I have ever heard a landlord say a positive thing about them and I know several landlords with about hundred units between them. They need to be abolished or completely reformed.

It should be like the US, where you can evict a non-paying tenant within 30 days, as you go to the local court to do it. The police help you evict the tenant. Or like the US again, where in some states, if you have an anti-social tenant, you go to the local courthouse, file eviction notice and the police help them pack, as they have to vacate the premises within 24 hours. The PRTB literally are the slowest organisation, I have ever encountered.

newacc2015 wrote: »
    It should be like the US,

I'd also like to see a credit referencing system. Trash the apartment and not pay the rent? Let see how you get on later in life when you want a mortgage or credit card.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

I'd also like to see a credit referencing system. Trash the apartment and not pay the rent? Let see how you get on later in life when you want a mortgage or credit card.

I completely agree with this. But this is Ireland and most Credit Union didnt even report borrowers to the Irish Credit Bureau(the company that does credit ratings in Ireland) until very recently. A lot CUs, were used by people to get deposits for houses as the CUs didnt report the loans, so the banks didnt know

You cant even get cable tv in the US, without someone checking your credit. I think rental properties, should be reported to a credit rating agency. It would be beneficial for good tenants, as the potential landlord can see they always pay their rent on time. It will be benefit for the Landlord,as they will be more secure about insuring a tenant will pay their rent on time. Plus they can see if potential tenants have paid their rent previously

Most tenant/landlord disputes, regarding Landlords not getting their rent, would probably be prevent. If a landlord could potential list their previous rent, as defaulting on their rent. It would save the PRTB time and money on petty disputes.

I forgot to mention that it would be ideal for sorting out the few unreliable rent allowance tenants as well. A credit referencing system coupled with rent paid directly to the LL would go a long way to helping people on RA. Instead we get an unworkable 'fix' of adverts not allowed to say 'No RA' wasting everyones time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

hytrogen wrote: »
    12months can work out if the students want to stay the following college term in the same place, only means they're paying over the summer break & gives the LL more security that they're serious about the place so I can't see why PRTB would advise this?
    Their advice is that students should only sign a nine-month lease if they only want to take the place for nine months, and that seems good advice to me. I don't think it's particularly helpful to landlords if students sign a 12-month lease and then bugger off after nine months, defaulting on the remaining rent.

If landlords want to let for 12 months and students only want to rent for 9 months, obviously there isn't a meeting of minds, and there has to be some negotiation, and some movement, in order to arrive at a deal that both parties are happy to commit to. Maybe students will rent for 12 months if they are given a renewal option, or if there is a concession on rent over the summer. Or maybe landlords will let for 9 months if they get a slightly better monthly rental. Or whatever. The point is that both sides need to recognise that there is this issue between them, and they need to ensure they have the same expectations. Otherwise it'll be tears before bedtime.
    newacc2015 wrote: »
    I have yet to see a student accommodation house go on Airbnb. They are too suburbian, small and just ****ty for a tourist. Plus there is the effort of constantly cleaning and letting people out. Its more convenient to get a tenant on a 12 month lease

The PRTB are so out of touch with reality, its disturbing . . .
    I'm not sure that it's the PTRB that's out of touch with reality. If the accommodation that you are offering to let is not attractive to tourists, and you don't have people queuing up to take it on a long-term basis, then the market you're in is the student market. Sadly - I speak as a landlord - you don't have a God-given right to require tenants to sign up for whatever term you find "more convenient". You're providing a service here, and the service you provide needs to be geared to what the market wants. If you're in the student market, the student market has a preference for nine- or ten-month terms, for obvious reasons. The PTRB understands this. You're either going to have to give the tenants the term they want, or make the other conditions of the lease - principally, the rent - so attractive that they'll sign up for a longer term than they would otherwise go for.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭quietsailor

THe rent is usually for 10 months (Around UCC anyway) as students want to come to Cork earlier than the first day they start and usually hang around for a week or so after they leave.

A few that wanted to re-rent my house for the next academic year came to an arrangement where I kept the deposit as the booking deposit over summer which went back to being the security deposit on 1st Sept.

Advertisement