Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Schools

• 18-08-2015 5:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭

The institute of education
    I would like to know a few things about this school

I know people who will be attending next year and not to sound snobby but they are not the smartest like there mock results were not good.No even Bs
    So is it just a pay to get in system with the student not having to be the smartest?

Also,how does the system of the school work i have saw its very different to nlrmal schools?
    Is there anyone attending the school who think its a great school and a great investment or what?Taughts?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Mr Rhode Island Red

A few of my friends went to the Institute of Education from fifth year onwards. A few of them were full-blooded dossers, didn't give 2 damns about school but mammy and daddy packed them off anyways.

And from what I saw, moving to the Institute had zero effect on their attitude to school. They were getting p!ss-poor results in our local community school and when they moved to the Institute...they still got p!ss poor results. Perhaps only marginally better than what they would have achieved before.

Very expensive investment from parents which gave little return in most cases. Students from our local community school did just as good in their LC and got a far more wholesome education between sport and music and everything, and for a darn sight cheaper as well.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,240 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

It's not a school. They don't even call themselves a school. They make no secret that they are a business. They are in the business of training people to pass exams. Of course some people that suits, some it doesn't.

You pay your money and you're in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

As spurious says, the institute is a business. Unfortunately, some people seem to view it as a miracle working school where all you need to do is pay your money and you're given some magical secret to acing all your exams. That's not really the case. If you're not dedicated to studying and motivated to work hard, it's unlikely you'll do much better in the institute then you would in any other school.

The institute can get people good results but when you think about it, how many of the 8/9 A1 students (i.e. the ones that get mentioned in the papers) do you see coming from the institute? I cast an eye over the LC reports in the papers every year and I don't remember any of them being from the institute. Now, I know those students are a very, very small number but my point is that there are students getting extremely high results in regular public schools, and students getting very average results in grind schools like the institute.

To be honest, I've fairly certain that all of the people I know who attended the institute got better results than the first time round because they were repeating and chose to knuckle down themselves and not face the disappointment they had already faced the first time round. Personally I think they would have done as well anywhere and while the institute has some great study notes etc. to share, attendance is not necessary to achieve high results, nor particularly worth the extortionate cost!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Students who go to the institute and other similar places aren't any more special than students in regular schools. People who go there and get good results choose to work. It's that simple. They do publicise their good results, the 6As students, of course they do, but there are plenty who go there who get average or below average results, who as you said would have got the same results had they stayed in their original school.

The point about the 8A1, 9A1 exceptional students is a good one. They always come from regular schools, which just goes to prove that if a student wants to get on they will get on wherever they are. That lad in Castlebar who got the 9A1s this year taught himself Japanese from scratch this year as one of his subjects. He didn't need to pay €7k for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Midkemia

I did the revision course in the institute the business teacher was the best teacher I've ever seen and his notes brought me from a C2 in the mock to an A1, however the rest of the teachers were nothing special.

I wouldn't go there permanently, there's more to 6th year then the leaving and far too many people are burning themselves out with constant study and no work life balance at all, which actually has a negative impact on your leaving :P

• Advertisement
Advertisement