Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Poll: Would you go to a restaurant that required credit card to book a table?

Options
  • 18-08-2015 6:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭

Just thought I would get an idea of the general thought process around this...

Would you give your credit / debit card to secure a booking on a restaurant? 33 votes

Yes
    3% 1 vote
    No
    96% 32 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Taboola

Yes I have done in the past. Don't see a problem with it. They don't use it when I'm paying the bill and it's usually clearly stated that they have a cancellation policy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Melendez

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,013 ✭✭✭✭L1011

It depends on the restaurant. Somewhere with a significant waiting list, yes. A Milano / Carluccios / generic chain or local restaurant - no.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I know people in their 40's who have no CC or DC, do they just get refused? Probably rare enough but I imagine some would also just say they have none to see what you say, so what would you say?

-also many people would not give CC details over the phone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

L1011 wrote: »
    It depends on the restaurant. Somewhere with a significant waiting list, yes. A Milano / Carluccios / generic chain or local restaurant - no.

Yeah, this. You need card details to book in Chapter One & I'm ok with that. I won't be leaving my card details behind the counter unless it's somewhere I really want to eat and they have significant demand for their tables & are unlikely to get a walk in if I don't show.

I'm not in the habit of ever skipping out on a reservation but if, for some reason, I had to cancel a table I would hulk out if I got charged a cancellation fee.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,040 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

"No shows" are really common and cost restaurants a fortune.
    Imagine a table of 8 not showing in a 25 seater restaurant during the lead up to Christmas when you could fill the restaurant 5 times over.
    This has happened a friend of mine.

Unfortunately, I don't see any other way for restaurants to protect themselves other than the cc but most restaurants are very reluctant to do this for fear of offence.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭Deub

I wouldn't book if I had to give my card details if I was going with the OH. However I would understand for a booking of 8 people or more.

It is a feature where you can only loose customers. They won't book because you have it but more the opposite.
    You also loose customers if some bookings don't show up but the question is : with which option will you loose less customers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

It depends...

I don't like giving out my cc details over the phone in general, so I would not like it if I had to do it every time I booked a table. But for booking a large group event, I'd be ok with a deposit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭coolisin

I have done in the past.
    The manager of the restaurant rang me and explained the situation.
    It was a small restaurant, and had implemented the policy after a number of no shows had cost then sittings for the night, as the restaurant booked your table for the night. Not just a set time.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Deub wrote: »
    It is a feature where you can only loose customers. They won't book because you have it but more the opposite.
    Say there were 2 identical restaurants but one took deposits. Then if working to the same profits the one taking deposits can afford to sell the food cheaper as they are not having to factor in these losses. So in that way you can attract customers.

No shows at christmas parties used to infuriate me as in many cases the €50-60 goes to complete waste which could have been on the drinks tab or could have afforded a better venue. Some workplaces ask employees to pay the €50 and they get it back at the party, I thought this was a great idea -some went mad at the idea, pretty much admitting they couldn't care less about the knock on effect and would pull out without a second thought.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,392 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I've absolutely no problem with it tbh.
    Ive dinner booked this Tuesday at a restaurant here in sydney. I booked it 6 months ago, as that's the demand. I had to give a card details to secure it at the time, and they contacted me to confirm this week.

I actually had two places booked, card details given to both. I waited to see which menu I preferred and cancelled the other one booking. There was no issue to cancel >24 hours before.
    Both places clearly stated their T&Cs when booking.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

There are restaurants who sell tickets in order to book a table, look at what JP McMahon does with Anair in Galway, which I might add is one of the best restaurants I've ever eaten in. http://aniarrestaurant.ie/pages/ticket.html

Advertisement