Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Installing an SSD

Options
  • 18-08-2015 7:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭

I recently bought a Samsung SSD 80 EVO. However I'm not quite sure the best way to install it in my laptop.
    It says I have to clone my C drive onto the SSD using a sata cable, which I dont have. Is it possible to have a back up of my system on an external HDD and then put in the SSD into my laptop and install the backup from there? Or will the SSD even be recognised if it is blank?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Backing up your data to the external drive and doing a fresh install of Windows is hardly an option?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭DeSelby83

Backing up your data to the external drive and doing a fresh install of Windows is hardly an option?

I guess I could install the back up on the new SSD and then restore to factory settings?

Im just guessing at this though so I am open to any direction

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 39 PaulRyan17

A backup of your system? Like what data is so critical to you? If it is just videos and music then just throw it onto an external drive and do a fresh install of windows onto the SSD and transfer the data over then like what Digital Solitude has said.

PaulRyan17 wrote: »
    A backup of your system? Like what data is so critical to you? If it is just videos and music then just throw it onto an external drive and do a fresh install of windows onto the SSD and transfer the data over then like what Digital Solitude has said.

I know this will sound stupid but what happens when i put in the new ssd?
    Windows was pre installed on my laptop when i got it so I do not have a disc to install from.

Yeah you will need either the disc or an iso image on a usb stick. Theres a couple of tools you can run on your laptop to get the product key of your windows copy. So basically when you put in your SSD you will have to install windows onto it (or whatever operating system you are using).

Have you ever done a fresh install of windows before?Did you get a CD with your laptop?(normally they don't give them anymore which is a pain in the ass)

• Advertisement

PaulRyan17 wrote: »
    Yeah you will need either the disc or an iso image on a usb stick. Theres a couple of tools you can run on your laptop to get the product key of your windows copy. So basically when you put in your SSD you will have to install windows onto it (or whatever operating system you are using).

Have you ever done a fresh install of windows before?Did you get a CD with your laptop?(normally they don't give them anymore which is a pain in the ass)

I didnt get a CD with my laptop, I think I can get a copy of the new W10 upgrade to put on a usb and then hopefully install from that usb to the SSd once its installed

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

You should have bought the upgrade kit, not the standalone SSD.

samsung-830-notebook-kit.jpg

That little cable makes transferring things a walk in the park.

There are programs for extracting your product key from the BIOS, I don't know the name of any off the top of my head. Google for one.

When you get it, write the key down and do a fresh install of the exact version of your OS, and the key should work.

There are programs for extracting your product key from the BIOS, I don't know the name of any off the top of my head. Google for one.

When you get it, write the key down and do a fresh install of the exact version of your OS, and the key should work.

I think his problem is getting the ISO.

Belarc Advisor is a good tool for getting the key

You can get the isos from Microsoft.com? If not, the windowssoftwareswap subreddit ones should work either

• Advertisement
Advertisement