Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LC History Project for 2016

• 18-08-2015 7:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭

Hi guys, im looking to get a start on my project now before i go back to do 6th year, im doing an adult leaving cert course, im 26.
    I have some time to get a start on it, I am looking up some topics, and since i have been out of school since after the junior cert im finding it tough enough to get to know some history, but I would be ok with The US and wider world, dictatorship and democracy etc, moon landing an all, so im thinking of doing the project on a topic related to those, like Apollo13 or the bombing of Pearl Harbour!
    Any advice from recent leaving certs, thanks :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

Apollo13 or Pearl Harbour just scream boring because your examiner will undoubtedly have the same projects in front of them as yours.

You could take a different angle on these events to narrow it down to a specific element, but the best topics I can suggest would be local ones. Every year the chief examiner is crying out for more local history projects, so if you hope to get close to 100% on the RSR, then local history is your best bet.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,240 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Like Mighty Mandarin says, local is the way to go - all the better if you have a personal interest in a topic. Talk to your tutors on the course.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Seanmul89

Hey, I know what you mean, there's probably to much in them topics to narrow it down, I was thinking of doing something like "Hitler Youth" maybe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

I did a adult leaving cert too this year age 24. U agree with them above to do a less mainstream topic

I did my project on "Jesse owns time at the 1936 Olympic games. I had a personal interest as it was considered to be the nazi games.

You say you struggle with history? How I studied was to record down all topics we covered in class and literally sat down and watched documentaries on each topic and looked up articles. It got me an A.

Hi, that's good, did you get an A in Higher level? I'm sort of ok with history around the US and wider world, Vietnam war etc, for the project I'm told I am better of doing Local History!? Where could I get some topics or ideas of local maybe I can come across an interesting one?

• Advertisement

Seanmul89 wrote: »
    Hi, that's good, did you get an A in Higher level? I'm sort of ok with history around the US and wider world, Vietnam war etc, for the project I'm told I am better of doing Local History!? Where could I get some topics or ideas of local maybe I can come across an interesting one?

No I did ordinary. I wasn't basing points.

My teacher said to students to go to their local library and the school library.

I chose my topic as I had an interest in it and I already know alot about Olympic games and nazi Germany. I'd say you should choose something that won't be boring for you.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,240 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Where in the country are you? Or area if in Dublin.

What about the "tet offensive" in the Vietnam war? Seeing as you mentioned vietnam

My teacher said to narrow it down to one small part of a bigger history. As in don't cover a man's life. Cover a certain period of significance in that life.

spurious wrote:

I'm just outside Dundalk in Louth.

MarkY91 wrote:
    small
    MarkY91 wrote:
    What about the "tet offensive" in the Vietnam war? Seeing as you mentioned vietnam

Possibly? You reckon that's narrowed down enough or is it still to much? We didn't go through this yet really at the school I'm in it's just I'm getting a we head start on it before I go back next month.

• Advertisement

The Tet Offensive is taught as part of the Vietnam essays iirc, so it might be best to choose a topic which won't clash with the main course.

If you're from Louth, then there's probably plenty of stories about the Troubles or incidents with the IRA, which took place in your local area if you're interested.

The Tet Offensive is taught as part of the Vietnam essays iirc, so it might be best to choose a topic which won't clash with the main course.

If you're from Louth, then there's probably plenty of stories about the Troubles or incidents with the IRA, which took place in your local area if you're interested.

That's right, it was in my course this year. I'm not long awake lol.

spurious wrote: »
    I'm just outside Dundalk in Louth.

Dundalk and its local railway lines.

Rise and fall of the Dundalk cinemas and dance halls of the twentieth century.

Carrolls cigarettes.

Lord Limerick and his design of Dundalk.

Carlingford.

Those are just a few off the top of my head. The County Library should be a big help. I know schools that have used them for local projects with younger children and they have been great.

I'm still looking to see which topic I'm most interested in, I like the Nazi history and Vietnam.
    I am thinking of doing the the Nazi Euthanasia programme or The Final Solution? Anyone think these would be ok or to broad?

I'm still looking to see which topic I'm most interested in, I like the Nazi history and Vietnam.
    I am thinking of doing the the Nazi Euthanasia programme or The Final Solution? Anyone think these would be ok or to broad?

I've heard of these topics plenty of times. Nazi history is quite popular (scarily enough) so if you want to be original, you'll want to pick something quite obscure or else a subject with an obscure angle. Vietnam is somewhat similar, but you'll want to pick something other than the big events like My Lai, Tet Offensive etc.

Examiners are snowed under with Nazis, Kennedys, Civil Rights folk, Vietnam - best plan is to do something different so that your essay stands out. The Chief Examiner year after year asks for local (Irish) projects.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭lucylu

Good for you OP

With the 1916 Rising Celebrations next year, inevitably there will be a clatter of new Books Re the Rising.. and more detail.
    Maybe you could do your project on how the aftermath it affected your area.

Could be worth looking into. I would still like to do something out of German, Nazi history as I have the interest there.. Once iv mentioned people think it could be ok, it's to broad etc, I'm not quite sure now what to do. Maybe if some of you can leave a few ideas/ topics around my interest, I know it's my own idea and project but someone might know one that will stand out :)

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭maconof

Did mine a good few years ago now, but was always told to avoid generally used topics like the Holocaust/Final Solution or topics on very popular historical characters like Michael Collins or DeValera.

I did mine on 'Operation Market Garden & its significance in WW2'. Could be useful to really specify a topic rather have a broad approach. I think examiners are grateful when faced with a fresh topic that might not have been covered in projects too often :)

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭aquse

Just do something that you like and something unique.

I did a project on the head of the USSR Space Program, Sergey Korolev.

My brother did Siege of Jerusalem, and the crusade.

Another classmate did an essay on tank tactics and warfare in WW2.

Another one did Rasputin, his death etc.

Yeah...

• Advertisement

I'm looking more into the local history also, I'm from Louth and there's one about "people from Louth who supported the Easter rising" and some incidents happened just in the small village that I'm from! Maybe I could source and write about this!

I'm looking more into the local history also, I'm from Louth and there's one about "people from Louth who supported the Easter rising" and some incidents happened just in the small village that I'm from! Maybe I could source and write about this!

Incidents from your small village would be a fantastic topic to do, if you can link them together. If you have relatives who were around at the time, you could do an interview with them or talk with a local historian about the events. Things like this is what examiners love.

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭The_Mac

Did mine on How the Citizens of Leningrad Survived Day-to-Day Life During the Siege of Leningrad. Was very interesting altogether so it was. Plenty of resources for it too.

Yes mightymandarin, I have it sorted now, I'm doing a topic around on What happened around Louth in 1916, and smaller villages like mine where an incident happened, I have a person local that's sort of a historian and the local library in Dundalk which has lots of history archives etc :) hopefully this is the one!

Advertisement