Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Setting up an old iPhone for granny

• 18-08-2015 9:43pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,848 ✭✭✭

Well granny wants to be up to date so the old HTC is being ditch for an old iPhone 4 or 4s
    I'm going to set it up but don't want the grand kids to be able to get in app buys or any buys by accident or not
    Should I set it up with my iTunes account as I did previously before family sharing with my missus phone, or with a new iTunes account and use the family share to give her access to my bought apps

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

Probably a new account so she can use her own iMessage / photos etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Mick Murdock

Just set iTunes to request a password for any purchases. She'll likely forget it and never need to buy anything anyway.

Sharing accounts, iMessage and photos can be a bit hazardous in my experience!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,848 ✭✭✭soundsham

Just set iTunes to request a password for any purchases. She'll likely forget it and never need to buy anything anyway.

Sharing accounts, iMessage and photos can be a bit hazardous in my experience!

Her own iTunes account so maybe set up with a voucher instead of credit card
    But connect her to family sharing so as to benefit from my apps ??

Myself and the missus have 2 phones and an iPad on one account
    iMessage is no problem all remain separate but contacts sync
    She gets my apps
    Photos do sync which is fine but don't want granny to get all our crap

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭Type 17

Family sharing on the iTunes account will give granny the benefit of your apps - turn off automatic downloads though, to avoid her getting all the kids games, and other irrelevant stuff - but she can still download anything that you've bought.

Definitely give her a new AppleID for her own iCloud account, to prevent oversharing photos, and so you don't end up looking at each other's contacts and calendar contents etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,848 ✭✭✭soundsham

Thanks she's up and running now
    New iCloud and iTunes account
    Will link it to family sharing in the future so
    Thanks
    If only she could get broadband she'd be on an iPad too she says

• Advertisement
Advertisement