Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electives 2015/2016

Options
  • 18-08-2015 10:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭

2nd year computer science student here, looking for some decent electives for the next two semesters. I got badly stung last year and ended up picking an elective that took up a lot of time and wasn't worth the hardship.

Looking for something interesting, not too difficult, and not too many essays to do.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭aleatorio

Have you heard about the robotics one? Have a few friends doing that
    COMP20170

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭Aspiring

aleatorio wrote: »
    Have you heard about the robotics one? Have a few friends doing that
    COMP20170

I'll take a look thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭chatterboxxx95

I'm in science and did intro to cognitive science last year in semester 2 (COMP20090) and really enjoyed it, its a computer science elective i think actually :P

• Registered Users Posts: 13 rwsz365

COMP20200 Unix Programming is really worth doing, not an easy module but it is very useful and is interesting, particularly if you like programming.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭robman60

Microeconomics in semester 1 or macroeconomics in semester 2 would be two easy choices. There's a mid term exam worth 20% in both and the midterm and final exams are both MCQs with no negative marking. They're both pretty decent but the main reason I'd recommend them is that they're easy A grades so if you want to boost your GPA for Erasmus or something you shouldn't have to worry. If you're looking for a more challenging, but far more interesting economics module, economics and society would be a good choice.

I did a ffrench language module which I liked and did well in but I wouldn't recommend them unless you're passionate about languages.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 JK2015

Food diet and health, comp20090 and health accross the lifespan/women and mens health are all quite basic but interesting and useful all the same :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Nave

The Robotics elective is really enjoyable. Did it last year and it was an easy A!
    Intro to Computer Forensics is interesting and it's not hard. If you attend the lectures you should get an A!

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Route1

Any really easy/basic electives preferably no exams people could recommend, need that GPA booster.
    Waa considering sport law or tourism.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

Route1 wrote: »
    Any really easy/basic electives preferably no exams people could recommend, need that GPA booster.
    Waa considering sport law or tourism.

The School of Social Justice has some good ones (with no exams).

http://www.ucd.ie/socialjustice/undergraduate/semester1horizonselectives/

http://www.ucd.ie/socialjustice/undergraduate/semester2horizonselectives/

I did 'Inequality in Irish Society' (SSJ10060) last year and found it enjoyable and fairly easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Slime Princess

robman60 wrote: »
    Microeconomics in semester 1 or macroeconomics in semester 2 would be two easy choices. There's a mid term exam worth 20% in both and the midterm and final exams are both MCQs with no negative marking. They're both pretty decent but the main reason I'd recommend them is that they're easy A grades so if you want to boost your GPA for Erasmus or something you shouldn't have to worry. If you're looking for a more challenging, but far more interesting economics module, economics and society would be a good choice.

I did a ffrench language module which I liked and did well in but I wouldn't recommend them unless you're passionate about languages.

What's the math like in those econ modules?

• Advertisement

What's the math like in those econ modules?

Not that difficult. If you understand the concepts you shouldn't have much difficulty in applying the basic maths. The fact that the exams are MCQs makes everything a lot easier.

There is no maths at all in economics and society but the final exam has written answers so you need to know a little more detail than for the others. It is a lot more interesting though and an excellent lecturer.

I think all those modules are an easy A- minimum (70%) but microeconomics is the easiest if you're not averse to a small bit of maths. Macro maths is slightly more difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Jtem846

Has anyone done STAT10140 Research methods for science or STAT10050 Practical statistics? Im going to be doing science and I think a statistics elective would be useful but I don't want it to be too hard as I don't want it to effect my GPA.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭nerd95

Jtem846 wrote: »
    Has anyone done STAT10140 Research methods for science or STAT10050 Practical statistics? Im going to be doing science and I think a statistics elective would be useful but I don't want it to be too hard as I don't want it to effect my GPA.

I am in 2nd year science now and one of my friends did the research methods for science last year and said it was very easy- it was essentially just the stats section on the leaving cert maths course! The even began with the basics like the definition of a mean, mode etc! She said there was only one new section that she wasn't familiar with. Not sure about the practical statistics- don't personally know anyone who has done that module.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭DiarmAFC

Practical stats is very easy, there are no lectures which is handy and you can watch videos online and do homework questions online. If your going into first year your GPA won't be counted anyway, it's a very passable module imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

I did STAT10050,2 years ago, I had no previous stats background (mature student, I didnt do any stats for the leaving cert), and it was fine. It started from the basics aswell, like mean,median etc. It seemed like a lot of material was covered but the exam wasnt that difficult at all, ended up with the A.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 leavingschool1

Aspiring wrote: »
    2nd year computer science student here, looking for some decent electives for the next two semesters. I got badly stung last year and ended up picking an elective that took up a lot of time and wasn't worth the hardship.

Looking for something interesting, not too difficult, and not too many essays to do.

Just wondering what electives you would recommend for year 1? very curious.

Just wondering what electives you would recommend for year 1? very curious.

Specify what you're looking for. Do you want something easy to boost your GPA or something or do you have a particular interest? If you give some info on your strengths it might help.

If you're not completely averse to a bit of maths some of the economics modules are quite easy.

robman60 wrote: »
    Specify what you're looking for. Do you want something easy to boost your GPA or something or do you have a particular interest? If you give some info on your strengths it might help.

If you're not completely averse to a bit of maths some of the economics modules are quite easy.

Calculus for Science is another one, if you did HL maths you'll find it grand.

Calculus for Science is another one, if you did HL maths you'll find it grand.

Note: This is very different to Calculus for Math and Physical Sciences

From person experience in taking this as an elective, dont do it unless you realllyyyy love calculus :pac:

aleatorio wrote: »
    Note: This is very different to Calculus for Math and Physical Sciences

From person experience in taking this as an elective, dont do it unless you realllyyyy love calculus :pac:

Also another one I wouldn't advise taking is 'Mathematical Analysis', regretted that one big time. Picking electives can really be like Russian roulette, so it's probably good idea if people post modules they wouldn't advise as well as ones they advise :pac:

• Advertisement

Also another one I wouldn't advise taking is 'Mathematical Analysis', regretted that one big time. Picking electives can really be like Russian roulette, so it's probably good idea if people post modules they wouldn't advise as well as ones they advise :pac:

I sat in on a few lectures for that.. I can imagine your pain, a lot of friends struggled through it :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭AlfaJack

Anyone have recommendations for a veterinary student? My registration time is tomorrow at 10:15 but I don't really know much about electives... like could I pick french? As I had a keen interest in that in secondary school? Or would that have too high a workload? Any help would be greatly appreciated :D

AlfaJack wrote: »
    Anyone have recommendations for a veterinary student? My registration time is tomorrow at 10:15 but I don't really know much about electives... like could I pick french? As I had a keen interest in that in secondary school? Or would that have too high a workload? Any help would be greatly appreciated :D

Yes you could pick french. I actually chose French too last year but during my second week of lectures I discovered that it clashed with my labs so I had to change it. However, based on the two french small groups that I could attend it was very similar to LC french just that it was a smaller class size (about 12 people). The exam consists of an oral, an aural and a written paper. They even have different levels of french classes- i.e some cover different material and do things at a different pace. I cannot comment on the workload because I only went to two classes but my friend took up Spanish and the workload was very reasonable.
    If you go to "UCD module spotlight" you will see some of the language classes on offer. You can even pick up a new language if you want. I should probably mention that the electives listed on UCD module spotlight are not the only electives available at all. When you start registration there will be a section for selecting electives and you can search specific areas such as science, arts etc and then click on a subject e.g English depending on what you would like. Then it will show you all the English electives you can choose etc. If there are any modules within your degree that you like you can choose them as an elective either (called in-programme electives). You just select the search button without selecting anything else beforehand and the relevant modules will display for you.
    One thing I will say; if you select an elective that is outside your programme area (outside veterinary) it will say "provisional" beside it once you select it. This means that you are not guaranteed the elective as it is random allocation and you will find out if you got the elective after a couple of days (they will send an email).

nerd95 wrote: »
    Yes you could pick french. I actually chose French too last year but during my second week of lectures I discovered that it clashed with my labs so I had to change it. However, based on the two french small groups that I could attend it was very similar to LC french just that it was a smaller class size (about 12 people). The exam consists of an oral, an aural and a written paper. They even have different levels of french classes- i.e some cover different material and do things at a different pace. I cannot comment on the workload because I only went to two classes but my friend took up Spanish and the workload was very reasonable.
    If you go to "UCD module spotlight" you will see some of the language classes on offer. You can even pick up a new language if you want. I should probably mention that the electives listed on UCD module spotlight are not the only electives available at all. When you start registration there will be a section for selecting electives and you can search specific areas such as science, arts etc and then click on a subject e.g English depending on what you would like. Then it will show you all the English electives you can choose etc. If there are any modules within your degree that you like you can choose them as an elective either (called in-programme electives). You just select the search button without selecting anything else beforehand and the relevant modules will display for you.
    One thing I will say; if you select an elective that is outside your programme area (outside veterinary) it will say "provisional" beside it once you select it. This means that you are not guaranteed the elective as it is random allocation and you will find out if you got the elective after a couple of days (they will send an email).

thanks so much! I'm definitely going to try and get French but do I have to pick two or just one? I just hope it won't clash with any of my classes :P

thanks so much! I'm definitely going to try and get French but do I have to pick two or just one? I just hope it won't clash with any of my classes :P

You choose two electives- generally speaking one for semester 1 and another for semester 2 but you can do them both in the same semester if you want it's just that I wouldn't recommend it as you will then have 7 modules one semester and 5 the next semester! Last year I did astronomy in semester 1 and English (literary genre) in semester 2. Both electives can be completely different btw!

Chances are it won't clash with your timetable. For the language classes they have multiple offerings meaning that they have different time slots. For instance, my french classes were timetabled for Wednesdays but someone else I know doing the same french elective had it timetabled for Tuesday- as far as I know you will have the option to select your time slot for the languages (and for some tutorials for other subjects.) The only reason I had to change was because all of the other slots available for this french module were full by the second week of lectures so I had to change my elective completely.

You choose two electives- generally speaking one for semester 1 and another for semester 2 but you can do them both in the same semester if you want it's just that I wouldn't recommend it as you will then have 7 modules one semester and 5 the next semester! Last year I did astronomy in semester 1 and English (literary genre) in semester 2. Both electives can be completely different btw!

Chances are it won't clash with your timetable. For the language classes they have multiple offerings meaning that they have different time slots. For instance, my french classes were timetabled for Wednesdays but someone else I know doing the same french elective had it timetabled for Tuesday- as far as I know you will have the option to select your time slot for the languages (and for some tutorials for other subjects.) The only reason I had to change was because all of the other slots available for this french module were full by the second week of lectures so I had to change my elective completely.

ah I see, thank you :) Just wondering what was astronomy like? :D

ah I see, thank you :) Just wondering what was astronomy like? :D

I had never done physics for the LC so I was a little worried about it at first but it was actually quite interesting and there wasn't too much physics involved. You do a lot on constellations and theories about the universe. I particularly liked the section on 'life elsewhere in the universe' and stuff like that. The lecturer used liquid nitrogen in class, set off rockets in the lecture theatre and lots of other cool things! The exam was pretty straight forward and you have a midterm too but it is done online (all Multiple choice questions for the midterm)

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Doctorhopeful

Forgot that today was the day we book our times for registration, so even though i registered at 9am (only an hour after it opened) the time i got is for 8am on friday. Kicking myself now, i'm worried all the good electives will be gone by then :(

Forgot that today was the day we book our times for registration, so even though i registered at 9am (only an hour after it opened) the time i got is for 8am on friday. Kicking myself now, i'm worried all the good electives will be gone by then :(

Don't worry- all the good electives won't be gone! Some are done by random allocation so you will still have equal opportunities! One of my friends forgot about booking a start time completely so one was allocated a time by the university instead. My start time was 8am on the 18th of August and he only got his for like 4pm on the 25th and still got all his choices! So don't worry about it- you'll be fine!

• Advertisement

I had never done physics for the LC so I was a little worried about it at first but it was actually quite interesting and there wasn't too much physics involved. You do a lot on constellations and theories about the universe. I particularly liked the section on 'life elsewhere in the universe' and stuff like that. The lecturer used liquid nitrogen in class, set off rockets in the lecture theatre and lots of other cool things! The exam was pretty straight forward and you have a midterm too but it is done online (all Multiple choice questions for the midterm)

That's sounds so cool! I'd love to do something really different like that :D

Advertisement