Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electives 2015/2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭AlfaJack

nerd95 wrote: »
    Yes you could pick french. I actually chose French too last year but during my second week of lectures I discovered that it clashed with my labs so I had to change it. However, based on the two french small groups that I could attend it was very similar to LC french just that it was a smaller class size (about 12 people). The exam consists of an oral, an aural and a written paper. They even have different levels of french classes- i.e some cover different material and do things at a different pace. I cannot comment on the workload because I only went to two classes but my friend took up Spanish and the workload was very reasonable.
    If you go to "UCD module spotlight" you will see some of the language classes on offer. You can even pick up a new language if you want. I should probably mention that the electives listed on UCD module spotlight are not the only electives available at all. When you start registration there will be a section for selecting electives and you can search specific areas such as science, arts etc and then click on a subject e.g English depending on what you would like. Then it will show you all the English electives you can choose etc. If there are any modules within your degree that you like you can choose them as an elective either (called in-programme electives). You just select the search button without selecting anything else beforehand and the relevant modules will display for you.
    One thing I will say; if you select an elective that is outside your programme area (outside veterinary) it will say "provisional" beside it once you select it. This means that you are not guaranteed the elective as it is random allocation and you will find out if you got the elective after a couple of days (they will send an email).

Also, I was wondering which french course I should go for as I did french for the leaving cert but I'm not sure if I am good enough for French Gen Purp 4 or if I should do French Gen Purp 2 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭robman60

AlfaJack wrote: »
    Anyone have recommendations for a veterinary student? My registration time is tomorrow at 10:15 but I don't really know much about electives... like could I pick french? As I had a keen interest in that in secondary school? Or would that have too high a workload? Any help would be greatly appreciated :D

I did French General Purpose 4 last year. It's good if you want to keep up French. It's not easy to get an A grade (97.5℅+ for the A+ grade) but I enjoyed it overall. I'd recommend having Leaving Cert B1 or better if you want to do well in it.

It did help in keeping my French at a decent level and it's handy that the exam takes place before the actual end of term exams so it can free up your exam timetable a bit. Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭nerd95

Also, I was wondering which french course I should go for as I did french for the leaving cert but I'm not sure if I am good enough for French Gen Purp 4 or if I should do French Gen Purp 2 :)

I just looked it up for you now- in the 'am I eligible to take this module' tab for French Gen Purp 2 it says "Students with Junior Certificate or Leaving Certificate (or equivalent) in this language are not eligible to take this module". Therefore, your only option is Gen Purp 4 if you want to do the French (which is the one I opted for last year too). For Gen Purp 4 the requirements are "Leaving Certificate (Ordinary Level: A1-B2, Higher C3-D3) or approved equivalents to CEF (Common European Framework) B1". Hope that gives you a better idea. Have you decided what other elective you will take?

• Registered Users Posts: 40 emerjane08

Can you choose your tutorial and practical times to avoid clashing?

emerjane08 wrote: »
    Can you choose your tutorial and practical times to avoid clashing?

Only in some cases- I was able to choose my tutorial times for both of my electives last year but the labs and tutorials for modules within my degree were automatically registered. If you are being automatically registered to your tutorials or practicals they will be registered in such a way to avoid any clashing. Once you have completed module registration you will be able to see your timetable but it will only include your lectures. Tutorials and practicals are usually added in about a week or two and they will fit nicely into your timetable :)

• Advertisement

robman60 wrote: »
    I did French General Purpose 4 last year. It's good if you want to keep up French. It's not easy to get an A grade (97.5℅+ for the A+ grade) but I enjoyed it overall. I'd recommend having Leaving Cert B1 or better if you want to do well in it.

It did help in keeping my French at a decent level and it's handy that the exam takes place before the actual end of term exams so it can free up your exam timetable a bit. Good luck.

I actually got an A1 in the LC but I've always wanted to continue learning it so I thought this would be the perfect opportunity:) thank you for the info! :)

I just looked it up for you now- in the 'am I eligible to take this module' tab for French Gen Purp 2 it says "Students with Junior Certificate or Leaving Certificate (or equivalent) in this language are not eligible to take this module". Therefore, your only option is Gen Purp 4 if you want to do the French (which is the one I opted for last year too). For Gen Purp 4 the requirements are "Leaving Certificate (Ordinary Level: A1-B2, Higher C3-D3) or approved equivalents to CEF (Common European Framework) B1". Hope that gives you a better idea. Have you decided what other elective you will take?

That's perfect thank you! And no I'm not sure yet do you know where there would be a full list of electives you can take? :)

That's perfect thank you! And no I'm not sure yet do you know where there would be a full list of electives you can take? :)

No prob :) You could try ucd course search and go to the 2015/2016 modules tab instead of the 2015/2016 programme tab. Then there will be a category box and a subject box. That's how I found my English elective last semester so you could try that. The levels on the side tend to correspond to year- i.e level 1 will give you 1st year modules etc

No prob :) You could try ucd course search and go to the 2015/2016 modules tab instead of the 2015/2016 programme tab. Then there will be a category box and a subject box. That's how I found my English elective last semester so you could try that. The levels on the side tend to correspond to year- i.e level 1 will give you 1st year modules etc

Awesome I'll have a look :) Also, do you do one elective in the first semester and then the second in the second semester? Also would it be silly to do french and then also the beginners german? Like would doing two languages be too much?
    If not I might have a look at astronomy ;)
    Or maybe I'll tdo an elective to do with veterinary (which is the course I'm doing) so many options xD

-edit- I think I've decided my second elective will be Practical Animal Husbandry :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭Blue giant

Specify what you're looking for. Do you want something easy to boost your GPA or something or do you have a particular interest? If you give some info on your strengths it might help.

If you're not completely averse to a bit of maths some of the economics modules are quite easy.

Which economics modules would you recommend? I didn't do economics for the LC but always had an interest in it. I'll be studying mostly maths subjects so I thought they might be a good fit.

• Advertisement

Blue giant wrote: »
    Which economics modules would you recommend? I didn't do economics for the LC but always had an interest in it. I'll be studying mostly maths subjects so I thought they might be a good fit.

Microeconomics is probably the easiest, most of the concepts are so intuitive that nothing is really too difficult to understand. I also hadn't done it for LC and it didn't really matter a whole lot.

Economics and society was interesting I thought but the exam was slightly harder as it wasn't just a complete mcq exam. No maths in it and all theory so that mightn't be your thing if you're doing maths.

So I think microeconomics would suit you, given what you've said.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭Blue giant

Microeconomics is probably the easiest, most of the concepts are so intuitive that nothing is really too difficult to understand. I also hadn't done it for LC and it didn't really matter a whole lot.

Economics and society was interesting I thought but the exam was slightly harder as it wasn't just a complete mcq exam. No maths in it and all theory so that mightn't be your thing if you're doing maths.

So I think microeconomics would suit you, given what you've said.

Thanks. I'll take a look at it.

Awesome I'll have a look :) Also, do you do one elective in the first semester and then the second in the second semester? Also would it be silly to do french and then also the beginners german? Like would doing two languages be too much?
    If not I might have a look at astronomy ;)
    Or maybe I'll tdo an elective to do with veterinary (which is the course I'm doing) so many options xD

-edit- I think I've decided my second elective will be Practical Animal Husbandry :D

Yes there are always soooo many options!! Just a quick question- is the Practical animal husbandry a core module for first year veterinary students? If so, you will be registering to it as a core not an elective. You'll know what your cores are if you check on course search.

Also, to answer your question- no you don't have to do one elective in semester 1 and the other in semester 2. You can do both in the same semester if you wish- just means you'll have more workload and more exams in one semester but as I say, it is up to yourself what you would prefer. Secondly, it wouldn't be silly to do beginners German too. If you like languages I'd say go for it. There are some similarities between the two languages but German is a little tougher than french in terms of grammar (I'm a native German speaker and I even get confused at times haha!!) but since it is only a beginners class you'll be fine should you decide to go for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 14 radepoju

is it possible to have more than 60 credits?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

radepoju wrote: »

Yes I've been told you can, it will cost per extra module though.

radepoju wrote: »

Yup, I know a few people who did it last year. I think they had to pay about €450 to do it though and honestly I don't really know why you'd do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Thar_Cian

Also, to answer your question- no you don't have to do one elective in semester 1 and the other in semester 2. You can do both in the same semester if you wish- just means you'll have more workload and more exams in one semester but as I say, it is up to yourself what you would prefer. Secondly, it wouldn't be silly to do beginners German too. If you like languages I'd say go for it. There are some similarities between the two languages but German is a little tougher than french in terms of grammar (I'm a native German speaker and I even get confused at times haha!!) but since it is only a beginners class you'll be fine should you decide to go for it!
    Speaking of the German modules, do you know if there's much difference between the two modules for beginners (GER10100 and GER10110) and the German General Purposes modules (LANG10100 and LANG10130)?

Thar_Cian wrote: »
    Speaking of the German modules, do you know if there's much difference between the two modules for beginners (GER10100 and GER10110) and the German General Purposes modules (LANG10100 and LANG10130)?

To be honest, I haven't the slightest clue what the difference is- I looked it up just now and they seem very similar. I mean, yes there are some slight differences between them but nothing major that I can see- for instance, in terms of assessment, the final written exam for the two modules for beginners (GER10100 and GER10110) is worth 60% (and is two hours long) where as the final written exam for the Gen Purp modules is only 40% (and one hour long). Personally, I prefer the sound of the General Purposes modules (LANG10100 and LANG10130). I guess the description sounds more appealing and clearer but that is just my personal opinion. Also, the General purposes ones seem to place slightly more emphasis on oral communication and listening which is always good and I think the breakdown of assessment looks better too- 10% for attendance alone!! Are you considering taking German? I'd recommend it (but I am probably being biased since I am from a German background so you don't have to listen to me haha!)

• Registered Users Posts: 3 bear1288

I am an incoming engineering student and plan on taking the "Design & Materials" option. I am then considering taking "Computer Science for engineers" as an elective. Would anyone recommend this module?

Also, I am looking for a second elective that doesn't have a huge workload and is relatively easy to do well in. Any suggestions would be appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Thar_Cian

Are you considering taking German? I'd recommend it (but I am probably being biased since I am from a German background so you don't have to listen to me haha!)
    I am very fond of languages (so much so that I am somewhat questioning my course choice) and learned German for a year in secondary school, so I wouldn't mind taking it as my electives.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

The ones with the GER codes are for absolute beginners intending to take it to degree level, and for that reason it's a lot more intensive than the LANG ones. It might look similar but the levels you'd end up with are quite largely different. That said, I know from friends who do German as their degree subjects that the teacher of the GER modules is amazing as a German teacher, and from dealing with her she's absolutely lovely and always ready to help. It would definitely require more work than the LANG modules, but you'll learn a lot more. I'd recommend them more. :)

I took the LANG ones because when I wanted to do the GER ones there was a clash, and they're quite...boring. Nothing is explained "gramatically" speaking and that's very important in German, and it's all a bit like school and people don't really talk - it's odd, but definitely an easy A though.

bear1288 wrote: »
    I am an incoming engineering student and plan on taking the "Design & Materials" option. I am then considering taking "Computer Science for engineers" as an elective. Would anyone recommend this module?

Also, I am looking for a second elective that doesn't have a huge workload and is relatively easy to do well in. Any suggestions would be appreciated

I did "Computer Science for engineers" as an elective in 1st year. I had no programming experience entering it and thought I was struggling through it. The lectures were kind of boring, where you learn most of it is in the lab sessions. I ended up doing better than I expected in it, in the end. If your willing to put the work in, then it is a good module, it teaches the very basics of programming and useful in a lot of areas. It isnt an "easy A" module, unless you have any experience with programming or a good interest in it. I know some people that attended it breezed through and they also had no programming experience, so an interest goes a long way.

gline wrote: »
    I did "Computer Science for engineers" as an elective in 1st year. I had no programming experience entering it and thought I was struggling through it. The lectures were kind of boring, where you learn most of it is in the lab sessions. I ended up doing better than I expected in it, in the end. If your willing to put the work in, then it is a good module, it teaches the very basics of programming and useful in a lot of areas. It isnt an "easy A" module, unless you have any experience with programming or a good interest in it. I know some people that attended it breezed through and they also had no programming experience, so an interest goes a long way.

Thanks for your input. I don't have any programming experience myself so i think i might reconsider! Are there any electives you would recommend?

Thanks for your input. I don't have any programming experience myself so i think i might reconsider! Are there any electives you would recommend?

It depends on what you want: Either modules that really interest you, or modules to boost GPA?? Because there can be a big difference in the 2 types.

I have done only in programme electives (im in physics with astronomy), so I've done stats and programming electives so far, as I had an interest in stats and thought the programming would be useful. But I did have to do a resit for one elective... that was a disaster...that was for probability theory (2nd year module). So you do have to be careful what you pick.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 anonyy

Doing law with French law & struggling to choose electives! I love Irish so am pretty set on doing Teanga na Gaeilge I (IR10040), but am struggling with choosing a second! Initially I thought French bc I'm doing French law and I thought doing it would be beneficial but are the French lectures I'll be getting as part of my course sufficient ...like would doing the extra French just be repetitive and a waste?
    I was also considering psychology or something along the lines of social justice?
    Advice would be much appreciated :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Dair76

Can I ask how the registration process works, folks? When we log on at our booked time, do we have to choose all our modules then, or can we do it over a number of visits? And if you choose one elective say, but change your mind before the deadline, can you change it?

Thanks in advance!

gline wrote: »
    It depends on what you want: Either modules that really interest you, or modules to boost GPA?? Because there can be a big difference in the 2 types.

I have done only in programme electives (im in physics with astronomy), so I've done stats and programming electives so far, as I had an interest in stats and thought the programming would be useful. But I did have to do a resit for one elective... that was a disaster...that was for probability theory (2nd year module). So you do have to be careful what you pick.

I think I'll try choose one that I have an interest in and then I'll try pick a second one to boost my GPA! Could anyone tell me what modules are known for good grades?

I think I'll try choose one that I have an interest in and then I'll try pick a second one to boost my GPA!

Thats a good idea. Thats what I'm going to try this year ;)

Dair76 wrote: »
    Can I ask how the registration process works, folks? When we log on at our booked time, do we have to choose all our modules then, or can we do it over a number of visits? And if you choose one elective say, but change your mind before the deadline, can you change it?

Thanks in advance!

You can do it over a number of visits before the deadline, you can also change your elective before the deadline.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Fiona G

Does your first year GPA have any real significance?

Advertisement