Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electives 2015/2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

Fiona G wrote: »
    Does your first year GPA have any real significance?

Not really. At least in the sciences (4 year programme). As long as you dont fail a lot of modules it wont affect your progression and your degree is based on 3rd and 4th year results.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Fiona G

gline wrote:
    Not really. At least in the sciences (4 year programme). As long as you dont fail a lot of modules it wont affect your progression and your degree is based on 3rd and 4th year results.

Yeah I'm doing science so that's a relief. Thanks for clarifying!

• Registered Users Posts: 19 anonyy

Has sisweb crashed for anyone else??

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭elleelle19

Yep Sisweb is down :(

Just as I was about to start my reg.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 DT229

Hi, first year Radiography student here. Just a quick question, when I was looking at electives yesterday I noticed that some modules only go on for one semester, while others carry on for both. Since the same credits go for all of them, does this mean that the modules that go on for the whole year are easier than those that are only one semester long? Sorry for the convoluted question haha

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭AlfaJack

My reg time was 10:15 but I ca't find where to register? or is it still down?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭cathalio11

I was due to start at 10:15 as well. Still telling me that registration is unavailable.

cathalio11 wrote: »
    I was due to start at 10:15 as well. Still telling me that registration is unavailable.

The start registration page is working again and my start time is now 1:30pm

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭The_N4sir

Just logged on to sisweb and saw my start time has been put back by 3 hours:(

Mine has also been put back 3 hours. Probably the case with most people.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Dair76

cathalio11 wrote: »
    Mine has also been put back 3 hours. Probably the case with most people.

Yup - it's affecting everyone, so no-one will miss out because of the downtime.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 anonyy

Struggling to choose between psychology & inequality in Irish society.... any advice ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭robman60

anonyy wrote: »
    Struggling to choose between psychology & inequality in Irish society.... any advice ?

Have no experience with either but I imagine psychology would be far more engaging and less depressing!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Scuid Mhór

anonyy wrote: »

I did Introduction To Psychology in first year, it's pretty interesting in parts but reminded me a lot of LC Biology in the sense that most of it was rote learning. A very easy module though, you won't struggle in it if that's what you're worried about.

I was looking at the french elective and it says in the requirements: "Leaving Certificate (Ordinary Level: A1-B2, Higher C3-D3)" Does that mean I'm not eligible because I got an A1 in higher french?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭robman60

AlfaJack wrote: »
    I was looking at the french elective and it says in the requirements: "Leaving Certificate (Ordinary Level: A1-B2, Higher C3-D3)" Does that mean I'm not eligible because I got an A1 in higher french?

No that just means a suggestion on the minimum level you should have. I did general purpose 4 last year with a Leaving Cert A1! Honestly if you got a D in Leaving Cert Higher level you'd really struggle in the module I think.

robman60 wrote: »
    No that just means a suggestion on the minimum level you should have. I did general purpose 4 last year with a Leaving Cert A1! Honestly if you got a D in Leaving Cert Higher level you'd really struggle in the module I think.

okay thank you I'm relieved now I was worried there for a sec :P I'm super excited now I've actually got my time table :P
    Just one more question, it says the status of my french elective is provisional, does this mean I might not get it and when will I know if I have? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 leonkennedy09

Hey guys, does anyone know if the astronomy and space science elective is good? Also is it difficult?

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭nerd95

AlfaJack wrote: »
    okay thank you I'm relieved now I was worried there for a sec :P I'm super excited now I've actually got my time table :P
    Just one more question, it says the status of my french elective is provisional, does this mean I might not get it and when will I know if I have? :)

There is a very very very slight possibility that you may not get it but chances are you will so I wouldn't worry about it at all. In fact, everyone I know who chose a language last year got it! They say provisional for any electives outside your programme! You'll probably find out next week if you got it but I'd say it is definite that you did!

nerd95 wrote: »
    There is a very very very slight possibility that you may not get it but chances are you will so I wouldn't worry about it at all. In fact, everyone I know who chose a language last year got it! They say provisional for any electives outside your programme! You'll probably find out next week if you got it but I'd say it is definite that you did!

Thanks so much! :D

• Advertisement

Hey guys, does anyone know if the astronomy and space science elective is good? Also is it difficult?

I did that elective last year and I really enjoyed it! The lectures were a lot of fun and I found it quite interesting. Our lecturer even used liquid nitrogen in the lecture theatre and set off a couple of rockets too which was cool! I didn't do physics at all in secondary school so I was a bit anxious that I would struggle at it but there were only a few equations and formulas in it which were very manageable (the module does not require any previous knowledge of physics btw). We covered topics such as the death of stars, black holes, dark matter, the big bang, fate of the universe, constellations, solar flares, possibility of life elsewhere in the universe and then the different theories of the universe etc. There were some slightly boring sections but overall I found it interesting. There are two lectures a week and a tutorial. In the tutorial we just went over the info from the lectures and talked about astronomy based topics. Sometimes we had assignments to do in the tutorials but we were allowed to use our notes and talk to the people at our table so it was very informal. There is a multiple choice midterm exam but it is done online and the lecturer gave us sample exams so everyone was well prepared! (In fact, one of the sample exams was practically identical to the actual midterm so a lot of students got over 90% in it!). The final exam was worth quite a bit but was very manageable. There is a multiple choice section and then some questions based on the info from the lectures- typically you would write about a paragraph or half a page for each question but there is choice on the paper so if you don't like a particular section you can avoid it!

Regarding your question "is it difficult"- I'd say it would depend on the student. There is some maths and physics involved but not too much- it is mainly theory based which suited me quite well. I found one or two sections slightly challenging but still managed to get an A+ in the module! The tutors and lecturers are really helpful and explain everything clearly with the use of visual examples- e.g using rockets and laser beams in class etc.

When changing the time of a course, I saw a calendar but is there any way of getting that calendar up without changing the time of a module?

The Google Calendar is far from fully updated, but the Sisweb calendar had it all; I just don't know how to access it.

EDIT: Was staring me in the face :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 leonkennedy09

nerd95 wrote: »
    I did that elective last year and I really enjoyed it! The lectures were a lot of fun and I found it quite interesting. Our lecturer even used liquid nitrogen in the lecture theatre and set off a couple of rockets too which was cool! I didn't do physics at all in secondary school so I was a bit anxious that I would struggle at it but there were only a few equations and formulas in it which were very manageable (the module does not require any previous knowledge of physics btw). We covered topics such as the death of stars, black holes, dark matter, the big bang, fate of the universe, constellations, solar flares, possibility of life elsewhere in the universe and then the different theories of the universe etc. There were some slightly boring sections but overall I found it interesting. There are two lectures a week and a tutorial. In the tutorial we just went over the info from the lectures and talked about astronomy based topics. Sometimes we had assignments to do in the tutorials but we were allowed to use our notes and talk to the people at our table so it was very informal. There is a multiple choice midterm exam but it is done online and the lecturer gave us sample exams so everyone was well prepared! (In fact, one of the sample exams was practically identical to the actual midterm so a lot of students got over 90% in it!). The final exam was worth quite a bit but was very manageable. There is a multiple choice section and then some questions based on the info from the lectures- typically you would write about a paragraph or half a page for each question but there is choice on the paper so if you don't like a particular section you can avoid it!

Regarding your question "is it difficult"- I'd say it would depend on the student. There is some maths and physics involved but not too much- it is mainly theory based which suited me quite well. I found one or two sections slightly challenging but still managed to get an A+ in the module! The tutors and lecturers are really helpful and explain everything clearly with the use of visual examples- e.g using rockets and laser beams in class etc.

Wow what a helpful answer! I choose my elective in half an hour so thanks for the insight!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 conall122

anyone know what Quanta, Particles & Relativity is like?

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Thar_Cian

Is anyone aware of how approachable the ACM modules are? ACM10060 has no requirements for taking the module, but I'm guessing it would be recommended to take ACM10080 in the first semester.

I realise this isn't strictly related to electives, but since we're discussing modules here, I figured I'd ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭Blue giant

Relating to the question above does anyone know if ACM10070 is in semester one or two? When I look it up in the science guide it says semester 2 but when I search for it in the UCD course search it says semester 1 :o:confused:

Blue giant wrote: »
    Relating to the question above does anyone know if ACM10070 is in semester one or two? When I look it up in the science guide it says semester 2 but when I search for it in the UCD course search it says semester 1 :o:confused:

It is definitely semester 1 because I am registered to it this year and it is on my semester 1 timetable! It is a core for one of my 2nd year subjects and I didn't do it last year hence I am doing it this year!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭WatchWolf

I'm not really getting this. My course (in stage one - this means essentially means year one, right?) requires fifty programme credits and twenty elective ones. As far as I can tell, the programme modules available only accumulate to thirty credits.

What am I getting wrong here?

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Thar_Cian

Hmm. I think I might have to opt for in-programme electives to keep degree paths open while taking modules that interest me. I would like to explore a contrasting subject, but I'm not so sure I can accommodate it.
    WatchWolf wrote: »
    I'm not really getting this. My course (in stage one - this means essentially means year one, right?) requires fifty programme credits and twenty elective ones. As far as I can tell, the programme modules available only accumulate to thirty credits.

What am I getting wrong here?
    What course is it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭WatchWolf

Thar_Cian wrote: »

What course is it?

English with Drama.

Advertisement