Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electives 2015/2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Thar_Cian

My start time was delayed earlier today, so I thought that would be it. I checked my email account again to find that UCD sent me another email half an hour ago telling me that I can't start until tomorrow. :rolleyes:
    WatchWolf wrote: »
    English with Drama.
    From the looks of this, you need to take other modules from different subjects.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 chigenrgn

Any1 no what electives are offered for children and general nursing 1st yr ?

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭WatchWolf

Thar_Cian wrote: »
    My start time was delayed earlier today, so I thought that would be it. I checked my email account again to find that UCD sent me another email half an hour ago telling me that I can't start until tomorrow. :rolleyes:

From the looks of this, you need to take other modules from different subjects.

Huh, okay. I assumed that was covered in the ten "elective credits", and thought there was then a ten credit surplus that wasn't being accounted for. Thanks a lot!

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭The_N4sir

It's ridiculous how many electives you can't choose as they clash with your timetable. Damn you engineering!

I'm struggling with the same problem. Strangely, I can register them in slots that are already filled on my timetable. I'm not sure why, since I can hardly attend two modules at the same time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

conall122 wrote: »
    anyone know what Quanta, Particles & Relativity is like?

I did this last year as an elective. I found it difficult, but a lot didnt. It is fully problem based. The lectures are just going through problems and discussing some concepts. The maths isnt difficult at all, I just found some of the problems hard to grasp. If you are doing physycs, a lot of this module is covered in "frontiers of physics", the Quanta module just builds on it more.

At this point, I'm thinking of taking Quanta, Particles and Relativity or French General Purposes 4, but I get the impression that the latter could be very intensive and demanding. I would like to pick up German, though my timetable doesn't seem to allow it. Are there modules usually recommended as electives in Stage 1?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Dair76

DiarmAFC wrote: »
    Practical stats is very easy, there are no lectures which is handy and you can watch videos online and do homework questions online. If your going into first year your GPA won't be counted anyway, it's a very passable module imo.
    gline wrote: »
    I did STAT10050,2 years ago, I had no previous stats background (mature student, I didnt do any stats for the leaving cert), and it was fine. It started from the basics aswell, like mean,median etc. It seemed like a lot of material was covered but the exam wasnt that difficult at all, ended up with the A.

Can I ask you guys who've done STAT10050, where would this type of math be used? That is, what are its applications?

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Fiachb7

I can't decide between Music, culture and society or sports marketing. Anyone have any insight into either of these?

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Doctorhopeful

If you miss out on an elective due to random selection what do you do? Do you get offered an alternative or do you just have to pick from the scraps of what's left over? Already 327 have applied for 230 of the intro to psychology module :O

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭nerd95

If you miss out on an elective due to random selection what do you do? Do you get offered an alternative or do you just have to pick from the scraps of what's left over? Already 327 have applied for 230 of the intro to psychology module :O

I am pretty sure that you would just have to go find another elective yourself. They don't offer you an alternative one as far as I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Maldesu

Psychology modules are always in high demand particularly the first year ones. Many students attempt to switch from the general arts degree into full time psychology and having all the 1st year modules looks better for the candidate.

You don't get offered alternatives so its a good idea to take a look to see what else is on offer. What subjects are you doing and what kind of module are you looking for, eg, something the looks good on a transcript; GPA boost etc

WatchWolf wrote: »
    I'm not really getting this. My course (in stage one - this means essentially means year one, right?) requires fifty programme credits and twenty elective ones. As far as I can tell, the programme modules available only accumulate to thirty credits.

What am I getting wrong here?

Stage 1 is year 1.
    The reason you are only seeing 30 credits is that in Year 1, English and Drama do not have enough modules to fill the 50 credits. Second and Third year will fix that though.
    In the mean time you have 30 credits outstanding. 10 of those credits can be used anywhere in UCD, but the other 20 are to be used in the school of Arts.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Fiona G

Does it make any sense to be taking the Foundations of Physics module and the Fields, Waves and Light module both in semester 1? Fields,Waves,Light is a Level 2 module which I assume means it contains a lot more advanced content than I'd be studying in the foundation module.

Fiona G wrote: »
    Does it make any sense to be taking the Foundations of Physics module and the Fields, Waves and Light module both in semester 1? Fields,Waves,Light is a Level 2 module which I assume means it contains a lot more advanced content than I'd be studying in the foundation module.

You might not be able to take if unless you meet the requirements. You can read them here. They also recommend that you take Frontiers of Physics before hand. Additionally, the level 2 module has a lecture on Friday, which might be a disadvantage if you plan on Thursday night sessions.

Maldesu wrote:
    You might not be able to take if unless you meet the requirements.

Maldesu wrote:
    . They also recommend that you take Frontiers of Physics before hand. Additionally, the level 2 module has a lecture on Friday, which might be a disadvantage if you plan on Thursday night sessions.

I do meet the requirements for it, yeah. Strange that it's an option for semester one of first year? Would you recommend switching to a different module and taking it next year instead?

Fiona G wrote: »
    I do meet the requirements for it, yeah. Strange that it's an option for semester one of first year? Would you recommend switching to a different module and taking it next year instead?

Its not that odd. Just because you are in year 1, doesn't mean you can't do level 2 modules. I did when I started except in arts. Level 2 and up usually mean that there is an expected knowledge required, awareness of the topic or additional workload involved.

Re: Foundations. It's a conditional core module. You don't have to do it, BUT

Students who did not achieve a HC3 or better in Leaving Certificate Physics and who want to remain eligible for Neuroscience, Physiology or Biology and Mathematics Education or any Physics subject must take PHYC10070 in Stage 1 or Stage 2.

Kind of depends on that really.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Doctorhopeful

nerd95 wrote:
    I am pretty sure that you would just have to go find another elective yourself. They don't offer you an alternative one as far as I know.
    thanks, hopefully i get it because i don't see anything else i want tbh
    Maldesu wrote:
    Psychology modules are always in high demand particularly the first year ones. Many students attempt to switch from the general arts degree into full time psychology and having all the 1st year modules looks better for the candidate.

You don't get offered alternatives so its a good idea to take a look to see what else is on offer. What subjects are you doing and what kind of module are you looking for, eg, something the looks good on a transcript; GPA boost etc
    i'm doing premed which is mostly science modules, i just can't really find anything else i like that will fit into my timetable. I hope i get it because i imagine the number of available electives will be far lower too :(

thanks, hopefully i get it because i don't see anything else i want tbh

i'm doing premed which is mostly science modules, i just can't really find anything else i like that will fit into my timetable. I hope i get it because i imagine the number of available electives will be far lower too :(

What about the food/nutrition stuff? Some level 2 modules could be an option. Some are restricted but are not necessarily harder than Level 1

I still haven't chosen an elective for the second semester. Modern physics was my favourite part of the Leaving Cert course, so Quanta, Particles and Relativity is my prime candidate at the moment. How troublesome is it to change modules when the semester starts?

• Advertisement

Thar_Cian wrote: »
    I still haven't chosen an elective for the second semester. Modern physics was my favourite part of the Leaving Cert course, so Quanta, Particles and Relativity is my prime candidate at the moment. How troublesome is it to change modules when the semester starts?

You usually have a 2 week period to finalise your choices. Module selection will also open up around semester 2 for those who want to change something then. It's very easy to change and you use the on-line system, but if the module is over subscribed it goes to random selection again.

Maldesu wrote:
    Its not that odd. Just because you are in year 1, doesn't mean you can't do level 2 modules. I did when I started except in arts. Level 2 and up usually mean that there is an expected knowledge required, awareness of the topic or additional workload involved.

Yeah I think I'll stick with it. I have a decent recollection of the LC physics course, hopefully it'll be enough.
    Maldesu wrote:
    Re: Foundations. It's a conditional core module. You don't have to do it, BUT
    Students who did not achieve a HC3 or better in Leaving Certificate Physics and who want to remain eligible for Neuroscience, Physiology or Biology and Mathematics Education or any Physics subject must take PHYC10070 in Stage 1 or Stage 2.

I read in the science guide thing that it's a recommended module for all those considering further studies in physics regardless of LC results so I think I'll keep that on too. At least I'll have an easy enough module to balance out the level 2 one. Plus it would be nice to refresh my memory on the basics I guess. Thanks for all your input :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭FITZA

My daughter applied for Social Science with the specific intention of studying Information and Social Computing. When she went online to register to her Subject/Stream, she clicked on Information and Social Computing to find that only one module of a mandatory two was available to her. One of the modules was full and the other two conflicted with her core schedule but she didn't have the option to change the times of her core schedule. Due to the problems with sisweb, her Start Time was moved from 8.00am to 4.45pm and therefore she couldn't contact anyone for help due to the Student Desk being closed. Does anyone know if she can change a time of a mandatory core subject to allow her select the second module of her subject/stream?

FITZA wrote: »
    My daughter applied for Social Science with the specific intention of studying Information and Social Computing. When she went online to register to her Subject/Stream, she clicked on Information and Social Computing to find that only one module of a mandatory two was available to her. One of the modules was full and the other two conflicted with her core schedule but she didn't have the option to change the times of her core schedule. Due to the problems with sisweb, her Start Time was moved from 8.00am to 4.45pm and therefore she couldn't contact anyone for help due to the Student Desk being closed. Does anyone know if she can change a time of a mandatory core subject to allow her select the second module of her subject/stream?

You can not change the lecture times, but tell her to check if the clash is related to one of her seminars/tutorials which can be changed. Keep checking back too as some people will drop things right up till the first month of classes.

Thanks Maldesu....the problem is that she needs to do two modules in Information and Social Computing to continue to stage 2, she has registered for one module but of the other three modules left, one is full, and the other two show schedule conflict (with core subjects) so not allowing her register. She needs two to progress on this pathway in Social Science.

Thanks Maldesu....the problem is that she needs to do two modules in Information and Social Computing to continue to stage 2, she has registered for one module but of the other three modules left, one is full, and the other two show schedule conflict (with core subjects) so not allowing her register. She needs two to progress on this pathway in Social Science.

Yeah, I know about the progression ruse, but you can't do anything about core modules. If she wanted the social computing she should have gone with the Arts General than Social Science as it gives better flexibility. Did she check to see if her clash is the lecture times or a seminar?

It won't let her see what it clashes with....just that it is a schedule conflict. I'm hoping she's doing something wrong and it will be fixed tomorrow when she talks to them. Thanks for your help Maldesu.

It won't let her see what it clashes with....just that it is a schedule conflict. I'm hoping she's doing something wrong and it will be fixed tomorrow when she talks to them. Thanks for your help Maldesu.

It should. Is there not a view calendar button on the right of the screen? If she looks at that it will show where there are two items at the same time. The red conflict X usually tells you the info when you click it. What two modules are clashing?

Thanks for that Maldesu...she checked the red x and Information Society Papyrus conflicts with two seminars that run alternating weeks, Foundations of Sociology and Introduction to Sociology.The other, Digital Judgement, clashes with a lecture on Foundations of Sociology.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Dair76

I'll be calling the programme office on Tuesday, but in the meantime can anyone shed some light on this? On my Credit Statement it says "During the course of their programme, all undergraduate students are required to complete: No more than 10 credits at Level 0"

However, I have to do three introductory modules (which are naturally level 0). Does this mean that I'll only get credits for two of the modules?

Advertisement