Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Planting daisy seeds

Options
  • 18-08-2015 10:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭

i am collecting some daisy seeds at the moment- when should i plant them?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Are you talking about ordinary lawn daisies? Just do what comes naturally, they produce seeds, they drop seeds, new plants grow. Just scatter them into a tray of soil or compost and leave them outside to do their own thing. It will probably be quite slow, just leave them to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭tv3tg4

big daisy type flowers - i don't know their exact name.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭alcea

Are they Shasta Daisies? If so it is recommended that you start them indoors in Spring (by almanac.com), if you are planting them directly into the ground it may delay flowering.

Oh those are one of my favourite wild flowers - ox-eye daisies they are called, we used call them moon pennies or moon daisies when I was a child. The treatment is much the same as I suggested above, just scatter them on some compost and keep it moist, they will sprout fairly quickly but will take a season to flower. The are easy!

Shasta daisies are very close relatives of ox-eye daisies, a kind of up-market version I think :D I would not like to state definitively whether they were one or the other.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭alcea

Either way they would look fabulous in a flower bed. I am just starting to plan my flower beds, I think this is another one I will be including. Getting great ideas from this forum.

Advertisement