Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slow Download Speed-Fast Upload speed

Options
  • 18-08-2015 11:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭

I hope this is the right place, my broadband provider is UPC with their 240mb package with the Horizon box. I understand that, because I am wireless, I'm never actually going to get that speed. Anyway here's a set of results I got from a speedtest I just performed, this is pretty much par for the course no matter what time of day you do a test at.

Last Result:
    Download Speed: 3451 kbps (431.4 KB/sec transfer rate)
    Upload Speed: 14215 kbps (1776.9 KB/sec transfer rate)
    Latency: 16 ms
    Jitter: 7 ms

The upload speed is pretty good, but my download speed isn't great at all. I've tried changing the wireless channel but there's been no improvement. I've considered that maybe the problem is something regarding my broadband but there are two other laptops active in my house (all of them bought around the same time as mine, all are Windows 8) and they seem to be averaging 40-50mbps. Anyone have any ideas what could be wrong with my laptop? I had been getting higher speeds before we got the Horizon box but since then I can't seem to get above 7mbps, it's become a serious frustration and even playing low quality videos is a real struggle at the moment, any ideas or recommendations of things I could try doing would be great.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Combination of Horizon(shocking) and a weaker wireless chip in your laptop. You can buy a new WLAN card for €20-40.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

ED E wrote: »
    Combination of Horizon(shocking) and a weaker wireless chip in your laptop. You can buy a new WLAN card for €20-40.

Being less than technologically proficient, I'm always a bit worried about buying something only for it not to work. Obviously it's tough to say without actually seeing my laptop but would the chances of it being the WLAN card be high? Would a new one be easy to install/apply?

Advertisement