Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Castlecomer

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29 ladeeda

aye for another 13 days or so, YOu hear what good schools there are? They are ok, while they have probably tightened up a bit in the last few years, bullying and fights were a massive problem. Despite what the addiction councilor says drugs and violence are pretty relevant with at least 5 people I went to school with dead, a few are locked up. I will say theere hasn't been a stabbing in a few years to my recollection which is good as they were oddly common for a town of comers size.

TLDR: Comer to me is rougher than it should be for a town of it's size, a Lot of the people who caused trouble when I was growing up are either dead, in jail or have a family so calmed down. Comer has some good points though, I will say if they are into soccer Deen Celtic is a fantastic club with probably the nicest facilities in Kilkenny if not the south east. There is also rock climbing and kayaking not too far away

Thanks Raze-them-all. Naturally as a parent I'm worried about bullying and fights etc. My child has a friend in Ireland who told her not to bother coming to school here because of her very English accent...oh dear!! (I have considered home schooling)

Football and the good facilities for it like you mention and equestrian, rock climbing and kayaking, walks etc all great for us so that's definitely a positive!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

ladeeda wrote: »
    Thanks Raze-them-all. Naturally as a parent I'm worried about bullying and fights etc. My child has a friend in Ireland who told her not to bother coming to school here because of her very English accent...oh dear!! (I have considered home schooling)

I think Ireland has moved on a bit to be fair.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

I think Ireland has moved on a bit to be fair.

Good few English accents in my daughters National school, never been an issue there to my knowledge. Also Polish, Lithuanian and Chinese with no issue.

Good few English accents in my daughters National school, never been an issue there to my knowledge. Also Polish, Lithuanian and Chinese with no issue.

Oh I know, I grew up partly in Dublin and had lots of friends with different nationalities, even some being very popular due to it and their exotic looks and cool accents. You do worry though as kids can be pretty cruel anywhere you go if someone is new and has an accent (my daughter was told that especially a posh English accent). On the other hand when we came to England we were teased mercilessly for our Dublin accent even though it's very multicultural....seems to be an Irish/English thing?

But I'm sure that wouldn't last even if it were the case..

About the home schooling - not considered it because of potential bullying due to accents btw, I have always wanted to do it if circumstances permitted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

ladeeda wrote: »
    Oh I know, I grew up partly in Dublin and had lots of friends with different nationalities, even some being very popular due to it and their exotic looks and cool accents. You do worry though as kids can be pretty cruel anywhere you go if someone is new and has an accent (my daughter was told that especially a posh English accent). On the other hand when we came to England we were teased mercilessly for our Dublin accent even though it's very multicultural....seems to be an Irish/English thing?

But I'm sure that wouldn't last even if it were the case..
    It might still exists in a few schools but at least if you rent for an initial period if the schools you start with is problematic you can easily move to a better school.

I feel I should point out something about Castlecomer that no one else has mentioned, Castlecomer was a coalmining town and the pit closures as in the UK meant it suffered badly from post industrial decline and so it has compared badly to its surrounding agrarian towns ever since.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,414 ✭✭✭✭road_high

I think if I was you I'd try look at Kilkenny city. Top place to live, not like a big city but definitely not like a small town either. Very good road, rail and bus links to Dublin especially. if you could afford there, I would.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭Comerman

Comer is a kip. Source? Lived in the ****hole for 18 odd years. Despite what the addiction councilor says drugs and violence are pretty relevant
    Comer is a town like any other in this country and has it's faults and problems with a few druggies etc. and if you're looking for it you'll find it BUT the good that Comer has to offer far out weighs the bad. Pubs and ordinary decent people there couldn't be more welcoming. Source? Born here 49 years ago and still here :) P.S. I haven't seen a fight in Comer in donkeys years, maybe you hang out with the wrong kind raze

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

Comerman wrote: »
    Comer is a town like any other in this country and has it's faults and problems with a few druggies etc. and if you're looking for it you'll find it BUT the good that Comer has to offer far out weighs the bad. Pubs and ordinary decent people there couldn't be more welcoming. Source? Born here 49 years ago and still here :) P.S. I haven't seen a fight in Comer in donkeys years, maybe you hang out with the wrong kind raze

I hang out with nobody from comer by choice. You don't need to know people to know if a place is ****e or not and in my experience comer is ****e

I hang out with nobody from comer by choice. You don't need to know people to know if a place is ****e or not and in my experience comer is ****e
    Fair enough, everyone is entitled to their opinion but why stay 18years then??

• Advertisement

Good and bad eveywhere. I think
    Castlecomer would be pretty much like any other rural small town I would think. That's not for everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭foxcoverteddy

I think it sad some of the opinions of Comer, I always thought passing through what a lovely little town, as Catbear said about the closing of the coal mines, take a look at Ballingarry which also suffered, coming closer to home what would Callan be without the bacon factory or Bretts? I shall always look on Castlecomer as a place of beauty.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

Unless money is an issue, to me it is a no brainer as to where to live in the county of Kilkenny i.e. the city itself. The OP stated that equestrian activities are a prime interest as well as pets. For equestrian activities there are plenty of centres in Kilkenny. I'm not going to name a particular centre but a quick search is all that's needed. For pets, there are plenty of places to go in the City or it's environs. If it were me personally, the real issue would be where would the kids settle quickest and easiest. I'd say they'd be far more likely to settle in the city where there are a choice of schools and activities. There would be a greater range of social outlets for both OP and kids in the city i.e. clubs, cinema, pubs, restaurants etc.

As someone born and bred in Kilkenny city, i would have a more negative than positive view of 'Comer. That wouldn't be the case for a similar sized spot like Thomastown. Talking to a Garda friend recently, there is a drugs problem in the town disproportionate to its size.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Benny Cake

I would literally live anywhere else in Kilkenny before I would consider living in comer.

Had a look on daft there, Houses are as cheap in Carlow nearby and look at all the services and infrastructure there. Crazy!

Benny Cake wrote: »
    I would literally live anywhere else in Kilkenny before I would consider living in comer.

Any "good" reason??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Benny Cake

Any "good" reason??

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Threadhead

Thought I couldn't type for a few minutes there, I was laughing so hard at the idea that Comer has a worse drugs problem than Thomastown. Ahhhh, anyway, carry on.

Benny Cake wrote: »

Hehaw hehaw hehaw (not much help to the OP though), did the bad man make you squeal Benny??:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

Threadhead wrote: »
    Thought I couldn't type for a few minutes there, I was laughing so hard at the idea that Comer has a worse drugs problem than Thomastown. Ahhhh, anyway, carry on.

pretty sure one of comers big dealers moved to thomastown a few years ago

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

"I'd never thought I'd see the like, What next? Someone will be murdered, and then where are we? Drive-by shootings in the night, it'll be like "Boyz N The Hood" and we'll have whores selling their wares on the street and the pimps will be using crack to keep the whores under control, I'm going now to lock myself in the basement until they catch that fella"

360764.jpg

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

Threadhead wrote: »

Yea but Thomastown is quite a pretty town with a few nice restaurants, shops and housing estates. Generally more upmarket I'd say. Nice countryside too unlike Castlecomer which is depressing as fcuk. If I had to choose between the two it'd be Thomastown hands down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

Despite what happened Carroll's beer garden thomastown beats comer for me.

Advertisement