Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

callan

Options
  • 19-08-2015 9:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭

Unless you have business in the town most miss the town when travelling on the N76, an improvement on the days that HGV's passed down Bridge Street.
    Callan has two supermarkets, one wants you out as quick as possible; whilst the other is not too good on the use by or sell by dates, it is no good someone saying your own fault, explain how one tells what the sell by date is on undated food.
    My contention is that a shop keeper is duty bound to ensure customers only get food which is fit to eat, though there is a school of thought which says these dates are only guide lines, I don't believe in taking chances thank you.
    We have only a store selling male clothes, very good actually for the others hard luck go to Clonmel or Kilkenny.
    History wise there is very little noted in Callan, nothing for the Candlers of Coco Cola fame, the Cuddihy's, okay they went to America to achieve fame and fortune, the Famine graveyard, not really mentioned, Skerries Castle oh dear where is that? The church in the main street is locked and try going to the abbey, in addition there is not too much about the High king who it was reported drowned try to save a servant.
    I have not seen a weekly or monthly Callan news web site, the place is big enough.
    So one cannot blame Callan people travelling to Clonmel to shop,
    Sad really, Callan needs another supermarket, a restaurant though Carrolls Bar is well spoken of and rumour has it Swans of Chinese restaurant fame now owner the old charter, maybe a new restaurant. The kebab shop is well thought of, we do not have a sit down chipper i.e. Supermack and that is about it. The town that time has forgotten.
    Foxy for Callan to be a shining example.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

It's now a dormer town for Kilkenny, lots of people like living there because it is so quiet.
    If you are to believe the old adage of "what kells was, kilkenny is, callan will be" you'll be waiting for almost another millennia to find out if there's any truth to that prophecy.
    Good film set though to 1950s stories, Irish version of Heartbeat perhaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,414 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Callan is definitely one of the better small towns in Co Kilkenny anyhow. Heaps better than say Freshford, Castlecomer or Urlingford. It's got a decent range of businesses and employers (2 business parks) out there and fairly good infrastructure.
    Some lovely housing developments, the town centre had gotten a revamp the last time I was there too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭foxcoverteddy

One accepts Callan is no more than a dormer town for it's neighbours Kilkenny and Clonmel, having said that there is no reason it should stop still, yes there was some development but still lacking in many things, it needs to be revitalised, a Tesco or Dunnes might well just do it for the town.
    There isn't much in the way of building at the moment, there are unfinished apartments from the good days. I suppose the move of the dental Clinic was good.
    Yes Breakfast from Pluto was great I used to sit around with our lad in his buggy watching the filming.
    Perhaps one day it will be Kilkenny near Callan
    Hopeful Foxy

A town with a history which is hidden, there appears to be very little attempt to cash in on a rich tapestry of events.
    Someone decided to tidy up the Green street by making sideways parking bays and putting in a Bus Stop alas they could not run to a shelter for those not fortunate to have the facility of aq car, though they may well be the sensible ones.
    Going to the Iverk show it came home we do not have a Gardening Club the ICW does not exist, we sadly lack a restaurant of any note.
    Without doubt Callan needs, I have complained about the by-pass only to be shot down, but what is interesting is who has purchased the site by the turn off for Aldi, anyone knowledge.
    Come on Callan make our town something, we need a river walk, Bridge st that was Coyne St need to be one way, the by pass needs to be widened at the junction with West Court/Bacon Factory, something needs to be done with the Bell, we need a shop that sells clothes for more than one sex.
    We could do with one of the chain take aways, anything to liven the place,
    When will Callan be.
    Foxy, oh yes when is the council going to change the sign on the 691 showing Callan in the wrong direction, are they totally incapable, answer Yes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

One accepts Callan is no more than a dormer town for it's neighbours Kilkenny and Clonmel, having said that there is no reason it should stop still, yes there was some development but still lacking in many things, it needs to be revitalised, a Tesco or Dunnes might well just do it for the town.
    There isn't much in the way of building at the moment, there are unfinished apartments from the good days. I suppose the move of the dental Clinic was good.
    Yes Breakfast from Pluto was great I used to sit around with our lad in his buggy watching the filming.
    Perhaps one day it will be Kilkenny near Callan
    Hopeful Foxy

A Tesco was supposed to go into Callan. It was going to be a regional HQ iirq. One asshole put a stop to that. Its sad how one person can ruin something good for the whole community.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

JohnMc1 wrote: »
    A Tesco was supposed to go into Callan. It was going to be a regional HQ iirq. One asshole put a stop to that. Its sad how one person can ruin something good for the whole community.

One person?
    People against it included Supervalue, RG Data and others. Last I remember it was RG Data/Musgraves that kept going against it. They did the exact same with Aldi.

In hindsight of course we know that even if Tesco had got planning they never would have actually built and/or opened the store.

Tesco are in awful trouble in UK and Ireland and they have a number of very large stores built which are sitting unopened due to this. Callan could have ended up with one of those ghost stores, this would have been awful for the town.

Instead we got a Aldi, better value then Tesco and it does a steady business. They also opened the place very quickly.

Not sure Tesco would have been considered good for the whole community either, depending on their range they could have massively affected O'Brien's and other small business in the town. This wouldn't be good for the community.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,414 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Cabaal wrote: »
    One person?
    People against it included Supervalue, RG Data and others. Last I remember it was RG Data/Musgraves that kept going against it. They did the exact same with Aldi.

In hindsight of course we know that even if Tesco had got planning they never would have actually built and/or opened the store.

Tesco are in awful trouble in UK and Ireland and they have a number of very large stores built which are sitting unopened due to this. Callan could have ended up with one of those ghost stores, this would have been awful for the town.

Instead we got a Aldi, better value then Tesco and it does a steady business. They also opened the place very quickly.

Not sure Tesco would have been considered good for the whole community either, depending on their range they could have massively affected O'Brien's and other small business in the town. This wouldn't be good for the community.

In fairness they've actually opened in towns smaller than Callan and still appear to be operating so I think they were seriously intending/open in Callan.
    Super Valu etc were just looking after their own vested interests at the end of the day.

I think posts on callan, one needs to look at the broad spectrum of this country town's past and future. Truth is Kilkenny County have done very little, whereas if more interest had been taken Callan would not be the drab unwanted dormitory of Kilkenny city. Take a look at Bridge Street, then Mill St and West St, traffic wise they are dire, does anyone care, it would appear not, just take a look at the public toilets, perhaps no, they are not bad, and perhaps you will excuse this they are an effing disgrace, if you can find them open, lets face it Kilkenny is not tops in toilets.
    Just wait until the Christmas lights go up, Merry Christmas, Foxy

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

I think posts on callan, one needs to look at the broad spectrum of this country town's past and future. Truth is Kilkenny County have done very little, whereas if more interest had been taken Callan would not be the drab unwanted dormitory of Kilkenny city. Take a look at Bridge Street, then Mill St and West St, traffic wise they are dire, does anyone care, it would appear not, just take a look at the public toilets, perhaps no, they are not bad, and perhaps you will excuse this they are an effing disgrace, if you can find them open, lets face it Kilkenny is not tops in toilets.

Christmas....ffs it's not even September yet. Who do you you think you are ?Mr. Brown Thomas
    Foxy says Brown Thomas for Callan :)

I am sorry but fail to understand your comment, perhaps you might expand on the Brown Thomas aspect, which of course we all (I think) know is not the kind of shop for Callan, Kilkenny yes please, this would rocket our city to one of the best places to shop in Ireland.
    Even Shaw's would be beneficial, in any case do have a nice day, Foxy

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

The problems with all the streets traffic wise are caused by poor parking,
    Just look at the new bus stop up near Supervalue, there's always idiots illegally parked in it. This causes the bus to stop in the middle of the street and causes traffic issues.

If you look at the councils plans for Bridge street in 1996 you'll see that Upper Bridgestreet was supposed to have only loading bays with next to no "normal" parking. But the council never lined the road for this. So now everyone just throws cars where they want...including on the bridge which only a complete idiot does.

Traffic in Mill Street has much improved since the Dentist moved up to the old Windgap road as the employee's accounted for I'd say 10-15 cars parked on the street most of the time. You've only to look at their new premises to see how many cars the business attracts, so it was a good move on their part as now its easier for their customer's to park...and safer.

Yes a very clear observation of some of Callan's problem, I wonder why no one has thought that the buses could all come in one way and take their respective destinations on reaching the by-pass, and why not a bus shelter as the service is not every few minutes and Green street is not that well sheltered from the elements. Foxy

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Wimbago

In fairness Cabaal look where the parking bay for the buses coming from Clonmel side have been allocated to park, a marked spot in the middle of the street. Incredibly poor planning. Shameful really.

As for Callan needing/having a restaurant - couldn't see it having the footfall to ever justify it. A profitable small restaurant would require what, an average of 30 covers a night (like most restaurants the bulk of the average coming from weekends) and I just don't see that happening in Callan. Maybe a place like KFC, McDonalds etc. would be sustainable at the site in front of Aldi with visibility from the by-pass. A restaurant in the middle of the town wouldn't really have a hope given there is nearly no passing traffic entering the town these days.

Has anyone any idea who has purchased the site near Aldi which borders on the by-pass, truly an ideal spot for a fast food chain, and probably the right size. It is rumoured that the Old charter could be a new restaurant as the buyers are owners of an in town Chinese.
    Trouble is being a dormer Callan is looking very tired, there is little one can shout about, so many things cannot be purchased, it is either Kilkenny or clonmel, and in truth High St Kilkenny is really just a tourist spot, it is not a shoppers paradise, with the closing of yet another old favourite it gets worse, You think the old co-op building is still standing empty, how many years, an eyesore, Mill St keep your eyes closed it is a dump. Poor Callan needs investment, and when you get people who put silly remarks you can understand the problem. Foxy and a Happy New year as well

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Wimbago

Trouble is being a dormer Callan is looking very tired

Maybe from a retail point of view but aesthetically the town has never looked better. The new paving has given it a nice clean look to go along with the fact it's pretty much litter free.

You are right of course, it does look much much better and litter free, pity Supervalu doesn't do something with their car park, but perhaps they do not own the land. Will be interesting to see what happens with the site opposite Aldi, and what is happening in Bridge St, lots of activity, pity no money has been spent on the historic past of our very lovely town, although a certain firm says it is a village, telling porkies perhaps.
    Foxy

Wimbago wrote: »
    Maybe from a retail point of view but aesthetically the town has never looked better. The new paving has given it a nice clean look to go along with the fact it's pretty much litter free.

and although I could be imagining it, the talking lamppost in green street seems to have gotten inconsiderate dog owners to clean up after themselves.

Now, if they'd just do the same on the football pitches on the fair green the world would be a better place

Still no news as to who has taken the site opposite Aldi?

Actually entered this thread to ask you Fox. Interesting to see what will go there. Looks a small patch?

JohnMc1 wrote: »

Not so sure Tesco would add an awful lot to be honest. Aldi doesnt take an awful lot from the centre of town but Tesco has the potential to. Lidl could add some valuable competition though.

• Advertisement

In truth as I see it, there is not a lot anyone can take from the town, Many Aldi shoppers seem oblivious to the fact that there are some other retailers up the road, not many but there is. Tesco, Lidl and Dunnes would only draw more from the outlying villages who might save themselves a trip into Kilkenny.
    The site on the corner, very interesting perhaps an Applegreen? You think there is nothing from the Callan road roundabout until just before clonmel, not true you say, ah Cronin's at Ninemilehouse, a garage worth patronising for their efforts if you live nearby or are on the Clonmel road, if you come off the yet to be finished ring road you miss the petrol station, as a visitor I cannot remember any sign which tells a driver there is petrol round the corner. The two garages in Callan are not really conspicuous to travellers, but I will keep an ear to the ground for any info on the site, Chopstix would be a great improvement on the culinary delights of our town.

In truth as I see it, there is not a lot anyone can take from the town, Many Aldi shoppers seem oblivious to the fact that there are some other retailers up the road, not many but there is. Tesco, Lidl and Dunnes would only draw more from the outlying villages who might save themselves a trip into Kilkenny.
    The site on the corner, very interesting perhaps an Applegreen? You think there is nothing from the Callan road roundabout until just before clonmel, not true you say, ah Cronin's at Ninemilehouse, a garage worth patronising for their efforts if you live nearby or are on the Clonmel road, if you come off the yet to be finished ring road you miss the petrol station, as a visitor I cannot remember any sign which tells a driver there is petrol round the corner. The two garages in Callan are not really conspicuous to travellers, but I will keep an ear to the ground for any info on the site, Chopstix would be a great improvement on the culinary delights of our town.

Ran by an old schoolmate of mine :) Does a good car valet btw

Any white smoke on the site opposite Aldi in Callan?

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭LadyBetty

I heard a rumour that the site opposite Aldi is earmarked for KFC fast food, has anyone else heard this?

LadyBetty wrote: »
    I heard a rumour that the site opposite Aldi is earmarked for KFC fast food, has anyone else heard this?

Hmm no i didnt but thats interesting if true. A sign of even small towns becoming more and more globalised.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

Hmm no i didnt but thats interesting if true. A sign of even small towns becoming more and more globalised.
    ...or just more small town.

catbear wrote: »
    ...or just more small town.

By Globalised i mean, international firms competing with the existing local or national firms whereas it would normally be the case that a small town like Callan might at best have a national franchise like Supervalu trading locally, They now have Aldi and if the rumours are true maybe the Colonel is joining them. This could spawn some long term growth but it could have a knock on effect for the local retailer, good in some cases but bad for direct competing firms.

LadyBetty wrote: »

I doubt it,
    One in Clonmel and Kilkenny already, neither do as big s trade as McDonalds,

Even if they did put in for it you can be sure as hell it won't be successful in the planning stage, I'd say all the people living near by will object as it would bring a certain anti-social element to that area

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭stratowide

I see that there is a digger loading topsoil this morning.Dont know who bought it yet or whats going in there.

stratowide wrote: »
    I see that there is a digger loading topsoil this morning.Dont know who bought it yet or whats going in there.

Do not chicken out, seriously no one is giving anything away, no planning request. Merry Christmas and a happy new year, take a look at ballingarry they have got it together, foxy on the move

• Advertisement

Lets hope someone will spill the beans on what is happening to the corner site, Callan needs so much, there is very little for youngsters to meet in comfort, it is fine being a dormitory town of Kilkenny but put something into it,
    Whilst on the subject of Callan our supermarkets do not seem to be improving, one manages to sell some very short dated food, in fact past its use by date in some cases, but as a member of staff said one day won't kill you, and the other one wants you out of the shop as quickly as possible.
    However we now have a new super Lidl in Clonmel, it is a wow shop and next door Dunnes, worth the ride.
    I hear the camera van has been around the town, and on the by-pass, keep yer eyes peeled.
    Foxy

Advertisement