Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

callan

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭Help!!!!

Are people aware that the family resource centre were forced to move from the friary complex on mill street?
    The friary complex was left to the people of Callan to be used for the people of Callan & not to be used for commercial purposes.
    Now it looks like a commercial business is moving in.
    The place was renovated with tax payers money for the family resource centre over E300,000 was spent
    Sooner or later the older people will die out & people will forget that the complex was for the people of Callan & someone will be much the richer

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭foxcoverteddy

Come on Callan, wake up have your say about these developments, it may not be now but in the future, look at the old coop, sold without a word as to the buyer, underhand job again, check to see who is buying up our town, it may not be ours much longer, then we have no say what happens. so if you sit on your rear end do not blame anyone else. Foxy

Come on Callan, wake up have your say about these developments, it may not be now but in the future, look at the old coop, sold without a word as to the buyer, underhand job again, check to see who is buying up our town, it may not be ours much longer, then we have no say what happens. so if you sit on your rear end do not blame anyone else. Foxy

Theres at least one politician on one of the board of directors involved with the friary. Others have had people complain about it but are doing nothing about it. It would be such a shame if the people of Callan lose what was given to them

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭kikel

What politician is on the board of directors?

Can anyone please explain as to how the friary was left to the people of Callan and now someone has taken it away, all the groups having been ejected. Is the politician prepared to make a statement as to what has transpired, and where did the 300,000 euro for work come from? Please we cannot let this matter rest we need answers, we live in a transparent society but in Callan it appears to be undercover. Foxy will not let this one rest

• Advertisement

Can anyone please explain as to how the friary was left to the people of Callan and now someone has taken it away, all the groups having been ejected. Is the politician prepared to make a statement as to what has transpired, and where did the 300,000 euro for work come from? Please we cannot let this matter rest we need answers, we live in a transparent society but in Callan it appears to be undercover. Foxy will not let this one rest

The family resource centre were forced to move out & I have heard rumours a commercial business is moving in
    The building next to the friary which was offices but also left to Callan has foreigners living in it

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Foxy,if you think we live in a transparent society you are deluded . I heard that a private company had designs on the friary complex and has been making moves on it, seems I heard correctly!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭kikel

Why can't Commercial businesses use the centre?
    When was 300k spent?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

Help!!!! wrote: »
    The family resource centre were forced to move out & I have heard rumours a commercial business is moving in
    The building next to the friary which was offices but also left to Callan has foreigners living in it
    Well the Franciscans were foreigners to begin with so maybe a new tradition will evolve.

catbear wrote: »
    Well the Franciscans were foreigners to begin with so maybe a new tradition will evolve.

So your happy for the friary to go make someone richer than they already are?

• Advertisement

So your happy for the friary to go make someone richer than they already are?
    Comparatively the friars would have been richer than everyone around when they were established. Remember they could collect tithes.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Foxy,if you think we live in a transparent society you are deluded . I heard that a private company had designs on the friary complex and has been making moves on it, seems I heard correctly!

My understand is the commercial business is simply a side business of camphill,

I wouldn't be in the least surprised if they force eviction somehow on the community creche currently in the Friary Complex so they can move their own creche in there.

Its a very attractive creche building considering it was purpose built,

Nice one folks, it looks like a legality problem, okay the friary was left to the people of callan, that is a very broad term and from a legal standpoint everyone and no one, as there has to be a trustee to deal with the legal and financial aspect, so who appointed the trustee(s) in the name of the people of Callan, we move on, where does the money go received from the various groups, ah yes the upkeep of the complex, one must presume this is done by the trustees. Can one ask are the trustees receiving any remuneration for their services?. Okay, a commercial com[pany is reputed to be going in, does this now change the position of the complex from a possible charitable legal position to a commercial rate one, if it is true the offices are rented out then there must be a rate payable to the council plus of course water etc and are the rents peppercorn or based on commercial values, where is the money going? Who on the trustees decided on evicting the tenent. So the groups are moving to the old boys school, who owns that, or has there been an underhand change effected.
    Whilst on the subject of underhand transfers etc, what happened to the move of the library to the workhouse, I was under the impression that the workhouse was given by the donor to the people of Callan, perhaps someone could give a clue to who these mysterious persons are.
    I am told and it is only rumour that looking at a map of Callan who owns what would come as a surprise, bearing in mind that Callan is bound to grow in the coming years, it could well provide, I will leave that in the air. Foxy

Cabaal wrote: »
    My understand is the commercial business is simply an side business of camphill,

I wouldn't be in the least surprised if they force eviction somehow on the community creche currently in the Friary Complex so they can move their own creche in there.

Its a very attractive creche building considering it was purpose built,

From what I was told its going to be a gym

Also the issue isn't with foreigners living there. The property were for offices, the property was given to the people of Callan not to be used to house any people ( & it looks like it could be a death trap if went on fire )

kikel wrote: »
    Why can't Commercial businesses use the centre?
    When was 300k spent?

It is meant to be used by the community
    The money was spent over a number of years renovating it while the resource centre was there

Also the issue isn't with foreigners living there. The property were for offices, the property was given to the people of Callan not to be used to house any people ( & it looks like it could be a death trap if went on fire )
    Who sad anything about housing? Anyway it has to be refurbished to facilitate its new role as a refugee resource centre. The Franciscans would have approved.

Wow there, who said refugees were coming? Is this general knowledge? All this going on suggests Callan needs an on line news facility, the days when everything was spouted the Kilkenny People should be long gone, it is on-line we should be, and whilst on the subject is it not ancient to be saying Kilkenny and county, Callan and environs taking in that part of tipperary that is nearer to Callan, such villages as Ninemilehouse, drangan and Mullinahone, not forgetting Ballingarry, most of the people come to Callan it would make sense. What else is happening in Callan that is not transparent.
    Time has come for the truth on what is happening. Foxy

Well that's what the chap in the pub told me. Should be pretty easy to convert it into a mosque, it's nice to think that it'll continue to have a religious use.

Catbear, do the people of Callan get a say in this, do we want a mosque and the parking is not that good, with Callan bacon down the road the likely hood
    could be remote, what about a Callan news service to keep us updated

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Well that's what the chap in the pub told me. Should be pretty easy to convert it into a mosque, it's nice to think that it'll continue to have a religious use.

Anything can be turned into a mosque. My home town.

Central-Mosque-Northampton.jpg

to

9297791-large.jpg

The thriving Muslim communities of Callan could get something similar.

Well Foxy I don't think Callan had a say in the Franciscans setting up there either. Usually they needed to be granted land by the local lord of the time, the peasants had no say.
    Anyway what's one middle-east cult being replaced by another anyway?

As for bacon, as Clinton said about smoking weed "I did not inhale"!

Callan should be glad of something exotic.

Anything can be turned into a mosque. My home town.
    Churches make prettier mosques though. I visited this one in Nicoscia.
    selimiye05.jpg
    A Franciscan abbey converted to a Mosque would be a great tourist draw. Finally put Callan on the map.
    It would fulfill the prophesy "What Kells was, Kilkenny is and Callan will be".

No one said how.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Churches make prettier mosques though. I visited this one in Nicoscia.
    selimiye05.jpg
    A Franciscan abbey converted to a Mosque would be a great tourist draw. Finally put Callan on the map.
    It would fulfill the prophesy "What Kells was, Kilkenny is and Callan will be".

No one said how.

It would certainly draw the faithful from far and wide, they are open 24 hours a day at certain time of the year too.

If they're smart about they could create a load of extra stuff around Callan, make a junior Haj site, a miniature Mecca.

Perhaps Slievenamon could be adapted as a Muslim pilgrimage site to match Croke Patrick.

I think we're onto something here.

Who sad anything about housing? Anyway it has to be refurbished to facilitate its new role as a refugee resource centre. The Franciscans would have approved.

There are already people living in the building. They are not refugees some are Polish

There are already people living in the building. They are not refugees some are Polish
    No, this is about the future plans. Anyway the Franciscans were an Italian order from Assisi so if were happy to have Italians in the place then what's your beef with Polish people?

Seems there been a lot of ill informed rumours
    From what I've heard from people who have business with the friary complex the Camphill crowd are trying to take the whole place over. The friary is going to be used for commercial business ( a gym ) the building beside it is already being used to house Polish people. If they also evict the crèche that's there then the majority of people of Callan will have no use whatsoever of the friary complex.

Well from what I've seen of the people of Callan need a gym ASAP!

• Advertisement

No, this is about the future plans. Anyway the Franciscans were an Italian order from Assisi so if were happy to have Italians in the place then what's your beef with Polish people?

Do you think that it is ok that a building left to the local people has been turned into a sort of hostel, a building that is not meant as a living building & that has no fire escape? What happens if said building goes on fire & the people living there all die, how does that look for Callan then?
    Also what happened over a hundred years ago has no bearing on whats happening today
    The friary complex was left to the Callan community not for someone to build an empire

Advertisement