Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

callan

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭Help!!!!

catbear wrote: »
    Well from what I've seen of the people of Callan need a gym ASAP!

So your not actually from Callan then?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭foxcoverteddy

That is a fat lot of use, honest

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

Help!!!! wrote: »
    So your not actually from Callan then?

Where I'm from won't reduce the fear of exercise or increase dietary awareness as I witnessed in Callan.

Where I'm from won't reduce the fear of exercise or increase dietary awareness as I witnessed in Callan.

But we're not talking about exercise or fat/skinny people. We're talking about property left to the Callan community essentially being taken over and used by a minority with no benefit to Callan

But we're not talking about exercise or fat/skinny people. We're talking about property left to the Callan community essentially being taken over and used by a minority with no benefit to Callan
    Yes, if as you say it will be a gym then those who exercise are certainly a minority in Callan.

don't you have a community hall anyway. I get the feeling that it doesn't matter if the friary never gets used as long as Callan retain the right to let it decay.
    If it's such fire hazard then shouldn't it be razed?

• Advertisement

Yes, if as you say it will be a gym then those who exercise are certainly a minority in Callan.

don't you have a community hall anyway. I get the feeling that it doesn't matter if the friary never gets used as long as Callan retain the right to let it decay.
    If it's such fire hazard then shouldn't it be razed?

The building where people are living were offices not meant for human accommodation. The friary had a lot of renovation for it to be a family resource centre paid for by grants. The family resource centre were evicted.
    No one wants the building to be decayed, maybe you should come have a look so you can see what you commenting on

The building where people are living were offices not meant for human accommodation. The friary had a lot of renovation for it to be a family resource centre paid for by grants. The family resource centre were evicted.
    No one wants the building to be decayed, maybe you should come have a look so you can see what you commenting on
    The family resource centre without a fire escape, and you didn't report it?

The family resource centre without a fire escape, and you didn't report it?

Are you on here just to troll?
    If you read my comments there is one building, the friary which the family resource was in, all renovated. Building next door was offices now has people living in.
    All property left to Callan community

Are you on here just to troll?
    If you read my comments there is one building, the friary which the family resource was in, all renovated. Building next door was offices now has people living in.
    All property left to Callan community
    If the Callan Community own it then it's up to them to do with as they want. They obviously don't need outsiders like me or you interfering.

If the Friars still own then they can do what they want with it. Who currently holds the deeds?

If the Callan Community own it then it's up to them to do with as they want. They obviously don't need outsiders like me or you interfering.

If the Friars still own then they can do what they want with it. Who currently holds the deeds?

It is run by a trust unfortunately some members have conflicting interest's. I am not a outsider I have now lived here for a bit of time and would hate to see the building lost

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭kikel

I read somewhere yesterday it is the friary trust and also Kilkenny county council are responsible for the building. Can't find the article again.

kikel wrote: »
    I read somewhere yesterday it is the friary trust and also Kilkenny county council are responsible for the building. Can't find the article again.
    There we go then, the Friary was handed over by the Augustinians (my mistake for assuming they were Franciscans) to the Callan Friary Trust Ltd. What a Trust Ltd means is explained on this link http://www.companiesireland.com/callan-friary-trust-limited-2955/

People not happy with this need to contact the Augustinians to ask them why they did what they did.

I guess the guy down the pub was wrong about the mosque.

Curiosity got the better of me about who the politician on the board of directors are so I when off and found out.

From the list of 10 directors on the board, 2 of which are councillors.

David Fitzgerald
    Matt Doran
    Malcolm Noonan.

Has anyone approached these to find out what is happening out there?

From talking to someone who worked out there, I have been told that it was Patrick Lydon of Camphill (Also a director) who pushed to move the family resource centre from the Friary.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Well from what I've seen of the people of Callan need a gym ASAP!

I'll be honest, I'm not sure what you think you're adding in this topic.
    Its nothing very constructive so for the most part.

If you have nothing constructive to add to this topic then please don't post in this thread again

Cabaal wrote: »
    I'll be honest, I'm not sure what you think you're adding in this topic.
    Its nothing very constructive so for the most part.

If you have nothing constructive to add to this topic then please don't post in this thread again

thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 2 MKBishop

From talking to someone who worked out there, I have been told that it was Patrick Lydon of Camphill (Also a director) who pushed to move the family resource centre from the Friary.

I've looked into this before, the push is actually coming from Callan Community Network, the main people involved in CCN running are according to CRO website:

Seamus Kelly,
    Sean Butler,
    John Thomas Stapleton,
    Patrick Lydon
    Justyna MacKowska

I'd agree with some of the viewpoints here that its looks like its a long term goal to take over the entire complex including the creche so it can be used by Camphill in the long term. If I worked in the creche I'd be awful worried about my job security right now.

Its certainly not just for a third party unrelated company to move in and just start a gym thats for sure.

i was chatting to a parent who had their child in the creche for sometime and they mentioned that the heating had been turned off in the creche times previously, only weeks or months later did they find that Callan Community Network were the one's that turned off the heating on the creche! Whats wrong with these people?! (they thought it was a fault prior to that)

After that I asked around abit and I heard bits and bobs from people, basically this is some of the run down of what I managed to find out.

- CCN have been trying to evict the family resource centre for sometime..at least a year...maybe even two, one of the ways they are doing this is by claiming that the community resource centre and creche are not paying bills......specifically heating bills.
    - The heating from my observations around the building is wood chip
    - Now, here's where things get suspect as hell. The woodchip supplier to the friary complex is a side company of, can you guess? its Camphill.

And the family resource centre were not allowed to choose a different (cheaper!) woodchip supplier.

I don't have exact figures but I've been told and at the time I checked and i know that the camphill woodchip supplier is significantly higher in costs to numerous other woodchip suppliers in the south east region.

So we appear to have a situation where Patrick Lydon can basically set the price for the woodchip supply (since its camphill linked company), restrict the complex to only using the chosen supply (because he's on Callan Community Network) and then start looking to evict because the family resource centre wouldn't pay (because again he's on Callan Community Network board).

This can all potentially pave the way for Camphill to use the friary complex which benefits...once again Patrick Lydon.

While he's not the only one involved in this its all very questionable.
    In short Callan Community Network is a seriously misleading name for the organisation, they sure as hell do not have the community at heart especially when you consider what they just evicted, its disgraceful going on altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 MKBishop

People I heard are still living in the building, this is a fire safety issue and no doubt breaks numerous other laws when it comes to housing and accommodation,

The building is just fine for offices, thats what it was intended for after the friary complex was leased out. But certainly not for anyone to live in anymore

If they're a fire hazard then it can be reported to the fire officer, it's not hard.

MKBishop wrote: »
    People I heard are still living in the building, this is a fire safety issue and no doubt breaks numerous other laws when it comes to housing and accommodation,

The building is just fine for offices, thats what it was intended for after the friary complex was leased out. But certainly not for anyone to live in anymore

Yes the people are still living there, rumours of 30+

MKBishop wrote: »
    I've looked into this before, the push is actually coming from Callan Community Network, the main people involved in CCN running are according to CRO website:

Seamus Kelly,
    Sean Butler,
    John Thomas Stapleton,
    Patrick Lydon
    Justyna MacKowska

I'd agree with some of the viewpoints here that its looks like its a long term goal to take over the entire complex including the creche so it can be used by Camphill in the long term. If I worked in the creche I'd be awful worried about my job security right now.

Its certainly not just for a third party unrelated company to move in and just start a gym thats for sure.

i was chatting to a parent who had their child in the creche for sometime and they mentioned that the heating had been turned off in the creche times previously, only weeks or months later did they find that Callan Community Network were the one's that turned off the heating on the creche! Whats wrong with these people?! (they thought it was a fault prior to that)

After that I asked around abit and I heard bits and bobs from people, basically this is some of the run down of what I managed to find out.

- CCN have been trying to evict the family resource centre for sometime..at least a year...maybe even two, one of the ways they are doing this is by claiming that the community resource centre and creche are not paying bills......specifically heating bills.
    - The heating from my observations around the building is wood chip
    - Now, here's where things get suspect as hell. The woodchip supplier to the friary complex is a side company of, can you guess? its Camphill.

And the family resource centre were not allowed to choose a different (cheaper!) woodchip supplier.

I don't have exact figures but I've been told and at the time I checked and i know that the camphill woodchip supplier is significantly higher in costs to numerous other woodchip suppliers in the south east region.

So we appear to have a situation where Patrick Lydon can basically set the price for the woodchip supply (since its camphill linked company), restrict the complex to only using the chosen supply (because he's on Callan Community Network) and then start looking to evict because the family resource centre wouldn't pay (because again he's on Callan Community Network board).

This can all potentially pave the way for Camphill to use the friary complex which benefits...once again Patrick Lydon.

While he's not the only one involved in this its all very questionable.
    In short Callan Community Network is a seriously misleading name for the organisation, they sure as hell do not have the community at heart especially when you consider what they just evicted, its disgraceful going on altogether.

The rent went up 100% & bills went up 200%
    The heating was turned off in the friary as well
    Some people think they can do what they want

• Advertisement

Yes the people are still living there, rumours of 30+
    If it's not fit to live in then why aren't you reporting it?

Whole develops have been condemned in Dublin so you can't say it doesn't happen.

Here, you've no excuse now.
    http://www.kilkennycoco.ie/eng/Services/Planning/Planning_Publications/New_Fire_Safety_Certificate_Frequently_Asked_Questions.8081.shortcut.html

• Registered Users Posts: 11 kichencat

Do we know what commercial enterprise is supposed to be moving in?

It is time that Callan folk got some answers on what is happening in the Friary, they are in real danger of losing what is essentially, an important resource that belongs to them there is too much sleight of hand going on here Why was there no meeting go the town folk to inform them of proposed changes?

What politician is on the board of directors?

According to the minutes of the Kilkenny council held on the 23/6/2014: Three politicians were appointed to the Friary trust, They are: M Doran, D Fitzgerald & M Noonan

kichencat wrote: »
    It is time that Callan folk got some answers on what is happening in the Friary, they are in real danger of losing what is essentially, an important resource that belongs to them there is too much sleight of hand going on here Why was there no meeting go the town folk to inform them of proposed changes?
    Are you going against the Augustinians nominated inheritors?

If so your gripe is with the Augustinians.

Why do you assume I am going against the Augustinians nominated inheritors?
    I was under the impression that these were the people of Callan.
    I asked why there was no meeting/gathering/information session to inform the people of Callan to let them know/give them a chance to voice their opinion of what is happening to the Friary.
    Surely every resident of the town is entitled to know what is proposed/decided to this valuable asset to the town. I am sure that the 10 directors of the Trust (who have 51 directorships between then) should be accountable to the people of the town, should they not?

kichencat wrote: »
    I was under the impression that these were the people of Callan.
    Well then you're under the wrong impression. To use the definition supplied in the link I posted earlier, the Callan Friary Trust Ltd is an
    .... incorporated entity for private, commercial businesses and ventures. This is a company limited by shares, a company having the liability of its members limited by the Memorandum to the amount, if any, unpaid on the shares respectively held by them.
    Just because it has "Trust" in its title doesn't make it a public charity or community group.
    Allied Irish Bank is called First Trust Ltd in Northern Ireland but no one misunderstands that it's a risk taking venture.

So if you feel the Friary belongs to the people of Callan then was there ever a proposal to raise a household charge in Callan for the upkeep of the facility or were you relying on state funds for that?

Well then you're under the wrong impression. To use the definition supplied in the link I posted earlier, the Callan Friary Trust Ltd is an

Just because it has "Trust" in its title doesn't make it a public charity or community group.
    Allied Irish Bank is called First Trust Ltd in Northern Ireland but no one misunderstands that it's a risk taking venture.

So if you feel the Friary belongs to the people of Callan then was there ever a proposal to raise a household charge in Callan for the upkeep of the facility or were you relying on state funds for that?

I think the people of Callan believe that the company was set up in Trust for the people of Callan. The people of Callan are the beneficiaries but the company hold the deeds to the place in trust. the board most likely represents a mix of people from different walk of life who the people of callan believe will look after the place. This type of Trust could go bad depending on who is in control. There are different types of Trust as can be found in the wiki entry here.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trust

I don't know the details and think the only way of really knowing is by reading the articles & memorandum of association from when the company was set up.

Anyone in any doubt about the Friary being left to the People of Callan has only to read the article in Kilkenny People titled "the Augustinians bow out of Callan", dated Feb 16,2005. It clearly stated that the Augustinians left the Friary to the people of the town. It further states that the chairman of Callan community network said Callan owed a debt of gratitude to the Augustinians How much more information do you need that it was given to the town?

• Advertisement

I think the people of Callan believe that the company was set up in Trust for the people of Callan. The people of Callan are the beneficiaries but the company hold the deeds to the place in trust. the board most likely represents a mix of people from different walk of life who the people of callan believe will look after the place. This type of Trust could go bad depending on who is in control. There are different types of Trust as can be found in the wiki entry here.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trust

I don't know the details and think the only way of really knowing is by reading the articles & memorandum of association from when the company was set up.

I missed my point entirely, any commercial enterprise can use the word 'trust' in its name.

Advertisement