Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tips when buying a second hand Xbox 360

Options
  • 19-08-2015 11:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,433 ✭✭✭

So the young fella is asking for an xbox for Christmas. I don't want to fork out massive money for an Xbox One so I was going to buy a second hand 360.

Can ye give me some tips on what to look out for when buying second hand.

I read somewhere to go for the Slim version over the 'E' version because the build quality is better on the Slim version..and it supports different ports...is this correct?

Are there any flaws related to a certain batch/production period that I should look out for?

Are the new games for the One backward compatible?

Should I go for the 250Gb version of would the 4Gb suffice? Bear in mind my son is very young so he won't be playing any online games (I think!), mainly games from the disc.

Finally how much should I expect to pay for one? I see CEX have better prices compared to GameStop.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭Kxiii

You should be able to get a 250Gb slim in CEX for around 125. Don't bother even considering the 4gb as some games require an install to work and the 4Gb just isn't enough. If he gets an xbox live membership there are free games to download on the 1st &16th of each month and these will need some storage space to download.

The E console is just a redesign of the slim to make it look more like the xbox one. The consoles to avoid are the old white ones as these were prone to overheating, I went through 4 of the white ones in a couple of years all with overheating issues but have had a slim now for 3 or 4 years without a problem.

The XBox One games will not work on the 360, the backwards compatibility only refers to playing 360 games on the One

• Registered Users Posts: 6,433 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

Thanks for that advice Kxiii, perfect.

Yeah, sorry that's what I meant about backward compatibility, down the line it's nice to know if we upgrade to the One the 360 games will still play on it.

I might pop into CEX so and see what they can do for me.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Thanks for that advice Kxiii, perfect.

Yeah, sorry that's what I meant about backward compatibility, down the line it's nice to know if we upgrade to the One the 360 games will still play on it.

I might pop into CEX so and see what they can do for me.

Kxiii pretty much covered it, tbh.

Just a quick note on the backward compatibility though, while Microsoft have made it available to any publisher who wants to use it, it's still at their discretion. A fair amount of them seem to be jumping on board, but some have been very quiet regarding it, namely Activision (Call of Duty, etc). Just something to be aware of.

CatInABox wrote: »
    Kxiii pretty much covered it, tbh.

Just a quick note on the backward compatibility though, while Microsoft have made it available to any publisher who wants to use it, it's still at their discretion. A fair amount of them seem to be jumping on board, but some have been very quiet regarding it, namely Activision (Call of Duty, etc). Just something to be aware of.

well I think the young lad just wants to be able to play some of the Lego superheroes/Spiderman games so if they are available on the 360 that will do.

Of course I'd have to pick a few racing sims just to have a go like ;)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

well I think the young lad just wants to be able to play some of the Lego superheroes/Spiderman games so if they are available on the 360 that will do.

Of course I'd have to pick a few racing sims just to have a go like ;)

There's tons of "Lego X" games that should be dirt cheap. You should also look into getting him Minecraft, very good game.

• Advertisement

CatInABox wrote: »
    There's tons of "Lego X" games that should be dirt cheap. You should also look into getting him Minecraft, very good game.

oh he loves Minecraft, whenever he gets his hands on his older sister's tablet he plays it on that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭Wright

So the young fella is asking for an xbox for Christmas. I don't want to fork out massive money for an Xbox One so I was going to buy a second hand 360.

Can ye give me some tips on what to look out for when buying second hand.

I read somewhere to go for the Slim version over the 'E' version because the build quality is better on the Slim version..and it supports different ports...is this correct?

Are there any flaws related to a certain batch/production period that I should look out for?

Are the new games for the One backward compatible?

Should I go for the 250Gb version of would the 4Gb suffice? Bear in mind my son is very young so he won't be playing any online games (I think!), mainly games from the disc.

Finally how much should I expect to pay for one? I see CEX have better prices compared to GameStop.

Even a new 360 is super cheap nowadays man. Better to buy new. 2nd hand consoles could be banned from the online service.

The latest model should be cheap enough and come with some kind of hard-drive. 4GB is not enough for anything really. Games get updated. The 8gb on my wii u went to updates for just two games. Disc based games.

If he's very young why not get him a Wii U?

Wright wrote: »
    Even a new 360 is super cheap nowadays man. Better to buy new. 2nd hand consoles could be banned from the online service.

The latest model should be cheap enough and come with some kind of hard-drive. 4GB is not enough for anything really. Games get updated. The 8gb on my wii u went to updates for just two games. Disc based games.

If he's very young why not get him a Wii U?

thanks for those points, how could a console be banned from the service? Is it not the user name/login (account) that could be banned? Sorry if it's a dumb question. Like a PC, say a boards user is banned from boards.ie, not the PC they are using.

Well he wants an XBox (or Playstation) because his friends have one (peer pressure eh!)..and I think he'd get more enjoyment out of a XBox/PS over a Wii U because we have one of the first generation Wii consoles and I dunno, I think it's shíte.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭amadablam

thanks for those points, how could a console be banned from the service? Is it not the user name/login (account) that could be banned? Sorry if it's a dumb question. Like a PC, say a boards user is banned from boards.ie, not the PC they are using.

Well he wants an XBox (or Playstation) because his friends have one (peer pressure eh!)..and I think he'd get more enjoyment out of a XBox/PS over a Wii U because we have one of the first generation Wii consoles and I dunno, I think it's shíte.

Device bans are explained here, Microsoft have been doing it since the original xbox as have all manufacturers with online gaming services.

http://enforcement.xbox.com/Home/HowTo#sub-topic0-3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭The Randy Riverbeast

If you are getting a second hand I would stick to CEX as mentioned.

Boxed slim with 320GB for 155
    https://ie.webuy.com/product.php?sku=SXBOX360320D#.VdUDA_lVhBc

Unboxed slim 250GB for 125
    https://ie.webuy.com/product.php?sku=SX360S250B#.VdUDIPlVhBc

Unboxed E 250GB for 145.
    https://ie.webuy.com/product.php?sku=SX360E002B#.VdUDHflVhBc

I never heard of the E model until today so cant comment on the differences. Avoid this one and this one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,425 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

amadablam wrote: »
    Device bans are explained here, Microsoft have been doing it since the original xbox as have all manufacturers with online gaming services.

http://enforcement.xbox.com/Home/HowTo#sub-topic0-3

This is risky if buying from Adverts or donedeal or somewhere privately, but if you buy from CEX they'll replace any unit that was defective when they sold it (including consoles that are online banned)

For racing games, GRID Autosport has everything you could ask for in a racing game. Best racer on the console IMO

some great info here folks, thanks a lot. I wasn't aware at all about the notion of banned devices so I definitely won't be buying privately now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Totally over exaggerated scare mongering going on.

You can pick up 360's for very little on adverts, I've gotten a few slim's for about €70 and all were perfectly fine. There's a feedback system for a reason, as long as you're buying from someone who's been around awhile and/or has decent feedback, nothing to be worried about. Console ban's don't just happen, the user would have to be up to serious and deliberate antics to cause it.

You'll pay almost double the price for one in CEX though it will come with a warranty.

The advice here is akin to 'never buy a second hand car, it might break down'.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Captain Flaps

The 'E' model is the updated version they released around the same time as the Xbox One, that's why it'll be a bit pricier (though apparently not). You'll definitely get a better deal on Adverts but since it's so cheap anyway and it's a present why not just go with CEX for the peace of mind?

The 'E' model is the updated version they released around the same time as the Xbox One, that's why it'll be a bit pricier (though apparently not). You'll definitely get a better deal on Adverts but since it's so cheap anyway and it's a present why not just go with CEX for the peace of mind?

exactly, that's my thinking. Although from reading up on boards about buying from CEX online I may just buy from one of their stores.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Captain Flaps

Oh absolutely, I've done both but it took about 8 days to arrive from the online service and if I'd had a problem I don't much fancy the idea of having to do everything by post, the online lads seem to be a right shower. The stores and their employees have been universally sound out in my experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

exactly, that's my thinking. Although from reading up on boards about buying from CEX online I may just buy from one of their stores.

If you're buying from CEX definitely buy in-store. Trying to take avail of your warranty after buying from the website and you might as well have found it on a street corner. I bought a stick of RAM from their website before, they sent out the completely wrong stick, and as they have a policy of not having phone numbers for any store or head office, and only deal through one universal email for absolutely everything, it took 8 weeks to get a refund, and only after I hounded their facebook page.

edit: Anything you see online can be ordered into your local store. The online store is just a stock-check of all nationwide stock between the stores, there is no central warehouse.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭feelgoodinc27

If you get xbox live gold you can get the free games for the one as well on the xbox website in case you go for an xbox one down the road. Gold is usually €30-35 on cdkeys.com.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭Wright

Totally over exaggerated scare mongering going on.

The advice here is akin to 'never buy a second hand car, it might break down'.

We're just making him aware of the risks, settle down buttercup.

OP pop in to Smyths if you can and ask them about the 360 E's, they'll have the best prices/bundles in Ireland easily.

Thanks folks, I've just agreed a price with a seller on Adverts, bit cheaper than CEX plus getting a second controller.

@TerrorFirmer don't worry, I always buy second hand cars ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement