Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HOT Chicken wings. Where?

Options
  • 19-08-2015 11:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭

Is there anywhere in Dublin that does really hot wings. Went around a few places on Saturday to try a few out and all of them were weak.
    First off, the black sheep 'hellfire' wings. Ask the bartender and he was dubious about how hot so gave us a sample of the sauce. Like ketchup. Shame as the had a kilo bucket for 15 euro. Didn't order.
    Second. Porterhouse. These are suppose to have a selection of sauces with 'Thai fire' gaining four chilli rating. Decided to go for these. They were weak. A slight, and I mean slight bit of heat around the lips after eating but that could also be from the side of jalapeño we ordered.
    Czech inn. Supposedly the chef is good and cooks with fresh ingredients so would add plenty of chilli to give us the heat/ kick we wanted. Nope.
    Oscars. Smithfield. 'Inferno wings'. Same story. More of a sweet chilli sauce than heat.
    We ended up buying a bottle of ghost chilli sauce in Fallon and Byrne for 12 euro(I know) and putting that on our next batch of wings. https://www.southdevonchillifarm.co.uk/online-shop/chilli-sauces/bhut-jolokia-sauce-1/

I know there's a place in dundrum that so ghost wings and I think the stags head has teamed up with 147 deli, but unsure if this is a permanent thing.

So, is there anywhere that does a truely hot wing? Why have different levels of heat and names like inferno and Thai fire if they are not?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

Aussie BBQ might do them?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

Just Wing It in Tallaght square.
    Best wings in the city, and probably the country by far

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭sebcity

Yeah Cortina's in Dundrum do the ghost chilli wings

http://www.cortinas.ie/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/dinner.main_.menu_.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Nandos Extra Hot Piri Piri ones? Never tired them but imagine they'd decent heat!

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Don't know if they'd live up to your expectations, but I found the wings upstairs in The Bull & Castle to be too hot to eat recently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I tried the Wing It hottest variety a while back found it quite tame. Perhaps it was just an off day, but I was disappointed

• Registered Users Posts: 9,537 ✭✭✭cgcsb

I thought the oscar's wings were lethal hot. Of course the food in oscar's is very variable, you never know what you're gonna get.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,926 ✭✭✭trellheim

if you are eating ghost chilli on a regular most places to be fair are going to be tame enough. I sympathise though !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Slunk

Not eating ghost chilli regularly and I'm not expecting ghost chilli everywhere but idnlike my wings to be somewhat hot. Most places seem to use sweet chilli sauce or at best franks as a base.
    I've tried wing it in sin e but they sent out Buffalo and not the hottest. I queried it and they gave me a sample of the actual hottest sauce and it was decent
    In bull and castle now so will see how they do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Irish Halo

I had the Thai Fire wings in The Porterhouse in Bray (I know, I know not Dublin CC) and I thought they were pretty fecking hot and I usually use scotch bonnets (seeds in) when cooking. They have them listed on the Temple Bar menu

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭dazberry

Against the grain on Wexford St. do "Red Hot Chicken Wings", which while too hot for me (I can't get beyond Nando's medium myself) had my wife raving about them. Given she likes ridiculously hot things I'd say they might be worth trying out.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Slunk wrote: »
    Not eating ghost chilli regularly and I'm not expecting ghost chilli everywhere but idnlike my wings to be somewhat hot. Most places seem to use sweet chilli sauce or at best franks as a base.
    I've tried wing it in sin e but they sent out Buffalo and not the hottest. I queried it and they gave me a sample of the actual hottest sauce and it was decent
    In bull and castle now so will see how they do.

As mentioned above, Oscars (although I despise the place) do very good wings. Not a spice bomb by any means but certainly different to the usual franks sauce or bbq ones. They give you a load of sauce rather than just a coating.

As also said earlier, Corinas use ghost chillis, though how many exactly is hard to say (I cant look at a ghost chilli at the moment).

If you want really spicy wings in Ireland, Im afraid you might have to cook them yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭sm213

Abrakebabras chicken wings are actually quite spicy.
    Also there's the wing truck that sets up in
    Christ church's grounds from time to time. The guy that sell corndogs is American and says they're the best wings in Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭Huntergonzo

Hogs and Heifers beside the Wright venue in Swords does a hot wing challenge if you're interested, these things are no joke though!!! You have 10 minutes to eat 10 wings, you throw money into a pot (€5 I think is all it was) and if you complete the challenge then you win whatever money is in the pot, but you have to sign a waiver before you start.

3 of my mates who love spicy food tried it, 1 manged to eat 3 wings but ended up getting sick, the other 2 ran off to the jacks after a couple of bites! They don't always have the sauce though so if you're going to head over maybe just call them first and check.

http://hogsandheifers.ie/events/hogs-heifers-hot-wing-challenge/

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭snowey07

WJ Kavanaghs on Dorset Street do super hot ones. I know a serious hot wings fan who thought the extra hots one were too much for him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭OneOfThem

Second. Porterhouse. These are suppose to have a selection of sauces with 'Thai fire' gaining four chilli rating. Decided to go for these. They were weak. A slight, and I mean slight bit of heat around the lips after eating but that could also be from the side of jalapeño we ordered.

Which Porterhouse did you have the Thai Fire wings in? I had them before a couple of times in Porterhouse North and was equally underwhelmed.
    Have had them in Porterhouse Central a few times now though and they've been scorchers each time, it's a completely different sauce. Definitely the hottest I've had in Ireland . Far hotter than the hottest offering from the previously mentioned Wing It, so if you thought they were decent maybe give another Porterhouse a try?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Slunk

Had the Thai fire in porterhouse central and Grafton st. Both equally weak. Got the ghost wings in the stags head on Friday and have to say they are the business. Really nice heat from them. A bit pricey at 8.95 for six wings but I think they don't expect people to eat a bowl of them. Must drop back in and try the BBQ and other flavours. Definitely recommend the stags head. Guinness was equally delicious :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Had the Thai fire in porterhouse central and Grafton st.
    Same place. Did you go in different doors? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Had the Thai fire in porterhouse central and Grafton st. Both equally weak. Got the ghost wings in the stags head on Friday and have to say they are the business. Really nice heat from them. A bit pricey at 8.95 for six wings but I think they don't expect people to eat a bowl of them. Must drop back in and try the BBQ and other flavours. Definitely recommend the stags head. Guinness was equally delicious :D

I've had all the other wings on the Stags menu - they are very tasty but not hot in the terms we're talking. I didn't try the Ghost wings for the very reason you said - they work and their chef is a little demented.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭Bits_n_Bobs

cgcsb wrote: »
    I thought the oscar's wings were lethal hot. Of course the food in oscar's is very variable, you never know what you're gonna get.

Have to second that. Awesome wings there a while back and shocking crap more recently. Same story with their chowder - great one day and inedible muck the next.

• Advertisement
Advertisement