Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Advice on food for new puppy

• 19-08-2015 1:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 223 ✭✭

Hi all

Am looking for some advice / recommendations on food for my new puppy.

She's the 3 rd springer spaniel I've had in my life, except this one wont eat the dry food.

She has been wormed and all shots to date and vet checked.
    She came from a breeder who was feeding her gain puppy & sapling.
    My work colleague got her sister and she hoovers up the food. My gal looks at bowl sniffs and walks away .I've left the food down hours and she wont eat.
    She got thin looking so I added in some (gasp) wet food and she ate the bowl.
    Now I need to find kibble she will eat alone.
    I got a sample bag of Real nature Wilderness and this morning ate a bowl without wet food, however its very expensive. Not a deciding factor as getting her a good food she will eat is the priority .
    She seems very happy, has energy etc and drinks water.
    would appreciate some advice and yes I did read through all the food posts
    some as far back as 2011.

thanks guys

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

It could just be that she's not used to dry food on its own. Have you tried wetting it with a little hot water? Let it cool a bit before she eats it, obviously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 223 ✭✭tylerdylan

Ah yes tried that and even a little cooled gravy. She licked the gravy best she could and left the nuts!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

My puppy is a bit like that. What I found works for him (if he is having a particularly picky moment) is put a bit of water in his food and microwave it for 15-20 seconds. Helps bring out the smells. Dogs taste more with their nose than with their tongue. The smellier the food, the more appetizing.

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

tylerdylan wrote: »
    Ah yes tried that and even a little cooled gravy. She licked the gravy best she could and left the nuts!

In that case I'd say to mix in the wet and gradually reduce the wet and increase the dry so she hardly notices the change over.

There's nothing wrong with feeding wet either, just give an odd bone to help keep her teeth clean and you'd be fine.

Thanks guys

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,054 ✭✭✭✭tk123

kylith wrote: »
    There's nothing wrong with feeding wet either, just give an odd bone to help keep her teeth clean and you'd be fine.

+1 I was just about to say the same thing. There's plenty of good quality wet foods - I used to bulk my girls raw meals out with Rocco Junior from zooplus when she was a pup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭SingItOut

My terrier is a very fussy eater, so every second day I boil some tesco brand brown rice and put it into her food. As another poster said above it helps bring out the smell, She eats every last little bit. Some other days I mix tinned mackerel (in sunflower oil) into the nuts, she and my other dog go crazy for it. On the other days she gets the nuts just plain, some days she'll eat it, others she won't. If your dog doesn't eat her food don't offer her anything else because she'll learn that something better will come along, it's just something you have to be consistent with. Take her food up after a few minutes then offer it to her later on, if she doesn't eat it then just take it up for the next day.

Thanks for the tips and advice. I will give it a try

Advertisement