Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fergal D'Arcy to get daily show on Today FM

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭CarrickMcJoe

Can he run and do pushups like the old model? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Laurel_Patente

Fergal D'arcy can be insufferable on iRadio but in fairness to him he's a very good DJ and you get the feeling he was sticking to a certain script on iRadio...should be a good fit for Today FM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Joeseph Balls

Fergal D'arcy can be insufferable on iRadio but in fairness to him he's a very good DJ and you get the feeling he was sticking to a certain script on iRadio...should be a good fit for Today FM

'You're sooooo sound'
    Or on any wierd/humourous story in the news...
    'I had a friend, right, who....'
    Hopefully it was a script on iRadio. He does show some talent through the headwreck stuff sometimes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Euphoria Intensifies

Wouldn't be a fan of Fergal D'Arcy's, but I think he will do well on Today FM. I'd be interested to hear what kind of stuff he plays, as Colm O'Sullivan always played a bit of an eclectic mix.

Wonder who will replace him on iRadio? He will be a big loss to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭DopeTech

'I had a friend, right, who....'.

Oh that guy. Now i know who he is! Didn't think he would really be up to today fm standards but they do seem to only be going one way the last few years.

https://www.buymeacoffee.com/dopetech.ie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭djemba djemba

Can he run and do pushups like the old model? :D

Colm and Ed Smith must read this forum. That was one of the questions they asked him. That and can he press play on a cd player.

Ray D'Arcy must have been an awful dose to work with going by how many current/former Today FM employees have made jibes like that since he left.

FrostyJim wrote: »
    Oh that guy. Know i know who he is! Didn't think he would really be up to today fm standards but they do seem to only be going one way the last few years.

Yep that guy. I agree, I thought he is more suited to the teenage audience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,397 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Ray D'Arcy must have been an awful dose to work with going by how many current/former Today FM employees have made jibes like that since he left.

Yeah I mean even when they announce a new presenter they can't resist having a shot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,716 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

FrostyJim wrote: »
    Oh that guy. Now i know who he is! Didn't think he would really be up to today fm standards but they do seem to only be going one way the last few years.

I don't think they are that high!

I think he will do well though, he seems to be popular with the listeners.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Laurel_Patente

I've seen him do DJing at small festivals he can actually put together a good set...I think you are generally encouraged to be as lowest common denominator as possible on iRadio, Chris & Ciara have improved a site since moving on from it.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Interesting to note that iRadio haven't been advertising for on-air staff both before and after the announcement. I wonder is there a link to the on-air staff Spin South West were looking for a few weeks ago?

I love when there's a move in the industry. Has a domino effect on a lot of stations.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,530 ✭✭✭PieOhMy

Just wondering to what extent would shows like his be scripted? As in a topic per day to discuss generally?

I've just started listening to iradio after moving back to Galway and am surprised at how tedious I find this show and I'd have always had it on before.

May be I notice it more because I look out for it but there seems to be a lot of nostalgia based topics, games played as kids, food from childhood, family holidays, 'Cmere D'ya remember Wham Bars?!?!?' etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭Breaston Plants

That'stheguywhodoesn'tusefullstopswhentalking.....

PieOhMy wrote: »

May be I notice it more because I look out for it but there seems to be a lot of nostalgia based topics, games played as kids, food from childhood, family holidays, 'Cmere D'ya remember Wham Bars?!?!?' etc etc

Followed by something like,
    'i had a friend, right, that at 74 wham bars in one sitting and his stomach such together... Text us in your mad wham bar stories'.
    :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,668 ✭✭✭Damien360

Whose slot did he get on Todayfm ?

Damien360 wrote: »
    Whose slot did he get on Todayfm ?

Colm O Sullivan's, as he's moved to the Programme Director position.

Luke O Faolain from Beat has tweeted that he's taking the drive time slot on iRadio.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,869 ✭✭✭statto25

Haven't listened to Today FM at seven for a while...how is Darcy getting on? His intro had a lot of shouting and nonsense so I take it he just took the iRadio show to Today FM?

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭Breaston Plants

statto25 wrote: »
    Haven't listened to Today FM at seven for a while...how is Darcy getting on? His intro had a lot of shouting and nonsense so I take it he just took the iRadio show to Today FM?

He's very, very, very LOUD. ...

• Advertisement

He is indeed very loud. But I think his Today FM show is a *little* bit calmer than the iRadio one. Or maybe I've just heard him on quieter nights :P

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭sligono1

I wouldn't not listen to him on I and I gave him another chance on Today FM sadly he's a bit better but yes loud and annoying and talks too much drivel .can DJs on radio just play music and shut up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Claude Burgundy

He is indeed very loud. But I think his Today FM show is a *little* bit calmer than the iRadio one. Or maybe I've just heard him on quieter nights :P

Yeah and he's dialed down his accent as well, almost sounds fake compared to iRadio.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭reg114

Yeah and he's dialed down his accent as well, almost sounds fake compared to iRadio.

Way too much shouty shouty stuff for that time of the day, maybe more suited to breakfast or something. It's a very very different show to its predecessors , maybe Today FM are aiming for younger listeners?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Claude Burgundy

reg114 wrote: »
    Way too much shouty shouty stuff for that time of the day, maybe more suited to breakfast or something. It's a very very different show to its predecessors , maybe Today FM are aiming for younger listeners?

Or building him for something else in the future, in the past that time slot has given a few presenters that moved into the daytime schedule. He's also been given a Sunday show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Covering for Dermot and/or Dave at the moment.

He has the most generic radio voice. He sounds like every DJ on every local station in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 614 ✭✭✭colinod0806

The thing that annoys me about D'Arcy is how so much debate starting stuff happens to him or one of his friends. I don't know why but the fact that I know it's made up just annoys me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Chip Whitley

Had never heard of him until Today FM but gave him a chance and despite the forced 'radio voice' I've been enjoying him whenever I've heard him. But on a show last week he started a conversation about things that parents say, but that have hidden meanings. He "read out texts" and "had opinions" that were almost word for word taken from (I think) a DailyEdge.ie article about the same topic from the previous few days. Really smacked of desperation and turned me off him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Can't knock someone for "borrowing" ideas and articles 99% of radio is like that! Original ideas are few and far between these days. I think the radio voice is him trying too be a bit more polished (perhaps under orders from management?) on a national station then the kinda natural/culchie tone he used on iradio. Once he's settled in and finds a middle ground between the two he'll be fine I think

• Advertisement

I find this borrowing of topics is still fresher than the replacements on iradio at the moment.

I realise it's the done thing on many shows but its reached levels similar to the annoying guy in college who shoves his phone under your nose and forces you to watch dozens of viral clips ad nauseam.

Essentially teasing several times and eventually playing clips of carpool karaoke/mean tweets etc

Should the goal not be to create original entertaining segments rather than lauding what others have done?

I've often looked down my newsfeed on Facebook and seen the most recent ladbible / joe.ie post only to hear 10 mins later an analysis of the same post!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

My god, he is absolutely awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭IUA14

His voice is irritating...this whole week it will be him leading into Louise Duffy...oh Today FM what have you done?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,670 ✭✭✭prunudo

I don't mind him in the evening but listening to him at lunch there he needs to tone down the stupid 'banta' and stop laughing at his own 'jokes'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

He will be on the 2 to 6 pm slot now on saturdays, while the premiership is off for the summer. So no more Martin King(established radio voices are being increasingly sidelined on all stations).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭clappyhappy

Wow, I enjoyed Martin king during the summer months, surprised he is not doing it. D'Arcy is fine, grown on me over time, I do like his music though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭Mr Snow

what is hector up to since joining today fm I only him a few times since he join today fm. is he still with them or has he left radio

Not sure what his status is as regards radio but hes opened a gym type place in Galway recently I think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭I wear socks

Hector never got his own slot on Today Fm, he just filled in for Ian Dempsey and Anton Savage a few times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

I had the misfortune of having to listen to this guy a few times on the way home from work.

He's ****ing insufferable. Sounds like a complete amateur.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,278 ✭✭✭✭flazio

He had pretty much that exact slot on i102-104 / iRadio so he's not completely out of his depth.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭smallfridge

And let's not forget at his peak Fergal had 115,000 listeners on IRadio.

That's more than the current Louise Duffy slot and 2fm drive

Good luck to him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭jjll

Well it will take awhile to get upto them figures if you take the figures for 2 to 430 slot after duffy destroyed it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭flangemeistro

And let's not forget at his peak Fergal had 115,000 listeners on IRadio.

That's more than the current Louise Duffy slot and 2fm drive

Good luck to him
    What is this 2fm Drive you speak of?
    The 2fm show that's on at that time is Tracy Clifford who on the last book had around 130000 listeners so she's not being too shabby herself.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭smallfridge

Actually last book that time slot had 121000. But my point was when on drive himself at IRadio. He had more listeners than 2fm drive.

He clearly has a following and I've no doubt will bring up that new show time too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Anorak34c

He has climbed the ladder very quickly at today fm. Only 9 months on evenings and already given a daytime slot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

Anorak34c wrote: »
    He has climbed the ladder very quickly at today fm. Only 9 months on evenings and already given a daytime slot.

Duffy did too for some reason:rolleyes:. From AA Roadwatch in the mornings to getting early breakfast Mon - Fri.

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭sligono1

Question I'd like to ask how is Louise Duffy still on the radio at all she is poor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Patty O Furniture

He will be on the 2 to 6 pm slot now on saturdays, while the premiership is off for the summer. So no more Martin King(established radio voices are being increasingly sidelined on all stations).

I Bet Martin didn't forecast that coming, he now has Fri & Sat off now:p
    Synode wrote: »

I saw that earlier on, but how often do the Indo recycle a story as this was posted 30m before your link
    Anorak34c wrote: »

How long did it take Foley as well in the evenings before the daily slot?
    sligono1 wrote: »
    Question I'd like to ask how is Louise Duffy still on the radio at all she is poor.

Maybe she should be Ann's assistant for once & do the job Ann had once on that same time slot in humming the tunes afaik it was Tom Dunne?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Anorak34c

Foley was 2 and a half years on nights before moving to lunchtime.

• Advertisement
Advertisement